Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike insurance

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

onlyJaz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:39 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Bike insurance Reply with quote

Hi all,

Where would you recommend I go to check out insurance prices for my bike?

Thanks

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:12 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.thebikeinsurer.co.uk/cheapest-quote-bit2/?refid=GPPC-BI-TBIN-e-c-1t1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8PWNjMvk3QIVDZ3tCh1pGAVTEAAYASAAEgKB9_D_BwE
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:27 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.moneysupermarket.com

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:11 - 03 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=opera&q=motorbike+insurance&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

And fill in as many of the results as you can be bothered to.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 03 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MahatmaAndhi wrote:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=opera&q=motorbike+insurance&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

+1 -- or anywhere and everywhere, to be pedantic.

Insurance quotes are a monopoly with no winning formula.

Incognito browser, various comparison websites, various mileage etc can all add or reduce money.

You're about the only person that has your interest at heart: to attempt to donate as little as possible each year.

Happy hunting.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:51 - 04 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use comparison site, then phone your shortlist. I like principal, they're quite good with dealing with trivial bolt on accessories. One underwriter (red star) was slow and incompetent dealing with an exhaust change, but I've stuck with the underwriter for a few years now as they've given me less stupidity than MCE (silly money mid term adjustments, and tried refusing a cancellation refund becasue they couldn't count and I ended up sending a letter listing every day that I required a refund for. It was quite long) or Swinton (could not accurately record my details) RAC/Devitt were ok and I only left them when they couldn't get me a good price when I moved.

Some brokers (principal included) will bother phoning the undewriters who want more info before they will quote and can get you good deals that wont show up on price comparison websites.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:04 - 04 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above.

Insurers really are a mixture! Do comparisons, phone them too. Remember - it's not always the cheapest that's best. Some insurers have hidden charges so if you're phoning them be sure to have a written list of questions such as mid term policy adjustment fees etc. Don't be scared to stop them mid sentence and ask to repeat what they just said and get them to explain fully!

Personally I found that some insurers really can't be arsed to do legwork. If you and your bike/location don't fit into all of their tick boxes then they won't be flexible to adjust to suit you.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:01 - 04 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-insurance/motorbike-insurance/
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:42 - 04 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
Use comparison site, then phone your shortlist. I like principal, they're quite good with dealing with trivial bolt on accessories. One underwriter (red star) was slow and incompetent dealing with an exhaust change, but I've stuck with the underwriter for a few years now as they've given me less stupidity than MCE (silly money mid term adjustments, and tried refusing a cancellation refund becasue they couldn't count and I ended up sending a letter listing every day that I required a refund for. It was quite long) or Swinton (could not accurately record my details) RAC/Devitt were ok and I only left them when they couldn't get me a good price when I moved.

Some brokers (principal included) will bother phoning the undewriters who want more info before they will quote and can get you good deals that wont show up on price comparison websites.

Online policies will normally be cheaper. They charge for the 'personal' service if you phone.

onlyJaz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:22 - 10 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the responses guys - my insurance is looking ridiculous compared to last year even without declaring my points.

Which leads onto another question - the points I received on my car license, do I have to declare them on my bike insurance?

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:42 - 10 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes,

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:47 - 10 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

onlyJaz wrote:
Thanks for all the responses guys - my insurance is looking ridiculous compared to last year even without declaring my points.

Which leads onto another question - the points I received on my car license, do I have to declare them on my bike insurance?

Of course you do, the points aren't applied to your vehicle, they are applied to your licence, and your ability to ride a motorcycle legally is determined by the categories on your Driving License, all points are equal and apply all types of vehicle insurance (car, bike, van, lorry etc)

Tomzo47
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:08 - 10 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that MCE are the cheapest, and I can't fault their breakdown cover. I've never had to claim though, and heard that they're not the best at that. Mid-term policy changes sting though.

Note they also don't accept direct debit, continuous card payment only. This is great until your card expires and they charge you a £35 default fee for not telling them.

Basically, cheap as fuck to insure, not the best to live with.

onlyJaz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:07 - 10 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys - appreciate the quick answers! Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 2 years, 220 days between these two posts...

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:11 - 17 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

when did it become a requirement to declare if you carry a pillion? i was quite surprised by this one. ive never been asked if i carry passengers on car insurance forms.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:13 - 17 May 2021    Post subject: Re: Bike insurance Reply with quote

IFFCO-Tokio put pâté de foie gras in the vegan buffet.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:32 - 17 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
when did it become a requirement to declare if you carry a pillion?

I don't know 'when', but it's because of the high risk of injury to a pillion in the event of an accident and subsequent insurance claim against the rider. So there will be a definable element of an insurance premium to cover this precise risk... however, given that plenty of riders never, ever carry a pillion - or are at least prepared to forgo that scenario - then it makes sense to provide pillion-carrying effectively as an optional extra which you don't need to pay fro if you don't want it.

I guess that in principal the same concept could be used for car insurance, however (a) the risk of injury to a car passenger is of a different order of magnitude to a bike pillion; and (b) who the hell would want a car policy where they could never, ever carry a passenger?

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:15 - 20 May 2021    Post subject: Re: Company Suggestion for Bike Insurance Reply with quote

nikparab wrote:
I would prefer that you must go with IFFCO-Tokio.

And I would prefer that you must fuck off and take your spam elsewhere.

It looks like we're both going to be disappointed.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:59 - 21 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do we have all these posts about insurance anyway?

Bike insurance is much cheapness unless you're a newbie or a kiddie (in which case any motor insurance entails a reaming).

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:48 - 12 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://generalliabilityinsure.com/

Set fire to my garage.

And we're touching children too.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:51 - 12 Jul 2021    Post subject: Re: Bike insurance Reply with quote

nikparab wrote:
I would prefer that you must go to my glory hole

I would prefer you just fuck off.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/search.php?search_author=nikparab
AveryMolly This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.
AveryMolly This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:43 - 18 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste for insurance mod.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:03 - 18 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

AveryMolly wrote:
I had many cases when they told me that will cover everything but they did not cover anything.

You gotta stop crashing then dude.

Also posting blatant fucking spam that no-one gives a rats ass about.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 131 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2