Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bikes with 'divided' tanks. Tips?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

hornet_guy
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:59 - 07 Jul 2021    Post subject: Bikes with 'divided' tanks. Tips? Reply with quote

There are many bikes out there like my Honda CB600 whose tank is sort of divided in 2 sides due to the chasis running along the middle.

https://a.allegroimg.com/s512/116bb2/f7de38654f84bb683ff7a5e8a4ef/Zbiornik-paliwa-bak-Honda-CB-600-Hornet-PC36-03-06

It is well known that on these bikes one can't usually make use of the full tank capacity because fuel that is in the opposite side to the tap can't reach it.
Today, I was forced to stop on the side of the road with just 155 km (96 mi) on the clock (on reserve) to tilt the bike to the tap side and continue as normal.

How do you cope with this? Did you have bad experiences? Any tips to live with this?

Cheers

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:33 - 07 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually by knowing how many miles you can do before running out of fuel and refilling before then.

However, you were either spanking the tatties off it or something is wrong. A CB600 hornet has a 16 litre tank, you should be getting around 150 miles out of that.

If you emptied it in 96 miles, that's 26mpg. That's 250LC territory.

Was it emptying to uncover the outlet, or was there a fair bit of fuel slopping about in the tank still? The "tunnel" on jap bike tanks is usually nearly totally flat at the back of the tank meaning fuel evenly distributes to both sides. Old Brit bikes had a tap on both sides of the tank (the bit stuck on one side was the "reserve", you ran on one tap then turned the other on when it started stuttering).

I wonder if you are having a fuel pump malfunction so it's emptying by gravity to float bowl level then conking out?

hornet_guy
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:52 - 07 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Usually by knowing how many miles you can do before running out of fuel and refilling before then.

However, you were either spanking the tatties off it or something is wrong. A CB600 hornet has a 16 litre tank, you should be getting around 150 miles out of that.

If you emptied it in 96 miles, that's 26mpg. That's 250LC territory.

Was it emptying to uncover the outlet, or was there a fair bit of fuel slopping about in the tank still? The "tunnel" on jap bike tanks is usually nearly totally flat at the back of the tank meaning fuel evenly distributes to both sides. Old Brit bikes had a tap on both sides of the tank (the bit stuck on one side was the "reserve", you ran on one tap then turned the other on when it started stuttering).

I wonder if you are having a fuel pump malfunction so it's emptying by gravity to float bowl level then conking out?

To be on the safe side, I never do more than 215 km (130 mi). I checked and last time I refuelled was 2 months ago, so maybe something evaporated, but with a bit of giggle I could see a decent amount of fuel still. By the way, no pump in this bike.

I just think that once in a while and depending on the road you can experience this kind of problem.

F18
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:58 - 07 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to 'cope' with it, just use it.

Filling up carefully (on the side stand) gets most to the available capacity in if that's what you want. Usually, I just fill to the bottom metal part of the filler afair - that gets most of the capacity in. Brimming it occasionally gets a little more in if I'm heading on a longer trip.

Those that insist you sit on the bike (level) to get the full capacity in probably only get 100s of mL more for their efforts - instead, just fill up 1-2 miles earlier !

hornet_guy
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:11 - 07 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

F18 wrote:
You don't have to 'cope' with it, just use it.

Filling up carefully (on the side stand) gets most to the available capacity in if that's what you want. Usually, I just fill to the bottom metal part of the filler afair - that gets most of the capacity in. Brimming it occasionally gets a little more in if I'm heading on a longer trip.

Those that insist you sit on the bike (level) to get the full capacity in probably only get 100s of mL more for their efforts - instead, just fill up 1-2 miles earlier !

Ok, thanks for the tip about the side stand. In my manual doesn't mention anything and I usually refill while on the bike keeping it levelled.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:24 - 07 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 'lean it over to get a couple more miles' can be a life saver if you lose track of your range/forget to zero the trip and manage to run out. My bike has a balance pipe so if it runs low and starts to stumble you better make for the hard shoulder sharpish because you know it's gonna die in a matter of seconds.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:07 - 08 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-Fuelling the hoowur while sat on it is a fine way to wash your Haw-Maws with petrol.

What sort of gum munching edjit voluntarily does that?

hornet_guy
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:19 - 08 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
That 'lean it over to get a couple more miles' can be a life saver if you lose track of your range/forget to zero the trip and manage to run out. My bike has a balance pipe so if it runs low and starts to stumble you better make for the hard shoulder sharpish because you know it's gonna die in a matter of seconds.

Well, put it that way... it's more like a feature than a defect... Hahaha

hornet_guy
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:28 - 08 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Re-Fuelling the hoowur while sat on it is a fine way to wash your Haw-Maws with petrol.

What sort of gum munching edjit voluntarily does that?

Well, I wouldn't like to make a discussion of this. For some reason, the refuel style topic in a bike forum seems like politics. My particular reason was to intuitively keep the bike leveled without having a center stand.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:49 - 08 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The extra you manage to squeeze in by filling the bike level then pisses out of the overflow when you put the bike on the sidestand to go and pay for the fuel.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 291 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1