Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Confused of potential VAT when buying from FC Moto

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

stuey2407
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:41 - 05 Jul 2021    Post subject: Confused of potential VAT when buying from FC Moto Reply with quote

I have had my eye on some new boots that FC Moto currently have on sale. They are 135EUR which is a lot cheaper than the £199 they are currently listed as on a UK site.

My understanding is that being under the £135 FC Moto should be with holding the UK VAT at the point of sale and paying HMRC directly and therefore there shouldn't be anything to pay when they arrive. I was also planning to pay in EUR using my Halifax card.

On the checkout page there is a note in brackets that says (without vat). So I wanted to dig a bit deeper to make sure I knew what all the final price would be. Also they were quite a bit cheaper which made me a bit nervous.

Interestingly when I changed the delivery country to Germany the price increases to 161EUR. So it does look like they are not deducting the UK VAT at point of sale.

Therefore I assuming that the courier will want to collect this at point of delivery and I suspect an additional healthy fee to process the VAT payment.

Has anyone recently bought from FC Moto under the same conditions. Did the courier collect the UK VAT?

According to the HMRC website the EU sellers must pay the VAT.

I think I would rather wait for the item to go in a sale and buy from the UK seller where I also know there will be no issues with returns or problems.

Not getting into the whole Brexit debate but it is a complete shambles.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 05 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were more VAT changes on July 1st affecting all EU countries. Meaning that rules introducedt for us on Jan 1st are now the same across Europe.

That doesn't really explain what you saw though.. Did you select UK as the shipping address when you saw the 135 Euro price. In which case why didn't they show currency as GBP? There are other European sellers out there so I suggest if FC MOto aren't playing ball then you can shop around.

Their small print shoudl also tell you teh courier and then you can ask them what the VAT collection admin fee would be. For Fedex it's 4% of the VAT part, but there will also be a minimum charge I expect as 4% of 25 quid = one quid and ain't worth the hassle.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:42 - 05 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought some boots earlier this year from them and the pricing was in sterling. 102 pounds, delivered with no extra charges.

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:10 - 05 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't charge you local VAT.(hence the cheap price)

You get hit with it when it comes in.

stuey2407
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:05 - 06 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weisse Schlange wrote:
They don't charge you local VAT.(hence the cheap price)

You get hit with it when it comes in.

I suspected this was the case. I will wait and buy from a UK supplier when they have it on sale again.

Cheers

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 07 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can't really be vat if there's none on helmets...

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:40 - 07 Jul 2021    Post subject: Re: Confused of potential VAT when buying from FC Moto Reply with quote

stuey2407 wrote:
I have had my eye on some new boots that FC Moto currently have on sale. They are 135EUR which is a lot cheaper than the £199 they are currently listed as on a UK site.

What boots are they?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 292 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1