BCF: Bike Chat Forums

MOD 1: Glasgow Shieldhall Centre

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

spongefinger
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:17 - 14 Apr 2021    Post subject: Good luck. Reply with quote

I passed mine on Tuesday. I failed my first one on the u turn. I practiced on a pushbike over lockdown and as silly as it sounds it made me understand and get over my mental block that the bike won't fall over if it's going fast enough. I hired a 125 for a couple of hours from my school last week when it was possible again and went to a empty carpark and practiced u turns and figure 8 for two hours solid. I was knackered but when I went back to lessons on the 650 u-turns seemed the most natural thing my instructor was amazed at the difference since last time he saw me. The high speed stuff is ok I actually did emergency stop at 61kph and tester told me to dial it back for avoidance to make it easier and I actually got a minor for going through at 49 kph but I can live with that. The thing that amazed me the most was how quick it went, it felt like one minute I was sitting waiting for the gates to be opened to go in going through everything in my head next minute he was telling me to go back to gates and get ready go leave paddock ! I can't even recall doing the u turn or avoidance it's just a blur

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:23 - 15 Apr 2021    Post subject: Re: Good luck. Reply with quote

spongefinger wrote:
    I passed mine on Tuesday. I failed my first one on the u turn. I practiced on a pushbike over lockdown and as silly as it sounds it made me understand and get over my mental block that the bike won't fall over if it's going fast enough. I hired a 125 for a couple of hours from my school last week when it was possible again and went to a empty carpark and practiced u turns and figure 8 for two hours solid. I was knackered but when I went back to lessons on the 650 u-turns seemed the most natural thing my instructor was amazed at the difference since last time he saw me. The high speed stuff is ok I actually did emergency stop at 61kph and tester told me to dial it back for avoidance to make it easier and I actually got a minor for going through at 49 kph but I can live with that. The thing that amazed me the most was how quick it went, it felt like one minute I was sitting waiting for the gates to be opened to go in going through everything in my head next minute he was telling me to go back to gates and get ready go leave paddock ! I can't even recall doing the u turn or avoidance it's just a blur

Congratulations mate, I am happy to hear you passed! I am practising U-turns in the local Tesco car park while I wait on mine too.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 15 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulation to spongefinger and good luck to Fat Angry Scotsman Thumbs Up

Raza
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:36 - 15 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest getting there early and familiarize yourself with the layout of the cones as it helps with the speed exercises.

If you suffer from nerves then a small piece of chocolate and/or a banana helps to settle the butterflies.

The SV650 is a powerful bike but don't wait till you leave the exit of the curve to get the bike up to speed. When you reach the mid point of the curve start steadily accelerating so you don't leave it to the last few seconds, panic and over compensate. This enables you to have your concentration on the examiner (emergency stop) and where you are going (avoidance).

If the balance of the motorbike is an issue for you, then don't fill up on fuel just before the test.

Good luck.

spongefinger
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:11 - 15 Apr 2021    Post subject: Re: Good luck. Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
spongefinger wrote:

Congratulations mate, I am happy to hear you passed! I am practising U-turns in the local Tesco car park while I wait on mine too.

Cheers, If you are able to practice already you will ace it on test.

spongefinger
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:16 - 15 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raza wrote:
I suggest getting there early and familiarize yourself with the layout of the cones as it helps with the speed exercises.

If you suffer from nerves then a small piece of chocolate and/or a banana helps to settle the butterflies.

The SV650 is a powerful bike but don't wait till you leave the exit of the curve to get the bike up to speed. When you reach the mid point of the curve start steadily accelerating so you don't leave it to the last few seconds, panic and over compensate. This enables you to have your concentration on the examiner (emergency stop) and where you are going (avoidance).

If the balance of the motorbike is an issue for you, then don't fill up on fuel just before the test.

Good luck.

Yes agree with this. Also the first standard stop they tell you to do between 20-30 use this as a test run for next 2 runs don't go 20 mph my instructor said try to get to at least 30 so you know what it feels like in the test arena.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:09 - 06 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP Crying or Very sad

Failed on the figure of eight exercise as I took too heavy a turn-in and put the foot down. Fucking gutted as I did really well on everything else including the U-turn (which I was dreading before doing the test).

Looking back on it, I think it was because after the slalom I came in tight to the blue cone and I am kicking myself because Fraser the instructor literally told me before I went in that I should go wide and give myself room after the slalom. Anyway, came in tight and leaned in - put the foot down to stabilise and that was it: goodnight Vienna.

I continued with the rest of the course anyway, the examiner told me at the then I failed because of the foot down but did well on all the other exercises.

I go again on Monday 14th June.

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:20 - 06 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

similar to me, recently failed mine on the figure of 8, i honestly cant recall what i did wrong exactly, i felt fine in the morning, got there, felt fine, rode to the test site, waited around, still felt ok, started the slalom, still not nervous, then bang as soon as i started the figure of 8 i had kind a panic attack lol, a big rush of nerves from nowhere, no idea why as id practiced it all 2 days before and did every test fine 5-10 times each and i wasnt feeling nervous, never felt anything like it before in my life, i could feel my own heart beating hard in my chest, totally freaked me out

i think, i just took the wrong line and then couldnt correct it, but im not sure tbh my mind is still a bit blank

carried on the test and passed everything else ok

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 06 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRUN wrote:
similar to me, recently failed mine on the figure of 8, i honestly cant recall what i did wrong exactly, i felt fine in the morning, got there, felt fine, rode to the test site, waited around, still felt ok, started the slalom, still not nervous, then bang as soon as i started the figure of 8 i had kind a panic attack lol, a big rush of nerves from nowhere, no idea why as id practiced it all 2 days before and did every test fine 5-10 times each and i wasnt feeling nervous, never felt anything like it before in my life, i could feel my own heart beating hard in my chest, totally freaked me out

i think, i just took the wrong line and then couldnt correct it, but im not sure tbh my mind is still a bit blank

carried on the test and passed everything else ok

You passed it since or waiting your retest mate?

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:56 - 06 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

waiting for my next one at the moment

couldnt believe i cocked up my first one, 2 days before, i was on the actual site, doing it all multiple times with my instructor for about 90 mins, did it all no problem multiple times each part

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 08:42 - 10 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passed !

Jesus that was one of, if not the, most stressful things ive ever done in my life

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:16 - 10 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRUN wrote:
Passed !

Jesus that was one of, if not the, most stressful things ive ever done in my life

Congratulations mate! Well done, I really hope I pass mine on the second go. Thinking about getting a proper bike is driving me mad.

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:23 - 10 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hope so too mate

you can be as prepared as you like for this test, be the best rider ever, but a lot of it depends on nerves on the day and just how it goes

i was far more nervous today than last time, when i started the slalom i had a big wave of nerves come over me, and my slalom started poorly so i thought i was going to fail right there, but managed it, onto the figure of 8 which i was better prepared for mentally/technique/concentration this time, once i got through that, i thought id then mess up on the u-turn, the high speed stuff didnt bother me

went through the trap at 64kp/h for the emergency stop lol

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 10 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRUN wrote:
i hope so too mate

you can be as prepared as you like for this test, be the best rider ever, but a lot of it depends on nerves on the day and just how it goes

i was far more nervous today than last time, when i started the slalom i had a big wave of nerves come over me, and my slalom started poorly so i thought i was going to fail right there, but managed it, onto the figure of 8 which i was better prepared for mentally/technique/concentration this time, once i got through that, i thought id then mess up on the u-turn, the high speed stuff didnt bother me

went through the trap at 64kp/h for the emergency stop lol

Nice mate, when I went through it I got 54 km/h every time. The one thing I liked about the test centre itself was how grippy the surface was. When I done my MOD 1 last week it was absolutely pissing down but the surface felt fantastic.

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:15 - 10 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea a few hours after mine, the heavens opened ! i was so lucky with the weather, had a very nice very dry surface

when i had the practice before the last one, and my failed one, i was about 50 on all of em, not sure why i went so fast today lol

Emergency stop
First attempt: 63 km/h

Avoidance Exercise / Controlled Stop
First attempt: 54 km/h

spongefinger
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 15:55 - 11 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP Crying or Very sad

Failed on the figure of eight exercise as I took too heavy a turn-in and put the foot down. Fucking gutted as I did really well on everything else including the U-turn (which I was dreading before doing the test).

Looking back on it, I think it was because after the slalom I came in tight to the blue cone and I am kicking myself because Fraser the instructor literally told me before I went in that I should go wide and give myself room after the slalom. Anyway, came in tight and leaned in - put the foot down to stabilise and that was it: goodnight Vienna.

I continued with the rest of the course anyway, the examiner told me at the then I failed because of the foot down but did well on all the other exercises.

I go again on Monday 14th June.

Sorry to hear that Crying or Very sad My instructor was the same he said give yourself plenty of room on the 8 as I had been goi gbin pretty tight in practice...i took his advice on test day and got a minor for my 8 being a bit "baggy" Laughing Rather a baggy minor than a foot down. Third time's a charm. Good luck !

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:21 - 11 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think with the figure of 8, you have the problem of just carrying on your slalom, personally i think it should be moved as a different thing rather than the end of the slalom, if you slalom it you leave yourself too tight at the top to then come back around through the middle, i had to consciously go wide at the end blue this 2nd attempt, so i could then do it as a figure of 8, i think that might be where i went wrong on my first one

Campbell SOUP
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:34 - 11 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

One tip that helped me was dragging the rear brake while performing slow speed manoeuvres, which I still do today. Makes the bike much less likely to run away from you and just generally feels more stable.

You can even give it a try on a push bike

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:55 - 11 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Campbell SOUP wrote:
One tip that helped me was dragging the rear brake while performing slow speed manoeuvres, which I still do today. Makes the bike much less likely to run away from you and just generally feels more stable.

Yep it's a bona fide means of slow and fine machine control - but the thing is, you're probably also going to be winding some revs on, slipping the clutch AND applying some rear brake. It all makes perfect sense - once you can do it. But otherwise, it can feel like a bit of a handful.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

spongefinger
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:48 - 11 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Campbell SOUP wrote:

Yep it's a bona fide means of slow and fine machine control - but the thing is, you're probably also going to be winding some revs on, slipping the clutch AND applying some rear brake. It all makes perfect sense - once you can do it. But otherwise, it can feel like a bit of a handful.

This is true I found just using the throttle and clutch for slalom and 8 was enough for me I think adding back brake would have made it more complicated. I used back brake for walking pace ride but you are only going in a straight line do you dont have to think about steering.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 14 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOD 1 passed today with no minors.

Booking MOD 2 for Hamilton.

Laughing

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:09 - 14 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Good effort. well done... Thumbs Up

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:14 - 15 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done !!

i cant even get a pre mod2 lesson for another 3-4 weeks, not sure what the test backlog is like

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:56 - 15 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Congratulations Thumbs Up

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:07 - 15 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRUN wrote:
well done !!

i cant even get a pre mod2 lesson for another 3-4 weeks, not sure what the test backlog is like

My MOD 2 test is on the 29th July 2021 and I have no practice days before it because they're fully booked out. Only practice I will get is a couple hours before the exam itself.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 286 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2