Late claim following accident

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 09 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Macallistor Investigation' Laughing

It's the wild, wild west out there, full of chancers.

You've got to become one yourself. They might even offer degrees and pro training in it.. But it's self-defeating because they create rule-bound perfect-model-of-the-universe types, and these get defeated by chancers again on the Darwinian road to nowhere.

Oh well. Such is the circle of life, or progress, depending on your pov.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:41 - 09 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
I'd expect her insurance to have been in contact if a claim had been made against her.

I wouldn't bet on that. When I crashed the car couple years ago reported to my insurance, gave my version of events, stated I had dashcam footage to back it up. I reckoned I was at partial fault but liability should have split as she stopped suddenly in a bit of road where 2 cars could pass as she must have thought her Hyundai Cuntmobile was as wide as a tank.

Come next renewal my price was £££££, phoned insurer (Provident) to query.... "oh you have an at fault accident and claim against you". Insurers didn't give a fuck was easier to just pay out for damages to her car (though the video showed literally zero damage to her bumper) and to however many made up babies she claimed were in the thing.

Being deemed 100% liable wasn't what really gripped my shit, the fact they agreed to that and paid out to her without even notifying me however really pissed me off. Bitch got £5725 in total for vehicle damage and personal injury after doing an e-stop and getting bumped by a mini doing probably 5 MPH Rolling Eyes

Also by not informing me had I ignored their crazy renewal cost and just got another quote without stating an at fault claim I'd have been possibly getting shafted if it got found out when making a future claim.

TLDR - The arseholes may not have told her about any claim against her.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:03 - 09 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a claim was made against her that she doesn't know about , why the court action?

It either succeeded or failed. Either way she snt liable personally. That's what insurance is for.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:13 - 09 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further investigation reveals this official claim letter issued by the Court Business Centre has been initiated by a legal firm who work on behalf of insurance companies. Presumably on instruction of the other drivers insurance company.

Seems a hell of an odd way to work. Presumably this way they can present the repairs etc as a done-deal without all that pesky checking for actual damage etc.

Devitts claim line is only open during working hours Monday to Friday so we can't contact them until Monday.

Given the above from wr6133, I think we need to make it abundantly clear we dispute liability when we get in touch with our insurance and that if they are not prepared to do this, then they will not be acting on our behalf. I'll go to court first.

Third parties vehicle seems to be kosher as far as I can tell.

Must have been a very glancing blow not to have had her off the bike because it was a Range Rover! I suspect not being paid out on this wouldn't cause them significant hardship either because it's less than 3 years old.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:07 - 10 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I think we need to make it abundantly clear we dispute liability .

This one.. I guess they thought they'd take it on the chin until they got the estimate from Guy Salmon.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:36 - 10 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... that's even worse! If it's an insurance company generating this claim a magistrate will have zero sympathy for them for not attempting to contact you prior to making the claim.

I wonder if your [previous] insurance company was actually dealing with this and didn't inform you Thinking

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:41 - 10 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

I suspect not being paid out on this wouldn't cause them significant hardship either because it's less than 3 years old.

Fantasy lives... it'll be near the end of the PCP term and any damage will be killing the GFV to use on the next one.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:28 - 10 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
magistrate

Not a magistrate.

Plus, I thought Stinkwheel lived in Scotland but this incident happened in the Lake District. Anyone able to explain this? Are Scottish people allowed to go to the Lake District, or have I got this all mixed up ? Embarassed Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:05 - 10 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm Scottish but live in Cumbria in accordance with traditional Scottish woman and job stealing purposes.

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:30 - 12 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still currently in dispute with the woman who knocked me off in 2019. Thread here.
They're refusing to pay all of the hire bike and storage charges...and tbh, i'm not surprised...it's over 4k Shocked

Someone in another thread talking about this pointed out the hire bike/storage deal is such a scam. No wonder they were so keen to foist the hire bike on me. That said, i did need one to get to work, so not much else i could do.

Anyway, my insurance were ready to roll over initially, but i held my ground. After all i've done nothing wrong here, it was entirely her fault, and so told them no, i will not accept that, and if it means going to court to prove it, then i'm more than willing to go to court.

It seems that the other side are willing to go to court as i got a letter asking if i'm still willing. I've said yes. I suspect though that it won't get to court, and they'll cave in beforehand. We shall see.....

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:26 - 12 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Hammers wrote:

Someone in another thread talking about this pointed out the hire bike/storage deal is such a scam.

That might have been me.

This probably won't be much help to you at this point in your claim, but I should add some nuance and clarification to the hire bike thing, in case I gave the wrong impression.

The hire bike thing is the main business of companies that work with insurers. It's their bread and butter. They need you to accept a hire bike so that they can start charging at a very high cost for this daily, in the knowledge than an insurance company (yours or the other) will pay the bill. It's a well-oiled machine. They fire off letters to the insurance company in a fault claim, stating that they're going to begin charging for a hire bike, and for storage costs of your damaged bike. The insurance company either caves right away to mitigate the ongoing cost, or it doesn't. In the latter case, they immediately dispute liability. Once more, they do this to say that they will not pay the bill for the hire bike and storage charges, because they know those hire bike charges are... expensive...

At this point, the matter is disputed, so the hire bike company, as it wants its money, retains a solicitor to prepare the case on your behalf. This is the point at which you need either legal expenses cover, or else you need to have been injured (in order to retain a no-win-no-fee ambulance chaser). As a dumbass, I looked at my policy when I had my crash, and I thought I'd been a cheapskate in not opting for legal expenses cover, but I'd forgotten that I'd opted out of this because I already had legal expenses cover with my accident breakdown company. What a mess, eh.

When a claim is disputed, there are several possible outcomes. In your case, it's £4K just for the hire bike. So they'll probably fight it tooth and nail. Just what I gather, from what I've been told. Your insurance company's agent (the one who gave you the hire bike) might not get all of its fees for the hire bike.

The one thing to remember in all of this is, common sense when signing stuff. Don't be pressured into signing anything, and most especially don't sign anything that says you will pay a lawyer's fees in the event that your claim doesn't succeed. Good luck

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:49 - 12 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Easy-X wrote:
magistrate

Not a magistrate.

Plus, I thought Stinkwheel lived in Scotland but this incident happened in the Lake District. Anyone able to explain this? Are Scottish people allowed to go to the Lake District, or have I got this all mixed up ? Embarassed Laughing

Well technically it's meant to be a district judge so fair enough Shifty Scotland would be something else again Smile

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:58 - 12 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Scotland would be something else again Smile

Sheriff. I've been to Civil court a number of times in the past few years. Not lost yet.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:50 - 16 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plot thickens.

Contacted the broker to see what's going on. They said they can't/wont discuss it and we have to speak to the underwriters.

Spoke to the underwriters. They settled the claim as a fault claim at the request of the brokers in November last year...

Very helpful lady at the underwriters agrees something very odd is going on. We told her we have had no contact from anyone beyond the initial reporting of having an accident on the day when all they took were details of the other driver. Also told her we dispute liability but have never been given the opportunity to do so.

Some thicker bits of the plot are that the claim now is for a different amount to the previous claim.

So SOMEONE has had over £2k paid out. Be that our broker, their broker, the third party or possibly a finance company who own the vehicle.

Issues are disputed liability. Who has the money? On whose behalf have court proceedings been instigated? Why is the amount of the claim now different to the amount of the initial claim?

My thoughts are that this car is probably on finance (given the home address of the third party, as mentioned above, it's unlikely they have bought a range rover). So the PPE period is nearly up and the car is still bashed. Insurance has paid out and either the PPE company have just swallowed the money or the third party has spent it and the repair has not yet or only just been done.

Or someone is at-it. In any case, it looks like this court action is most likely fraudulent, be that deliberately or in error.

Underwriters are taking a look at the court paperwork to advise what they want us to do with it and are sending out forms to instigate a complaint against the brokers for accepting liability and paying out on this claim without any communications with the policy holder.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:39 - 16 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting scenario: you have an accident that the parties involved at the time dispute who's fault it is. Your insurance company decides to issue a "no liability admitted" payment to the other side without even telling you. Do you then have to inform your next insurance company of the claim?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:26 - 16 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
That's an interesting scenario: you have an accident that the parties involved at the time dispute who's fault it is. Your insurance company decides to issue a "no liability admitted" payment to the other side without even telling you. Do you then have to inform your next insurance company of the claim?

Until yesterday, we couldn't have informed anyone because we had no knowledge of a claim having been paid out. We still don't know how much and who to.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:41 - 16 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange...

When the cat's the Insurance Ombudsman and the cat's away, the mice will play, perhaps.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:14 - 16 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if the broker made the decision it's clearly the broker to customer interface that was broken and not the underwriters fault.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:24 - 16 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You asked that nice Arry chap what his view is?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:16 - 16 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Well, if the broker made the decision it's clearly the broker to customer interface that was broken and not the underwriters fault.

Exactly, the underwriter has been very helpful and seemed surprised we hadn't been kept in the loop. They just paid out on the instruction of the brokers.

The complaint is being issued against the broker, the underwriter is sending out the forms for us to do so, she says that's the most reliable way to get action out of them.

Obviously no naming names at this point to avoid upsetting the apple cart at our end but I'll be sure to keep this thread updated and we'll see how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:34 - 16 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the broker who said you were at fault refuses to speak to you, yet the underwriter will?

A small claims court has a case pending against you from the people who were the third party?

Back in the day, I used to write giros. Yes, exacly as written. Benefit cheques.

I used to think about how I could defraud the system and how much I could get. I eventually worked out it would take at least 3 people and at best we could count on a week of doing it and then out of the country.

It was marginal whether I could have made 10k and giving up my entire :life for that much didn't appeal.

Wondering if someone has followed through and you will be the first of many where so called paid out claims have been 'diverted'.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:48 - 16 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Back in the day, I used to write giros. Yes, exacly as written. Benefit cheques.

Me too! First job after school. It was odd because when signing on at the dole office they offered me the job and I knew I couldn’t refuse because I was after all, officially looking for work. Cooped up in a small office with four old women it was a bit depressing, especially when recognising the giro recipient’s name from school. I got the sack when I apparently left early, although I never understood what happened there. Best thing, really.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:50 - 16 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brokers probably don't pay for competence. So rely on Wullie and Senga who were kept on from a work-experience program 15 years ago.
Not very bright but they are there everyday on the stroke of 9.
And can be relied upon to present Tally and Ledger books with end of month figures for 1st of month.

One of those two Edjits has dropped the fuckin' ball.

Wullie is dealing with the underwriter enquiry but since he is shagging Senga he canny exactly throw her under the bus.

Can't wait for the next episode now.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:10 - 02 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Can't wait for the next episode now.

OP will deliver...

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:28 - 02 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ongoing. Submitted acknowledgment of receipt. Told the insurer we have done so. have heard fuck all from either the insurers or the complainant.

Deadline to post the statement of defence is Friday. The insurers are being told tomorrow that unless they get their finger out and pick this up, we will be submitting our own statement of defence which they will not be given sight of and if we land up conducting our own defence, we will be claiming any resulting payments the court orders back off them. In court if necessary. Along with a formal complaint which may well result in referral to the insurance ombudsman if it is not dealt with to our satisfaction.

At this point, satisfaction would need to involve a detailed and believable appology for their total failure to communicate and for accepting liability without either consent or investigation as to the circumstances of the claim. Also an ammendment of the insurance record to reflect that this was a non-fault claim.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 259 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3