Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Thoughts on a Trip To Scotland in the Mid 2021 ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:21 - 16 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barnoe wrote:
I am going myself on 18th June for 8 days.
Ive done Scotland many times and have to say its a fantastic place to visit, specially on the bike.
My advice would be to plan several places you would like to see each day to break the journey up.
Seriously its not something to be rushed.
I see people doing the NC500 in 3-4 days and that included getting up there and back! WTF
All that happens when you do that is you need another visit to do it properly lol

Im setting off from Rochdale and going the non motorway route.
Heading through the Forest of Bowland,
through the passes at the lake district,
through Galloway forest park and enjoying the raiders forest drive if its open.
through Ayr to Glasgow
then Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park up to Fort William and Ben Nevis,
straight up past Loch Ness to Inverness and the official start of the NC500 I will work my way east to west back to Inverness.

Then set off back through the Cairngorms down to Falkirk to see the Falkirk Wheel
Down to Northumberland National Park and Kielder Forest
Through the Yorkshire Dales home

there is more to it than that, as there are many stops and things i want to see, but you get the idea.
I will be mixing Campsites and wild camping
I planned this for last year and we all know how that turned out... i refuse to replan it this time lol

oh also check out this guys videos, a series of about 6 i think
Worth watching them all back to back when the mrs goes to bed lol
He does something he called the NC767 but it gives you a good idea of what to expect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0yrsuvKMYw&t=14s

If you're in Kielder - do the Forest Drive and if you're in Northumberland, see if you can get a look into Cragside House. I'd avoid Rothbury village though, it might be pretty but it's usually heaving if the weather is anything other than foul.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:32 - 17 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mawsley wrote:

The only downside was the proliferation of bikers who don’t appear to be able to corner and slow everyone down.

Those are Harley Davidson folk.

They don't do corners or 'make good progress'.

In addition, their engines do not have idle stops and so require continuous Blipping in carparks. More people in the carpark=More Blipping of the throttle.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 285 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3