BCF: Bike Chat Forums

C90 ownership

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:53 - 06 Jul 2021    Post subject: C90 ownership Reply with quote

Seriously tempted to get one before petrol becomes confined to the history books. Cheap to run etc., as far as I can tell basic mechanics that can be easily worked on and cheap insurance/tax too. OK, so prices are inflated a bit these days compared with what they were (circa £1500-2000 to get a decent one seemingly). I realise there are inherent limitations, e.g. speed, basic suspension, brakes etc.. but I'm not approaching it as an efficient way of demolishing miles, more about a leisurely pace and enjoying everything around me. Are there any real-world tips/things to know about owning one before I take the plunge?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:37 - 06 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worst point is that they are a thief magnet.

Rear shock mount area/up under the rear mudguard on the pressed steel frame is prone to corrosion. Most will have had this patched and welded up by now.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:47 - 06 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers. Yes I'd heard about that area of corrosion; it does put me off an eBay bike unless I can get to it to view first (or cash on collection I guess).

Thief magnet? Well I kind of assumed being a small bike it'd be attractive, but are they any more desirable than any other small bike? I guess an informed thief would know they're potentially more valuable. It'd be stored in a secure garage and I already have a ground anchor installed from my old bike, so it'd be well pegged down.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:31 - 06 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are stupidly easy to steal. That is their appeal, field bike extraordinaire.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:07 - 06 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be pretty cool to own a piece of moto history like that. Always was attracted by their style, simplicity, ease of service. Good luck to you. Hope you find a clean, unmolested gem. Cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NunNe-8MtXI

Last edited by jeffyjeff on 23:23 - 06 Jul 2021; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:19 - 06 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are great little bikes, but unfortunately scene tax has made them disproportionately expensive for what they are. As has already been said, they are scrote magnets and they can indeed rot to death round the rear shock mounts, but that aside are pretty tough. I agree that modding them (especially turning them into those hideous beardy cut-down things) is a bit futile; all I've done to my 1988 bike is fit CG125 shocks instead of the useless, undamped originals which pays dividends.

Unless you're particularly wedded to the classic C90 shape etc. I would suggest an Innova - you'll get the same sort of laid back riding experience for a much smaller outlay. The Innova is a better bike in every respect: disc brake and tele forks up front, an extra gear and a few more cubes, electric start, slightly better lights etc. The early carbed ones can be had really cheaply now and represent a bit of a bargain.

Failing that, if you've got £2250 to spare I could be persuaded to sell my 1967 CT90...

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:36 - 07 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowasyoulike wrote:
They are great little bikes, but unfortunately scene tax has made them disproportionately expensive for what they are. As has already been said, they are scrote magnets and they can indeed rot to death round the rear shock mounts, but that aside are pretty tough. I agree that modding them (especially turning them into those hideous beardy cut-down things) is a bit futile; all I've done to my 1988 bike is fit CG125 shocks instead of the useless, undamped originals which pays dividends.

Unless you're particularly wedded to the classic C90 shape etc. I would suggest an Innova - you'll get the same sort of laid back riding experience for a much smaller outlay. The Innova is a better bike in every respect: disc brake and tele forks up front, an extra gear and a few more cubes, electric start, slightly better lights etc. The early carbed ones can be had really cheaply now and represent a bit of a bargain.

Failing that, if you've got £2250 to spare I could be persuaded to sell my 1967 CT90...

Cheers. I did look at an Innova (after watching a video of a guy riding one over the Bealach Na Ba a few years ago) but it just doesn't "do it" for me. I'm sure it's more practical in reality, but it doesn't have the charm for me, and I want the bike for charm not just for hacking to work and back.

While the CT90 is beautiful, it's the C90 I'm really after. I was actually hankering (briefly) after the new CT125 which looked the bees knees, but it seems like Honda aren't bringing it to Europe. It looked far more classical than the new C125 Supercub.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:06 - 07 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bizarrely you might find you can pick up an S90 cheaper than a C90.. Thin on the ground though.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:18 - 07 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the C90 has some retro-chic? Mmm... but everyone else has realised that too and so the market has priced them accordingly Sad

Surely if you just want to take the world at a leisurely pace then any 125 would do the job, e.g. the aforementioned C125. Also beware the rose-tinted spectacles of "...I remember this from my youth" as a few ppl I know have chased this recently and finished up with "...and I'd forgotten how awful they were [relative to a modern bike]"

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:30 - 07 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have an early 90s one in that lovely metallic red colour, done about 3000 miles and is pretty much mint. Hers not mine, kept because she likes the noise it makes and the way you have to ride it.

I haven't ridden it and have no intention of doing so.

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:58 - 07 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
I was actually hankering (briefly) after the new CT125 which looked the bees knees, but it seems like Honda aren't bringing it to Europe.

They aren't, but there are grey imports coming in. My mate will be picking his up shortly from Seven Seas Motors in Dewsbury. They are not cheap for what they are, though, and the paperwork hassles involve the dealer having them SVA'd.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:43 - 07 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best bit is when you ride them fast downhill through some corners and you brace your elbows against your knees to act as a crossbar and reduce frame flex.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:30 - 08 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

When they were available for £350-£400 (yes, I once bought one, with MOT, for £400 delivered) from former candidates of the London "knowledge", they seemed more attractive. Now, looking at Ebay, I'd say you'd prefer something like a CB350, for that sort of money. Just my opinion, mind. There are dual carriageways... The old C90s do have a lot of charm, anyway. There's nothing quite like that speedo staring back at you. Nice throaty little engines.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 293 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1