Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

GB News launch

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:27 - 16 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only a few weeks ago Peter Hitchens was being pursued by a baying woke mob about something or other (being there I suppose).
Something to do with evil empire statues nobody even noticed until a few months ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:31 - 16 Jun 2021    Post subject: Re: GB News launch Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Anybody else looking at this? I think it'll be interesting to see how it unfolds over the next few weeks and months.

Oddly enough I watched it this morning and was going to start a thread on it. The breakfast show was pretty crap but no worse than the Beeb or Sky. Amdrew Neil will be the big draw I suppose.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 09:49 - 16 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.indy100.com/news/gb-news-channel-mike-hunt-mike-oxlong-b1866803

One for all the simpsons fans out there

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:15 - 16 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been watching on and off today and its very amateurish. A lot of opinion but certainly not news. Its more of a rather thin political magazine than a news service. A lot of mouthy affluent media types on a nice little earner. Inb4 "but al beeb etc", yes I know the other news channels are populated by overpaid grifters Shocked

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:08 - 16 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Been watching on and off today and its very amateurish. A lot of opinion but certainly not news. Its more of a rather thin political magazine than a news service. A lot of mouthy affluent media types on a nice little earner. Inb4 "but al beeb etc", yes I know the other news channels are populated by overpaid grifters Shocked

Yes, rather sad when the only answer to balancing out the surfeit of Left-Wing bias is just add Right-Wing bias. Two wrongs don't make a right and all that.

How about this radical idea: employ journalists instead of activists Rolling Eyes

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:06 - 16 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they need to interview some politicians and ask the real questions we all want answered, not the usual “gotchas” which don’t even require a reply. I suppose politicians are avoiding the channel at the moment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:57 - 16 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

How about this radical idea: employ journalists instead of activists Rolling Eyes

I don't think such a thing exists anymore does it?

I still think it's a massive oversight not to have regular headlines programs that just report what is happening both in the UK and abroad, without any of their own take on the topics. That can come from interviews with those involved in the events, preferably from all sides. I don't want to be told what to think, I want the facts so I can make my own judgement. Plenty of political bias channels on YouTube if that's what I want, and that also makes me think they're not taking into account that such channels are very much a powerful source of competition for all legacy-type tv channels. It's not necessarily what I want from a tv channel. Maybe have weekly programs that cover such things, but not all day every day thanks.

So it is being said by some that there is a concerted campaign from certain quarters to get them taken out. If they don't improve, I don't think it'll need it.

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
I think they need to interview some politicians and ask the real questions we all want answered, not the usual “gotchas” which don’t even require a reply. I suppose politicians are avoiding the channel at the moment.

Rishi Sunak on Andrew Neil's segment, starting in a minute.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:15 - 16 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

I don't think such a thing exists anymore does it?

Jordan Peterson made an interesting comment that I think is relevant here, in an interview with Michael Malice recently.
He described how in his visit to Channel 4, for that infamous interview with Cathy Newman, she was polite and 'normal' with him before the interview itself, but as soon as the interview actually started, she became the mouthpiece of C4's agenda-based approach and quite aggressive. He put it down to the way legacy media organisations work, much in the way many politicians go into their trade with good intentions but are hijacked by an inflexible system.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:15 - 16 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in the pecking order actual reportage is the bottom rung well below journalistic opinion merchants and even stuffed shirts and blouses who sit on breakfast telly sofas.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:23 - 16 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those feckin meerkat muppets have infiltrated the advertising already! That's it, I'm out! Mad

Laughing

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:33 - 16 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if Neil will it interview Cummings at some point? Im flicking between Andrew Neil and C4+1 i just cant drag myself away from the C4 news, to me uts like an eighties American soap i always imagine all sorts of Byzantine backstabbing shinanigins going on behind the scenes.

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:14 - 16 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was reported grolsch was boycotting but it's a brand with asahi being the parent company.
That's like saying your right hand is going to boycott grolsch but your left hand isn't.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:46 - 16 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if Roland Rat will get a spot?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:02 - 17 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Andrew Neil evening slot is becoming a regular thing for me. And why not - when we used to have real news programs, I'd watch one or two regularly. Funnily enough, Neil's late night slot on the BBC before their snowflakes melted was the last thing I used to watch.

GB News beats all the others on that alone thus far. I don't particularly want to be watching tv news all day anyway, and everything else has been shite for years.

I think Dan Wooton's slot is showing some signs of improvement from the first night, when he seemed a bit too keen to air his own opinions in a rather grating manner.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:27 - 17 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

The problem when interviewing politicians is that the politician is allowed to dictate the course of the interview.
They don't like it up 'em.

And maybe to many people in that 'job' are far removed from standing at a bus stop on a wet Wednesday morning waiting on the bus to work.

They've spent their career dodging work.

All in all a despicable species.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:31 - 17 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
politicians...

And maybe to many people in that 'job' are far removed from standing at a bus stop on a wet Wednesday morning waiting on the bus to work.

Bus wankers!

[/BCF opinion] Laughing

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:00 - 17 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Wooten seems to be on permanently, im guessing cheap.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:19 - 18 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
MCN wrote:
politicians...

Bus wankers!

[/BCF opinion] Laughing

Taxi Bastirts.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:56 - 21 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

They've spent their career dodging work.

All in all a despicable species.

Well yeah, and then people vote for them and they end up Prime Minister. As ever, we get what we deserve.

chickenstrip wrote:
I don't want to be told what to think, I want the facts so I can make my own judgement.

chickenstrip wrote:
The Andrew Neil evening slot is becoming a regular thing for me. And why not -

Because it's a channel designed purely to manufacture outrage in right-wing snowflakes, without even the pretence of original reporting?

It continues to amaze me how people allow themselves to get sidelined by the whole wokeness/culture wars bullshit (whether for or against). It's encouraged at every step by the actual elites (not the shadowy unspecified ones, the actual ones in government, running the corporations, and starting their own news channels). And they encourage it for a very simple reason. The long term effect of the woke debate on them, is exactly nil.

The more people are engaging in and expending their energy on culture wars, the less they're paying attention and demanding change to anything that actually matters.

The people pulling down statues, AND the people getting pissed off about it, have both been equally distracted by pointless bullshit. And as far as the actual elites like Andrew Neil are concerned, that's all to the good.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:07 - 21 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an interesting perspective Zen Dog, and there may be some truth in it. I'd like to see you prove it? Otherwise, it's just another opinion on the pile.
Trouble is, when you look at the US where it all seems to originate from, and you see all the violence and crime that is left to go unchecked in the name of all these SJW causes, you wonder if that can be the case.

Quite possible that there's a bit of truth in both perspectives, maybe even one using the other to promote and advance its agenda, but either way, it is all hugely damaging to society.

We are living in interesting times, and it is very difficult to unravel what is actually going on. I see both the woke, and corrupt authorities stirring the pot, along with the media and much else besides. I think most of us would just like to see it all go away. I don't think it will though.

But when I listen to what those on GB News want (and I mean actually listen to it, without preconceptions)*, I'd prefer to go with that than the woke/SJW agenda. Politics is all agendas after all. Pick your side. Or sit it out and don't comment. But then you have to accept what happens, whichever way the wind blows.

*I should say I find opinions on GB News that I agree with, and some I disagree with. That to me suggests they're getting it right. If I watch BBC or Ch4, they both just piss me off. The bias there is just too extreme to hide or deny. I always feel they're just preaching to me as if they think they're the holders of "the truth", like they have some God-given right to tell me what I must think. I don't feel that with the new channel. But maybe that too is just because of my own bias. I do agree that the new channel is a bit too opinion-heavy to truly be called a news channel though, and perhaps that's not such a great idea.

It all seems to be clear-cut in black and white to you Zen Dog? I see much more complexity than you suggest.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:23 - 21 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bullshite has always been there but certain factions have maybe found a captive audience (covid sheltering at home for months) eager to find anyone to blame for all the problems in the world that have always been here.

The Internet was devised to help clear the mystery of life we know But now it has been turned on its self.

Lots of people are fucking dumb and many are easily swayed.

And I put the blame squarely on the Russians.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:55 - 21 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably know what you mean MCN Laughing

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:06 - 22 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched it.

All I can say is that Rosie Wright must be fucking gutted that she gave up her prime spot on Euro News for this shite. She actually looked embarrassed watching the other two fuckwits discussing utter drivel.

Oh, and they had a black presenter telling us how she cuddled her golliwog and loved it so how can they be racist ! wtaf.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:15 - 22 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, everything on the BBC is as inane as the breakfast show.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:59 - 22 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

GB news is more of a symptom than a cure and i agree with the position that the irritated right is a complementary complex to the snowflake wokists. I watched this documentary on Netflix https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/81254224?preventIntent=true

The most interesting point it made was that one the worst things about social media is that its created an exaggerated culture of polarization where people are driven further into their own little idealogical corners. GB News just provides another rabbit hole to scurry down.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 301 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5