Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Tesla version of a "Bike" - Would you?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

Would you buy an electric motor bike ?
Hell No, I love the smell and noise of a combustion engine.
58%
 58%  [ 21 ]
Why not, its saving kittens and puppies.
36%
 36%  [ 13 ]
Id rather buy an electric bicycle
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 36

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:42 - 16 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

We wont have a choice at some point.
Petrol will be expensive as all hell once electric takes over.
Petrol station forecourts earn next to nothing on a litre of fuel, they earn their money on what you buy in the shop. Once that trade dwindles, the Petrol price will be hiked to compensate and the tax on fuels wont drop for sure as the govt want you to swap to electric. Forecourts will close at alarming rates and people will end up buying from Amazon for £5 a Litre, as they will be the cheapest and most convenient.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:19 - 16 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2zlYpy6QCM

Think he hit the nail on the head pretty well with this one. The only real appeal of having the a EV is having a cheap commuter you dont need to recharge multiple times in one trip. The £20k monsters just dont offer enough.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 16 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tdibs wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2zlYpy6QCM

Think he hit the nail on the head pretty well with this one. The only real appeal of having the a EV is having a cheap commuter you dont need to recharge multiple times in one trip. The £20k monsters just dont offer enough.

I'm not a fan of that channel but he makes quite a few good points in that video.

In this case, the prospect of electric bikes has well and truly put the cart before the horse. The technology isn't there (energy density) and the infrastructure isn't there, but that doesn't stop the policy and legislation from being there. There's also a certain way of thinking that seems far from uncommon in this country, whereby the neighbour next door being humbled or put in his place is so much more important than any other consideration affecting us all. Just about everything, including nascent technologies that simply aren't anyway near ready (I can think of more than one, and nothing to do with vehicles either) or even the dreaded coronavirus, is socially weaponised right now.

Blah blah
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:55 - 16 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

An electric commuter where I can remove the battery and charge it using 'works' electricity would be great.

For my weekend toy, then ICE all the way (with loud pipes) until the point where I can't buy petrol anymore
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:21 - 24 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

About now should be a really good time to develop a gadget that imitates the sound of a combustion engine, with a mode switch on the handlebars that lets you select which particular bike sound you'd like today. Very Happy

A heavy duty waterproof speaker buried in the internals shoud do it.

I only went out and got a motor bike because my newly acquired electric bike wasn't fast enough, and it didn't feel safe over 30mph, so when rolling down a hill one day at over 40, made me decide I'd better get a bike built for the purpose of going faster.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:48 - 24 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zero emissions…

https://www.facebook.com/interpartuk/videos/511656216308338/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:29 - 25 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blah blah wrote:
An electric commuter where I can remove the battery and charge it using 'works' electricity would be great. ...

That reminds me, I really should ride my leccy bike to work through the summer months, I do just that, (I remove the battery and charge it in the office) .... will I... mmm Neutral

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:44 - 27 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd happily have a leccy bike. Given I love my V4 on a decent can, the sound, or lack of, will take some getting used to. The theory behind one for local commuting and hooning is fine.

Problem for me, and no doubt a lot of others, is how to charge it. Nothing at work, Can't at home (First floor flat). Once there is some sort of public infrastructure in place, sure, but outside of London, we're at least a decade away from that. Local Council can't even afford to fill potholes away from touristy bits.

Hopefully the cost will be somewhat normal by then.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 12:56 - 27 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:

Petrol will be expensive as all hell once electric takes over.

Only if a very agile taxation system coming into play to keep prices high. Otherwise, we will have significant oversupply.

The whole oil economy is based upon pulling it out of the ground and turning it into various products. That model is tuned for efficiency. Oil platforms will keep extracting as much as they can, refineries will keep churning out oil products.

Over time this will change, but it's infrastructure so change happens slowly. Fewer new wells will be drilled, old refineries will not be replaced, or replaced with something that makes different products.

Seeing as the infrastructure is based on 30-60 year working life, and electric vehicle takeup is happening much faster, we could well see a petrol oversupply in 2030-2040. With any luck this will be blended as something with a long shelf life for us to use in rarely-used vehicles - classics, lawnmowers, generators. Things that will sit for 6 months unused.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 302 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3