Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Novice rider - eurotrip

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

hrbarakov
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:42 - 08 Jun 2021    Post subject: Novice rider - eurotrip Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I am planning my first big trip and I would like any advice I can get for it. I am riding a Yamaha Virago 250, I understand it is small motorcycle but I am not planing on taking it on the highways, only occasionally for an hour or two. Below is my draft on what I am planing to improve on the motorcycle and new gear that I am planing to buy. Please, feel free to give me indications for the most appropriate gear - I am going to be riding during summer (end of July - beginning of August ).

Initial trip plan -
https://www.google.bg/maps/dir/Ardennes,+Франция/Dijon,+Франция/Grenoble,+Франция/Nice,+Франция/Genova,+Генуа,+Италия/Florence,+Флоренция,+Италия/Rome,+Рим,+Италия/Naples,+Неапол,+Италия/Bari,+Бари,+Италия/Igoumenitsa,+Гърция/@44.2352051,3.3405145,5z/am=t/data=!3m1!4b1!4m64!4m63!1m5!1m1!1s0x47ea1160a97f248d:0x30a5fb99a3725f0!2m2!1d4.6285053!2d49.7624642!1m5!1m1!1s0x47f29d8ceffd9675:0x409ce34b31458d0!2m2!1d5.04148!2d47.322047!1m5!1m1!1s0x478af48bd689be6f:0x618c10cd6e995398!2m2!1d5.724524!2d45.188529!1m5!1m1!1s0x12cdd0106a852d31:0x40819a5fd979a70!2m2!1d7.2619532!2d43.7101728!1m5!1m1!1s0x12d34152dcd49aad:0x236a84f11881620a!2m2!1d8.946256!2d44.4056499!1m5!1m1!1s0x132a56a680d2d6ad:0x93d57917efc72a03!2m2!1d11.2558136!2d43.7695604!1m5!1m1!1s0x132f6196f9928ebb:0xb90f770693656e38!2m2!1d12.4963655!2d41.9027835!1m5!1m1!1s0x133b0866db7afaeb:0xd23a43cc658cb87e!2m2!1d14.2681244!2d40.8517746!1m5!1m1!1s0x1347e8f8f3078d6f:0x87254066a3908e1!2m2!1d16.8718715!2d41.1171432!1m5!1m1!1s0x135b7e5b559cf363:0x621a7ebb7b4f5f13!2m2!1d20.2655339!2d39.5061499!2m1!1b1!3e0

Stop every 250 km for a break - stretch and take gas

Motorcycle Improvements
Front sprocket from 16 to 17 teeth and back sprocket from 45 to 42
Mirror extenders
Saddle bags- extended brackets joined at the top that go to the bottom - move the blinkers -
Sissy bar bag -
Windshield
Tachometer -
Phone/GPS stand + GPS + Thick cover for my phone - USB charger - seperate battery
Hands free
Highway bar ?
Muffler modification ?
Improve headlights ?
GoPro camera
Chain Lubricant

Gear/Equipment
3 liters of gas to carry - I need to stop every 250 km
Backpack - to carry documents, money and small stuff
Rainsuit
Summer Jacket
Summer Pants
Summer Boots/Shoes

Thank you in advance for all advice !

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 08 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you camping? (no pun intended)

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:00 - 08 Jun 2021    Post subject: Re: Novice rider - eurotrip Reply with quote

hrbarakov wrote:

I'm wondering if 1 up at the front and 3 down at the back might be too much? Especially with all the extra weight you're carrying.

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:55 - 08 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you're starting in the Ardennes, are you from the UK? If not, some of this may not directly apply.

Other stuff you should carry:

Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) - replaces the old EHIC and gives you some medical cover in the EU.

A Starling top-up pre-pay cash card. Offers the best exchange rates and can be used contactless and in any ATM for cheap cash. Just note you have to manually enable the magstrip in the App for some machines, including the many toll booths!

Puncture Repair Kit - Will let you plug most punctures and get you riding again in 15-20 mins to a garage for a proper permanent repair. If you've not used one before, watch some YT vids on how to use them before you go.

Overall, don't overpack and over burden your bikes. Travel light, most stuff you may find you need you can buy on route. Otherwise, don't forget your credit card, some EU breakdown cover, cable ties & duct tape are often handy when thing break and keep up to date with current covid restrictions and rules along your route.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:21 - 09 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Puncture Repair Kit - Will let you plug most punctures and get you riding again in 15-20 mins to a garage for a proper permanent repair. If you've not used one before, watch some YT vids on how to use them before you go.

Not a lot of use on a xv535 it has tubed tyres need tubes and skill to change or very good recovery cover!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hrbarakov
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:17 - 09 Jun 2021    Post subject: Re: Novice rider - eurotrip Reply with quote

Thank you all for the advice.

Evil Hans wrote:
hrbarakov wrote:

I'm wondering if 1 up at the front and 3 down at the back might be too much? Especially with all the extra weight you're carrying.

yeah, I have not decided yet. I think it will be better to leave them as they are.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
are you camping? (no pun intended)

no, mostly sleeping at hotels.

Arfa__ wrote:
I see you're starting in the Ardennes, are you from the UK? If not, some of this may not directly apply.

Other stuff you should carry:

Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) - replaces the old EHIC and gives you some medical cover in the EU.

A Starling top-up pre-pay cash card. Offers the best exchange rates and can be used contactless and in any ATM for cheap cash. Just note you have to manually enable the magstrip in the App for some machines, including the many toll booths!

Overall, don't overpack and over burden your bikes. Travel light, most stuff you may find you need you can buy on route. Otherwise, don't forget your credit card, some EU breakdown cover, cable ties & duct tape are often handy when thing break and keep up to date with current covid restrictions and rules along your route.

I am currently based in the Netherlands, but still most of the things you said apply Smile.

Anyone could suggest a nice fitting sissy bar bags I could buy ?

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:12 - 09 Jun 2021    Post subject: Re: Novice rider - eurotrip Reply with quote

hrbarakov wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am planning my first big trip and I would like any advice I can get for it. I am riding a Yamaha Virago 250, I understand it is small motorcycle. !

Yay! Small bike touring rocks Thumbs Up .

In my humble opinion, I would leave the sprockets as standard.

I always take more money than I need, because you never know what might happen and you need to pay there and then.
If you’re going to use back roads and minor roads, you may not always get a WiFi/phone signal, bare that in mind .
It happened to me a lot in Scotland.

Plastic bags to keep things dry is a must! (Dry bags).
Go to any decent camping shop and they should have some.
I can’t say you’ll need it , but I ALWAYS take some string with me, it’s helped me out a few times when straps have broken or something has torn.
I also always take a small sharp folding knife.
Keep it on the bike in the luggage and not on your person.
That way if you get stopped by the Politi (Police) they can’t say you’re holding an offensive weapon.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:25 - 09 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A hydration pack. You will not feel yourself becoming dehydrated on longer rides because the air will evaporate the sweat. Put the amount of water you think you will need to have drunk in it before you leave, make sure it's empty when you arrive.

From experience of long term touring on a 350 bullet, about 150 miles a day with a visit en-route is a reasonable target. More than this and you will be exhausted when you arrive and will not see anything worth seeing.

A sheepskin saddle cover and good quality wicking underpants are very useful for your overall comfort.

You will take far too much stuff, have an address in mind you can post half of it back to after the first couple of days once you've decided you don't need it.

With clothing you need one on, one clean and one dirty/drying.

Re: bike modifications. The bike will ride round the world in its totally standard form with just normal servicing. Any mods should be for comfort/practicality.

Headlights... Are you riding in the dark?

Muffler modification? Is there a problem with it?

Gearing... Seems a very steep change. Most bikes are pretty well geared. I'd guess you could pull one more tooth in top gear on most but I'd really only mess with the standard gearing if your normal cruising speed is at an intrusive or awkward part of the rev range.

Your engine bars will probably work as highway pegs.

Tachometer.. You probably don't need one. If you are overrevving a bike like that, you would be losing performance.

I'd go for making sure there is plenty of tread left on the tyres, there is plenty of wear in the chain+sprockets and a service before you leave. Consider taking a spare tube or pre-treating with puncture gloop.

Invest in a cable repair kit.

Take some "emergency rations" with you. Just something to eat and drink in case you land up stuck in bumfuck nowhere with a breakdown/no accommodation and have to stay there for a bit.

Leave early, get the miles in, relax in the lase afternoon/evening and take in the atmosphere/cocktails. Leave super-extra early if you are doing Alpine passes/cols so you miss all the idiots.

A Scottish company called Lomo do a variety of motorcycle luggage. Good price point. Their main business is diving equipment (wet and dry suits) so they understand the meaning of waterproof.
https://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/Motorcycle-Motorbike-Dry-bags-Accessories.html

EDIT: Europeans tend to conform to their stereotypes with the way they drive. Germans are impatient but efficient, Italians are too fast and inattentive. Belgians are fucking inconsiderate and will tailgate you. Dutch are chill as fuck, as you know. French are surprisingly good drivers but are not above driving after an extended and wine-sodden lunch, especially in rural areas. They also don't care much about small bashes in their cars.

hrbarakov
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:43 - 22 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the advice and the info. In the end, I will not do any modifications on the bike, just general check-up-oil, brakes, sparks, forks. I will add a sissy bag and a windshield Smile. Thanks again and hopefully soon I will update you on how the tour went.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:36 - 22 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, you're suggesting stopping every 250km for a break (as opposed to overnight stops); that's a significant distance! I'd aim to stop based on time rather than distance, plus it'll depend on the weather and roads you're riding. Either way, 250km is a big distance between stops; I'd stop and stretch at half of that if maybe even a third.

Up to you obviously, but touring for me is about the journey itself, not the destination; stop and enjoy the places you're passing through. Thumbs Up

P.S. lots of photos and a write up on here would be good too. Smile

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:10 - 22 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a 5200km round trip, is there enough life left in your tyres, chain and sprockets? If you've the garage space, I'd be tempted to treat it to new items and put the stuff you take off aside for later use. You don't want to be sodding about in a foreign country trying to source replacements if they're nearing their limit.

Otherwise, give the bike an oil change, pack your toothbrush, wet wipes and favourite brand of loo roll and hit the road Smile
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 03:11 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a pretty huge trip, looks awesome!

I second giving the bike a full service and tyres before you go - you want to be riding not spannering in this time.

The first part of the trip I think you can spice up a bit more, either go through swiz(not a option if you are trying to use hotels on a budget) or hit the route napoleon/N85 and is a must do biker road.

I would echo taking it easy in Italy, especially hitting Florence and Rome... Italian driving is pretty wild and aggressive, you have to catch yourself not to get caught up in it, its also holiday season, going to be very busy.

I would also consider going down the Balkan coast line rather than through Italy. This gives you the option of heading south through Germany (b500), lots of choices to pass through the amazing roads in the alps, Slovenia is very nice. Then you can head down Croatia, lots of awesome small islands off the coast to stay/swim and some interesting cities, all the way down to greece. Or do you plan to come back that way?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:30 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good up to date maps. (Mainly as back-up for satnavs phone apps.)
GPS or at least a map app for a phone.
Satnavs are still better than phone apps IMHO.
Satnavs are more vehicle suited.
Spare fuel container. A spare litre of gas is better than a belief in Jesus when in a bind.
Metal Cutlery. Porcelain Coffee Mug. Creature comforts make a hoor of a difference if it is miserable at times.
Some details of who you are and where you came from where you are heading for. (In case someone finds you and needs to identify your remains.)
Any meds, contact lenses if needed and accoutrements. Spare glasses.
Good torch flashlight and spare batteries.

Consider the weight of all this shite too.
It begins to accumulate.
Bag in Bag all your shite to keep it dry.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:30 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Googlemaps is as good as a SATNAG.

Make sure you download the offline maps for the areas you're going to - you might not get 4G/3G but you should get basic satellite connection for GPS.

Tbh i'd disable mobile data when out and about unless you need it - marginal mobile signal will kill a phone battery faster than anything else.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:05 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
A sheepskin saddle cover

These are arguably the single most effective way of doubling the comfort of any bike seat, at least after some expert suspension adjustment (which won't be relevant on your bike so ignore that point). Or if not doubling, increasing it very noticeably. They cost between 15 and 20 quid:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153498086690?var=453478119474&hash=item23bd32ed22:g:508AAOSwmphaDHOQ

If you can easily remove the pillion seat, you might find you can trap the back of the cover under it, refit it and find that three quarters of the cover is then draped over the rider's seat, and should be very secure.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:29 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:

Make sure you download the offline maps for the areas you're going to - you might not get 4G/3G but you should get basic satellite connection for GPS.

Tbh i'd disable mobile data when out and about unless you need it - marginal mobile signal will kill a phone battery faster than anything else.

Google maps is NOT as good as a satnav if you have a satnav.
Google maps is shite, stupid and quirky.
I use both fairly extensively.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:56 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Google maps is NOT as good as a satnav if you have a satnav.
Google maps is shite, stupid and quirky.
I use both fairly extensively.

I concur. Apart from anything else, if you're in an area with no reception and need to start a route there can be issues. I know there is some offline capability, but you need to manually download the data IIRC and I'm not even sure you can initiate a new navigation.

A dedicated satnav works no matter what.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:55 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will just have to respectfully disagree with both of you.

Garmin - shite
TomTom - NoNo
Navman - shite

Googlemaps - always up to date. Always up to date on traffic problems.

The only time it goofed for me was in Arizona when some unseasonal rain had washed the road away over night and we were the first ones to try and get through.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:47 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will concede that my TomTom isn't as slick as my iPhone and yes, I do have to do map updates myself. In reality though, that's not that burdensome.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:41 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open Street Map has very detailed mapping of places which generally have shitty mapping.

I have an App called OsmAnd which will run on any shitty old android device with GPS ability. You can download offline OSM maps for the areas you want to go to. First few are free, then you need to pay for them (not a huge amount). If you're doing large areas, you may need an SD card if the device is very antiquated. It will also work as a GPS.

I was using mine for cross country mountain biking in Portugal. They gave up on their version of ordanance survey in the 1970's and you simply can't buy good quality maps you could use for actual navigation other than by main roads.

Also has places of interest/accommodation overlays. It was a total godsend when I visited Metz which has to be on my top 5 most difficult towns to navigate by motor vehicle.

hrbarakov
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:46 - 24 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Just to clarify, you're suggesting stopping every 250km for a break (as opposed to overnight stops); that's a significant distance! I'd aim to stop based on time rather than distance, plus it'll depend on the weather and roads you're riding. Either way, 250km is a big distance between stops; I'd stop and stretch at half of that if maybe even a third.

Up to you obviously, but touring for me is about the journey itself, not the destination; stop and enjoy the places you're passing through. Thumbs Up

P.S. lots of photos and a write up on here would be good too. Smile

I agree with you Smile. It all depends on the weather, traffic expected and personal conditioning. But my point is that I will be limited by the amount of fuel.

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
With a 5200km round trip, is there enough life left in your tyres, chain and sprockets? If you've the garage space, I'd be tempted to treat it to new items and put the stuff you take off aside for later use. You don't want to be sodding about in a foreign country trying to source replacements if they're nearing their limit.

Otherwise, give the bike an oil change, pack your toothbrush, wet wipes and favourite brand of loo roll and hit the road Smile

yes, tyres have been changed recently. Chain and sprockets are fine also according to a mechanic I consulted. It might have been a slight confusion but it is a one way ride Smile, so half the kilometers.

Tdibs wrote:
That is a pretty huge trip, looks awesome!

I second giving the bike a full service and tyres before you go - you want to be riding not spannering in this time.

The first part of the trip I think you can spice up a bit more, either go through swiz(not a option if you are trying to use hotels on a budget) or hit the route napoleon/N85 and is a must do biker road.

I would echo taking it easy in Italy, especially hitting Florence and Rome... Italian driving is pretty wild and aggressive, you have to catch yourself not to get caught up in it, its also holiday season, going to be very busy.

I would also consider going down the Balkan coast line rather than through Italy. This gives you the option of heading south through Germany (b500), lots of choices to pass through the amazing roads in the alps, Slovenia is very nice. Then you can head down Croatia, lots of awesome small islands off the coast to stay/swim and some interesting cities, all the way down to greece. Or do you plan to come back that way?

Bike is getting checked in a week:

Lube and tighten gear shifter
Lube chain
Oil and Oil filter
Spark plugs
Brakes and brake fluid
Clean valves
Rust on the exhaust pipe coming from front part of the engine
Electronics - front and back lights, turning lights, battery and starting

It is a nice suggestion for the trip. My final destination is Sofia with one way trip. I am going to leave the bike there and return via airplane. I have a big preference for going through Grenoble, because I lived there for 5 years and wanted to revisit old fiends. I would be glad if you could suggest alternative routes from Grenoble to Sofia Smile.

MCN wrote:
Good up to date maps. (Mainly as back-up for satnavs phone apps.)
GPS or at least a map app for a phone.
Satnavs are still better than phone apps IMHO.
Satnavs are more vehicle suited.
Spare fuel container. A spare litre of gas is better than a belief in Jesus when in a bind.
Metal Cutlery. Porcelain Coffee Mug. Creature comforts make a hoor of a difference if it is miserable at times.
Some details of who you are and where you came from where you are heading for. (In case someone finds you and needs to identify your remains.)
Any meds, contact lenses if needed and accoutrements. Spare glasses.
Good torch flashlight and spare batteries.

Consider the weight of all this shite too.
It begins to accumulate.
Bag in Bag all your shite to keep it dry.

Thanks for the input. I would probably keep to google maps though. I am planing 2 litres of gas.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland Wink

UncleBFester wrote:

I will implement this advice Smile

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:
A sheepskin saddle cover

These are arguably the single most effective way of doubling the comfort of any bike seat, at least after some expert suspension adjustment (which won't be relevant on your bike so ignore that point). Or if not doubling, increasing it very noticeably. They cost between 15 and 20 quid:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153498086690?var=453478119474&hash=item23bd32ed22:g:508AAOSwmphaDHOQ

If you can easily remove the pillion seat, you might find you can trap the back of the cover under it, refit it and find that three quarters of the cover is then draped over the rider's seat, and should be very secure.

I already bought one and waiting for it.

Could anyone suggest good summer gear ? I was thinking of some protective gear

https://www.bikeroutfit.nl/en/icon-field-armor-compression-shirt.html
https://www.bikeroutfit.nl/en/icon-field-armor-compression-pants.html?id=227170958

and then textile on top.

Also, I am not sure what to do with the communication. I am not going to be alone, my cousin is coming with me, and I was wondering if Apple airpods would be sufficient for a short call on the road and listening to music ?

Thanks everyone for the participation !
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 278 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1