Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What's the best Motorbike lock/chain for under £50

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Poita
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:49 - 05 Jul 2021    Post subject: What's the best Motorbike lock/chain for under £50 Reply with quote

I just bought a keeway TX 125 Super Moto.
I ordered a disk lock online but would also like to have a chunky chain for it.
I see a lot on line but don't know what the best chains and locks are.
Oxford seems to be a prominent company and I see some nice looking ones for just under £50.
Does anyone with experience know if Oxford are a good way to go or is there a superior brand/model?

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:52 - 05 Jul 2021    Post subject: Re: What's the best Motorbike lock/chain for under £50 Reply with quote

Poita wrote:
I just bought a keeway TX 125 Super Moto.
I ordered a disk lock online but would also like to have a chunky chain for it.
I see a lot on line but don't know what the best chains and locks are.
Oxford seems to be a prominent company and I see some nice looking ones for just under £50.
Does anyone with experience know if Oxford are a good way to go or is there a superior brand/model?

Is this just another layer of security for when the bike is parked at home or is this for when you're out and about?

Poita
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:45 - 05 Jul 2021    Post subject: Re: What's the best Motorbike lock/chain for under £50 Reply with quote

Is this just another layer of security for when the bike is parked at home or is this for when you're out and about?[/quote]

Both I guess.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:42 - 06 Jul 2021    Post subject: Re: What's the best Motorbike lock/chain for under £50 Reply with quote

Poita wrote:
Both I guess.

If you’ve already got a disc lock on the way just use that when you’re out and about. Lugging a chain around is a massive faff and at £50 whatever you get will get eaten by bolt croppers anyway. As such, it’s just another small hindrance to opportunistic thieves and probably only really useful as a visual deterrent at home around a drainpipe or other hard to remove post.

You only need to worry about opportunistic thefts as I doubt any professional thieves are going out their way for a Keeway or any other Chinese 125.

EDIT:

Except in Birmingham and London I guess Laughing

Also, from my own experience I put my Zontes 125 on two Oxford Monster chains and padlocks (one through front wheel and other through the rear wheel and foot-peg holder) and a disc lock at home and then realised all it was doing was making it harder for me to access my own bike. I've not had any kind of lock on my bike at home now for months.

Then again, I live in a semi-alright part of Hamilton where the bike is kept off the road at the back of a 3-car-length driveway where it's to the side of the house and under a black rain cover.

Poita
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:05 - 06 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. And no offence taken about my beautiful Keeway :)

My place is in a secluded apartment complex with the parking behind the building at the end of a one way access surrounded by trees etc. On the one hand no one is going to drive by it and see it but on the other hand it's a quiet place and there are loads of people who will have a chance to spot it and pass the word on so lifting it into a van in the middle of the night would be easy and out of view.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:03 - 06 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poita wrote:
Thanks for the input. And no offence taken about my beautiful Keeway Smile

My place is in a secluded apartment complex with the parking behind the building at the end of a one way access surrounded by trees etc. On the one hand no one is going to drive by it and see it but on the other hand it's a quiet place and there are loads of people who will have a chance to spot it and pass the word on so lifting it into a van in the middle of the night would be easy and out of view.

Mate you shouldn't be offended I literally ride a cheap Chinese bike too (Zontes ZT-125U).

Chinese bikes take a whipping in reputation but after getting the ECU problem out the way (under warranty) mine has actually been really good, I just have niggles about the quality of the fasteners used on it though.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:13 - 06 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poita wrote:
Thanks for the input. And no offence taken about my beautiful Keeway Smile

On my cycle to work I pass two 125s parked on teh road. One outside a block of flats in the centre of town (has a cover) another outside some regular victorian housing. Neither are are 'posh' areas but not riot zones either, both been there a few weeks now...
..might be relevant.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:41 - 06 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

£50, and chunky, likely wont go together with a lock too

what type of disc lock do you have, some can double up as padlocks

KiwiBob
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:58 - 06 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

When out on my cg125 I use a disc lock and a cheapo bike lock that's easy to carry.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254959844934?hash=item3b5cca7e46:g:pPEAAOSwBO1gt80R

It stops kids trying to run off with it but if someone really want to nick it they'll do that whatever you have.

Poita
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:18 - 08 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I think I'll ask the organization that runs the apartment complex if I can install an anchor chain in my parking spot. At least I'd likely hear anyone cutting the chain with a grinder during the day or evening.

I have a no brand disk lock on the way so will take that and my beat up old U bike lock.
I once lost the key for my bike lock when it was locked to a post just outside Queensway tube station in London. After a month of no bike I got frustrated and went there with a mate during the day and gave the lock a right old beating with the blunt end of a claw hammer but I practically ruined my arm doing it an only put small dents in the U lock. The tourists thought I was a nut case or a bike thief.
I gave up but a week later I found spare keys for the lock :)
So I'll just put that on the back rack of my bike along with the disk lock.
That is, if my bike ever arrives. I paid £150 for delivery and it was supposed to arrive two days ago but the delivery company didn't have space for it the first day and didn't bother going to the dealer on the second day so hopefully it will come soon.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 284 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1