Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hagon vs YSS vs Hyperpro

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:47 - 08 Jun 2021    Post subject: Hagon vs YSS vs Hyperpro Reply with quote

Picked up my 2010 VFR1200F at the weekend. Really enjoying it so far but the rear shock could definitely be better. I'm not overly fast and it'll never go on a racetrack with me. I just want it sprung for my weight (120kg in gear) and have better damping over rough surfaces.

Budget for the rear shock is circa £400 max. Are there any major differences in these shocks? I have a YSS with custom spring on my CBF500 and apart from being a bit harsh it's much better than the old worn out one.

I'll obviously be replacing the fork springs as well.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:56 - 08 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there are big differences. My evaluation of their quality goes as follows (worst to best but not necessarily in price order):

Hagon and YSS Arrow Maxton and Hyperpro Arrow Nitron, Ohlins and Ktech

The thing is, Nitron are a LOT cheaper than Ohlins etc, and are made in the UK to your specification. I had the basic Nitron on my VFR800 and it was the best money I've ever spent on bike parts. It's that bloody good. I had to tweak the damping and set the preload to suit me, but it didn't take a lot of effort and it totally transformed the ride.

I'd always recommend Nitron over anything else. It might be £100 more expensive than a YSS but you'll know where that £100 went IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:41 - 08 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also Wilbers which probably slot in at the upper end of the mid-tier.

AL-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:57 - 08 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Nitron rear shock on my Fazer 1000 with remote pre load adjuster. Highly recommend

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:11 - 08 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a Hagon shock on my old Fazer 600, was reasonable enough.
Got a Nitron (basic 1-way) on my new FZ6, plus some Racetech Gold Emulators in the forks. Very good, definitely better than the Hagon - but yeah a bit more moneys.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:23 - 08 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read, YSS is basically OE spec. So if you just want to replace a worn out shock it's OK but it's not an upgrade.

I'd be looking at Nitron if I wanted a decent upgrade.

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 03:04 - 09 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently replaced some shot stock shocks on my CB750.
First tried some used but working non adjustable Hagons I got for free, too fecking hard spring.

YSS offers 3 products, the low range (£1xx) is actively discouraged by Brook's, middle with rebound adjust (£380), and high with additional compression adjust and piggyback (£610).

For my use case I went for the middle range, bike feels planted but weirdly comfy/cushy at the same time, even a new pillion of mine noticed the change from 1 week to today lol.

If I had gone for the upper range, I'd have picked the UK made Nitron's instead for £90 more even without having any previous experience. Custom made to your weight and use case, 5 years warranty (inspires confidence right), plus, made in the UK!

Bru
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:23 - 21 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. What I do not understand is that so many rear OE shocks are 'non-rebuildable' while the front suspension units (forks) are commonly rebuildable. What's the magical reason for that - just the the pressurised damper unit at the rear? I think this is relevant, as YSS, Nitron and the rest do not generally supply replacement front ends (only springs, from some).

I have bought a Nitron (in preference to Hagon) rear shock because my head was turned by Nitron's 'compression/rebound damping control', which the Hagon unit did not offer at the time (for similar money). I would have been happier to just replace the old damping oil and maybe the spring of the rear unit.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:45 - 21 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bru wrote:

I have bought a Nitron (in preference to Hagon) rear shock because my head was turned by Nitron's 'compression/rebound damping control', which the Hagon unit did not offer at the time (for similar money).

That surprises me. I always considered Hagon as an ok option if you were on a restricted budget but really had to have a new shock, as I once had to when money was tight.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bru
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:19 - 21 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The purchase was several years ago - I may have exaggerated the price difference in favour of Nitron, thinking about it. I'm sure that Nitron offered a better option for slightly more money, but now that I have pulled the rug from under myself, I should stop this comparison! [And the Nitron is lush.]

But still - why no rebuild option on stock shocks - they are damn expensive to replace.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:44 - 21 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always thought that suspension is an area where the bike manufacturers have cut corners to keep costs down, especially with the introduction of new models, although often they get an upgrade on following models. I think it's totally the wrong place to do it, if do it they must. I'd much rather they cut on electronic accessories than the basic essentials.
When you've had a bike with really top notch suspension, you wonder how you ever managed without it.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:10 - 22 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bru wrote:
Hi. What I do not understand is that so many rear OE shocks are 'non-rebuildable' while the front suspension units (forks) are commonly rebuildable.

Don't know the answer (but most would suspect its cost. Perhaps a deal with the shock manufacturer; yes we'll supply them cheaper to you Mr Honda, but we won't allow them to be rebuilt).
But I have just made that up.

I'm also not sure what manufacturers mean by non-rebuildable. But assuming its one or two of:
1. You can't get parts.
2. The nut retaining the shock head on the shaft is peened (stopping the nut from being undone).

Then:
1. There are pattern parts for standard sized shock heads (KYB and Showa) from Ktech and AllBalls and others probably.
2. It's possible to get round not peening, by grinding it away.

I've had apart KYB and Showa shocks from a 1997 Honda, and 2011 Daytona, 2014 Gixxer. Not found an OEM shock yet that was not serviceable (albeit not official parts always).

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:19 - 22 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I'd much rather they cut on electronic accessories than the basic essentials.

Agree. I understand on a 220bhp V4 Panigale its possibly more understandable to have electronic rider aids.

But you get umpteen rider modes, traction control, anti wheelie etc on sub 120bhp bikes (its drivel). And colour TFT screens.
Ditch it all and put the £500 into the bouncy bits Mr Manufacturer.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:13 - 22 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've put Hagon shocks on a couple of bikes (twin shocks on the MZ, mono on the VFR750), best I can say is they were alright. The twin shocks started rusting seemingly in days. The mono was just grand when I first had it, but started leaking after a couple of years, so I got it rebuilt (by Hagon, for my weight), and it just never seemed quite right since it went back on, just felt a bit....dead? Hard to describe but different certainly, given that it was the same shock.

Wouldn't buy another Hagon. I'm probably going to get a fresh shock for the VFR800, and I'll go with Nitron, I'll pay the extra given that no-one seems to have a bad word to say about them.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 21:25 - 22 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
The thing is, Nitron are a LOT cheaper than Ohlins etc, and are made in the UK to your specification. I had the basic Nitron on my VFR800 and it was the best money I've ever spent on bike parts. It's that bloody good. I had to tweak the damping and set the preload to suit me, but it didn't take a lot of effort and it totally transformed the ride.

Hagon built me a custom shock for my 09 Deauville, additional length, harder spring and Pre-load adjuster for the price of a standard one so £425, can anyone else do that for the price? Looks like the equivalent from Nitron would be £683.70+VAT so £820.44 which is a BIG difference.

Hagon are cheap because they are a modular design not because of poor quality but they are built to a price.

stevo123
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:31 - 24 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything will be a vast improvement over stock i'd say

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:02 - 24 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

White Power (WP) was another higher end of mid-tier make of shock. Not sure if they're still on the go. They were the go-to remote adjustable preload shock when VFR800s came out.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:42 - 24 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
White Power (WP) was another higher end of mid-tier make of shock. Not sure if they're still on the go. They were the go-to remote adjustable preload shock when VFR800s came out.

They aren't called White Power any more (for hopefully obvious reasons) just plain WP, and they are owned by KTM. They still make aftermarket shocks that are very expensive and very good, and they save the mid tier stuff for 'R' level KTMs.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:46 - 24 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
[
Hagon built me a custom shock for my 09 Deauville, additional length, harder spring and Pre-load adjuster for the price of a standard one so £425, can anyone else do that for the price? Looks like the equivalent from Nitron would be £683.70+VAT so £820.44 which is a BIG difference.

Hagon are cheap because they are a modular design not because of poor quality but they are built to a price.

Still OEM replacement rather than performance parts though. The Nitron remote preload adjuster is a touch on the pricey side, but I got a custom Nitron with a spring rate for my weight for my VFR for £420. I felt like I was perhaps paying out too much when a YSS was £300. Then I fitted it and rode the bike and never looked back.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 304 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1