LONG-TERM REVIEW: Zontes ZT 125 U

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:55 - 31 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Dude, don't make the claim easy on Enterprise to be nice. These are the fuckers that will bill you for a paintwork scuff that requires an electron microscope to find.

Bike - Professionally assessed and repaired.

Injuries - Claim.

Were liability reversed they'd be doing their best to get an entire new Van out of you along with the quadra-spazzing of their driver.

You're right, but I also believe in being honest and generally doing the right thing as much as possible. The rental company who tried to fuck me over before was Europcar at their Gatwick Airport branch and a second time at their Shannon Airport branch. Both times they tried to fuck me on scratches that I had noted were already there before setting off on pick-up. I despise Europcar but the company I worked for at the time kept using them.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 18 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally get my bike back tomorrow. Been some interesting developments that I am looking forward to:

1. Zontes UK (Clements Auto) told me they are bringing in a tail tidy kit for the ZT125-U for £240.00, I am going to buy one as soon as they land,

2. I noticed that SHAD make a top box and panniers kit for the ZT125-U1 and ZT125-G1. When I get the tail tidy kit in (1), I will also get the SHAD top box and panniers kit.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention other updates along the way:

1. Incident occurred on 31st March 2021,
2. Took until 20th April 2021 for Enterprise to get their insurer to call me,
3. Enterprise's insurer confirmed they will settle the claim on a without prejudice basis on 21st April 2021,
4. The bike was collected by Dentec Glasgow Ltd on 22nd April 2021,
5. Dentec told me today that they will be bringing the bike back on 19th May 2021.

Not bad eh? Only took 48 days to sort out Rolling Eyes

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:54 - 18 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it all worked out.

On the tail tidy and luggage..... aren't you enroute or planning to be enroute to your big boy licence? If that's close I'd be tempted to say don't bother with those bits they won't really do anything for resale value.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:01 - 18 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Glad it all worked out.

On the tail tidy and luggage..... aren't you enroute or planning to be enroute to your big boy licence? If that's close I'd be tempted to say don't bother with those bits they won't really do anything for resale value.

I was thinking about keeping the Zontes even after I get my big boy bike. I've already paid for the bike and I like how it gets insane mileage. Then again, maybe once I have a real motorbike I will use it less. Fuck mate, I have no idea, I am going to play it by ear.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:36 - 18 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

I was thinking about keeping the Zontes even after I get my big boy bike. I've already paid for the bike and I like how it gets insane mileage. Then again, maybe once I have a real motorbike I will use it less. Fuck mate, I have no idea, I am going to play it by ear.

Will make a good winter hack if you happen to end up with something else nicer and shinier that you don't want covered in road salt etc.

Resale isn't going to be massive so it's not like it's a load of cash tied up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:44 - 18 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Will make a good winter hack if you happen to end up with something else nicer and shinier that you don't want covered in road salt etc.

Actually very valid, I did ride through the last winter and to be honest didn't see all the fuss some people make about winter riding. Would rather rust up my cheap bike than my good one.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:07 - 18 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually very valid, I did ride through the last winter and to be honest didn't see all the fuss some people make about winter riding. Would rather rust up my cheap bike than my good one.

It tends to come after riding many winters (Beast from the East? F you weather me got GIIIIIIIIIXXXXERRRRRRRRRRRRR!), finally relenting and buying a car for work reasons and as the bikes become toys rain becomes Kryptonite. Before you know it you are staring at a garage full of bikes that do less miles combined in a year than you used to do on one in a month. I've just realised I've become boring

Arry is right, keep as winter hack/muck about bike. I was talking with my bikes as toys head on.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:11 - 18 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
It tends to come after riding many winters (Beast from the East? F you weather me got GIIIIIIIIIXXXXERRRRRRRRRRRRR!), finally relenting and buying a car for work reasons and as the bikes become toys rain becomes Kryptonite

Worst winter I ever drove in was in 2011, it's the only time I've ever had to ditch my car and trundle through the snow home. Except that one winter, I've never had a problem fortunately. Central belt in Scotland we fortunately get mild winters.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:48 - 01 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done another few hundred miles on the bike over the bank holiday week end and I seriously need to try and get something for the seat as it’s currently leaving my arse in tatters.

Generally the bike is running great except these small annoyances:

1. The clutch lever has play in it and squeaks, I tried tightening things up as much as I can but it still squeaks,

2. My tail bone constantly gets smashed against the rigid plastic between the driver seat and pillion seat. I’m fat as fuck so a normal sized rider probably won’t have this problem,

3. The plastic protector on the instrument display is perfectly angled to shoot beams of sunny death directly into my eyes. I’m tall as fuck so a normal height rider probably won’t have this problem,

4. The fuel capacity gauge sucks. You fill it up and the first 100 miles only takes it down one bar (of eight) then the next 100 miles takes it down to 50%. I really wish the gauge was more accurate. Then again I keep driving until the last bar starts flashing and I’ve been getting great range.

EDIT:

Forgot to say I saw a Yamaha Niken in the wild today and it’s ugly as sin. Anyone know what the point of that bike is? Is it touring orientated because I bet there’s no fun on the twisties riding that monstrosity.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:46 - 02 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the bike is telling you you need to get your full licence so you can ride a real bike like... errmm.... a Harley Wink

I don't think anyone's quite figured out the Niken. Best guess is that it's a glorified tech demo and they've got big plans for that front end in something totally unrelated.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:15 - 02 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I think the bike is telling you you need to get your full licence so you can ride a real bike like... errmm.... a Harley Wink

I don't think anyone's quite figured out the Niken. Best guess is that it's a glorified tech demo and they've got big plans for that front end in something totally unrelated.

I unironically wanted a Harley Iron 883 as my first bike but then I came into the world of BCF and realised a Harley isn’t your first bike: it’s your last bike. As open minded as I am, I’m not ready to go into the arseless chaps brigade yet.

I think my ideal real bike would be if you put Katana performance into the Tracer and then I somehow learn not to yeet myself down an embankment or loop the bike at a set of lights.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:11 - 02 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my ideal real bike would be if you put Katana performance into the Tracer and then I somehow learn not to yeet myself down an embankment or loop the bike at a set of lights.

Maybe a Honda NC750X?

https://ridermagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/2019-Honda-NC750X-Long-Term-Report.jpg

I jumped on one when I was looking for a replacement for the Rebel. I though it felt a bit big and unwieldy but it might errmm... suit a larger framed gentleman Wink

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:54 - 02 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
NC750X

What is it like against the Yamaha Tracer 9 GT because I kinda like the look of that:

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/gb/en/products/motorcycles/sport-touring/tracer-9-gt/

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:18 - 02 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick

The NC is bike AIDS. Sensible, low state of tune, practical. Anyone buying one should be redirected to a Honda Jazz which in turn should redirect to Dignitas.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:57 - 02 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick

The NC is bike AIDS. Sensible, low state of tune, practical. Anyone buying one should be redirected to a Honda Jazz which in turn should redirect to Dignitas.

Well yes, but sensible first bike was the spec Smile

AFAIK the Tracer 9 is based off the MT-09 so unless I hear otherwise I'd assume it's just as rabid Very Happy

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:34 - 03 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:

Couldn't agree more. Had one as a loaner during a service once.

A disgustingly boring bike, would probably put most people off biking.

Honestly, so, so, so bad. Sick

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:36 - 03 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
AFAIK the Tracer 9 is based off the MT-09 so unless I hear otherwise I'd assume it's just as rabid Very Happy

Rabid in a good or a bad way? Laughing I watched MCN review it and the guy said it's uncomfortable on long rides and that cunt was built like a whippet so I guess I would be fucked on it

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:16 - 03 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Rabid in a good or a bad way? Laughing I watched MCN review it and the guy said it's uncomfortable on long rides and that cunt was built like a whippet so I guess I would be fucked on it

Yammie Noob oft says "seriously consider an MT07/XSR700 over an MT09/XSR900" the message being the latter is more bike than ppl really need (aaaaaaiiiiiii! burn the heretic!!!)

TBF a litre inline-4 would be a more sedate ride for the discerning gentleman Wink

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 04 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
TBF a litre inline-4 would be a more sedate ride for the discerning gentleman Wink

I heard crossplane engines are really smooth...

https://i0.wp.com/www.kardesignkoncepts.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/1-MT10-v2_1080x1350-2.jpg?resize=680%2C400&ssl=1

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:43 - 12 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, a fat angry Scotsman like you deserves to ride a fat angry bike. May I suggest Harley Davidson. The FLH 1200 I had back in the 1980's pulled like a train (and pretty much stopped like one, too, but that's beside the point). I can picture you on a fat bob or a road king. Check it out, you might like it. Don't think about the sportster model, though. Its 1 3/4 inch rear suspension travel is about as close to a bona fide hard tail as you will find these days. It will cripple you.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:12 - 13 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
Dude, a fat angry Scotsman like you deserves to ride a fat angry bike. May I suggest Harley Davidson. The FLH 1200 I had back in the 1980's pulled like a train (and pretty much stopped like one, too, but that's beside the point). I can picture you on a fat bob or a road king. Check it out, you might like it. Don't think about the sportster model, though. Its 1 3/4 inch rear suspension travel is about as close to a bona fide hard tail as you will find these days. It will cripple you.

In my future Garage o' Bikes there's definitely a place for a big cruiser as well as a sports tourer and a race bike I'll never use Laughing

When the sportster got discontinued in Europe I thought about the Indian Scout but because I don't have garage space right now my first bike needs to be practical since it's going to be mostly used for commuting.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:29 - 13 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

kindest thing that could be said about the nc750x (manual) is that it's linear and very economical - it's under-square engine means it's a low revving, torque-orientated sort of motor.

It's either refined and dignified or bland and anonymous, depending on who you talk to.

Believe it or not, it can make some degree of progress. But you have to be the kind of rider who's wedded to speed limits and isn't THAT fond of overtaking. 30 to 60 happens quite promptly, but it definitely helps if you understand where, how and when it makes power. Cos there's barely any of it, and what there is doesn't come from revs.

Personally I think it's far too heavy for the kind of power it makes - then again, that weight does help to keep it stable. What's more, its weight is carried quite low down, which makes the bike feel lighter than it is, both when wheeling in and out parking bays, etc., and once under way. Mass is kept low down on the vertical plain thanks to the tank being a dummy (where you can stash your lid!), and fuel being filled towards the back of the bike and, I assume, ending up somewhere in the lower reaches of the machine.

I've got a lot to say about them not because I've ever owned one, but due to the fact that a mate swears by them. I've ridden it once, I think. And it felt bigger than it was (and not in a good way), a bit ponderous and - well - I don't remember anything else.

As well as the MT09 Tracer, have a look at a v-strom. Probably the 650. I think the v-twin config will make it a bit more tractable than the Yamaha's potentially rampant triple. Then again, my mate went from an mt07 to an mt09 - which seems logical on paper. Except that he rarely if ever used more than about half of what the 7 had. But he was eager to ditch it because of associations with learner or first big bike, etc. In any case, he always rode the mt09 in rain mode - in the same way he rode the mt07 before it. Except the 9 is heavier and more of a faff to piss about with.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 13 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
kindest thing that could be said about the nc750x (manual) is that it's linear and very economical - it's under-square engine means it's a low revving, torque-orientated sort of motor.

It's either refined and dignified or bland and anonymous, depending on who you talk to.

Believe it or not, it can make some degree of progress. But you have to be the kind of rider who's wedded to speed limits and isn't THAT fond of overtaking. 30 to 60 happens quite promptly, but it definitely helps if you understand where, how and when it makes power. Cos there's barely any of it, and what there is doesn't come from revs.

Personally I think it's far too heavy for the kind of power it makes - then again, that weight does help to keep it stable. What's more, its weight is carried quite low down, which makes the bike feel lighter than it is, both when wheeling in and out parking bays, etc., and once under way. Mass is kept low down on the vertical plain thanks to the tank being a dummy (where you can stash your lid!), and fuel being filled towards the back of the bike and, I assume, ending up somewhere in the lower reaches of the machine.

I've got a lot to say about them not because I've ever owned one, but due to the fact that a mate swears by them. I've ridden it once, I think. And it felt bigger than it was (and not in a good way), a bit ponderous and - well - I don't remember anything else.

As well as the MT09 Tracer, have a look at a v-strom. Probably the 650. I think the v-twin config will make it a bit more tractable than the Yamaha's potentially rampant triple. Then again, my mate went from an mt07 to an mt09 - which seems logical on paper. Except that he rarely if ever used more than about half of what the 7 had. But he was eager to ditch it because of associations with learner or first big bike, etc. In any case, he always rode the mt09 in rain mode - in the same way he rode the mt07 before it. Except the 9 is heavier and more of a faff to piss about with.

I’m wondering what everyone’s opinion on the Kawasaki ER-6F is? I like the look of them and they are cheap second hand so might ride one for a year while I’m getting used to riding a real bike.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:14 - 13 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowt much wrong with them at all - i did ride one once and was surprised by how strong the front brake was (and there nothing wrong with the brakes on my own bike). I think it's probably a better proposition than an SV - the callipers on those are bloody rubbish. You'll have to work it a little bit, being a twin - but otoh it's less likely to get away from ya.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:29 - 13 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m wondering what everyone’s opinion on the Kawasaki ER-6F is? I like the look of them and they are cheap second hand so might ride one for a year while I’m getting used to riding a real bike.

It's what I recommended to you right from the start Laughing

That and the CB650 Honda. Both would suit you down to the ground for what you're currently doing on the bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 289 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5