Pissy Small Fuel tank

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:05 - 07 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

GettinBetter wrote:

That 'pay at the pump' you mentioned, is 24hr I take it?

Yes. So god can't see people working on the Sabbath.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:26 - 07 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Spacker doesn't have much of a range. Maybe 120 miles, less with spirited riding...

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:43 - 28 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oower! I think I may have found someone that could make a custom tank, I hope they are still in business.

I'll try ringing tomorrow.

Anyone heard of them?

The Tank Shop
Dumfries, DG2 0SW, Scotland

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:58 - 29 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tank Shop... https://www.thetankshop.com/ Last updated in 2018 but meh, someone must be paying for the website so they're probably still in business.

For anyone else who's running the superior version of BCF, the bike in question is a Honda VF750-C Magna.

The VF750 Sabre tank has a larger capacity and I think it fits on your bike. That should be cheaper than getting The Tank Shop to make something.

The secondary tank on a VF750 is just a different name for the reserve?

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:49 - 29 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could fit a trailer to it - probably space in one of those for fuel, spare tassles and inevitably, what remains of your dignity.

Strapping extra fuel to a motorcycle ..... vs planning a route that includes a fuel stop / coffee and a loo break.

The latter sounds far better.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:34 - 29 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
The Tank Shop... https://www.thetankshop.com/ Last updated in 2018 but meh, someone must be paying for the website so they're probably still in business.

Not making enough to pay for a SSL Certificate though Very Happy

Also - this: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Baffel

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:03 - 29 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wanted a magna (94-03), glad I bought the CB instead though, seems more well rounded and usually hits reserve around 180 miles.

Read a Valkarie tanks fits too.

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:00 - 29 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
....The VF750 Sabre tank has a larger capacity and I think it fits on your bike. That should be cheaper than getting The Tank Shop to make something.....

I looked it up after seeing your post but one site says 18liters oops sorry err litres (musn't upset the grammar stazzi)...and another 20ltrs.

Currently, it's 13.5, and 3.3 of that is reserve, so I've got 10ltrs working, and I'd like to double it.

Emailed a place in Dorset today, preferred to look of their site. Their 2"Super Stretch has a 23ltrs capacity, which would be ideal. Double the working 10 + 3 for reserve.

I'm hoping they'll accept a 3D CAD design, that way I may get a bit of input.

I wonder how insurance stands with that.

It seems the Valkyrie is 20l as well ...

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:37 - 30 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Valkyrie needed a 20L tank just to make it 100 miles between visits to the petrol station. Cool bikes, but they drank like fish.

One alternative that I have employed is to drill out the filler neck to get extra fuel capacity in the space normally used for fuel expansion. This is a known modification on BMW oilhead roadsters. Anyone that attempts this mod must remember the dead air space is engineered into the tank design for a reason, and only overfill when you know you are going to burn off the fuel right away. The risk if you don't is a pool of raw fuel on the deck undernieth your bike after it has been parked for awhile. This modification on my R1150R nets me about 3 litres more per tank, and extends my range about 40 miles.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51282481175_ffa24d537e_c.jpg

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:46 - 18 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, seeing as none of the custom tank suppliers have replied, I've bought a 17T front sprocket (the std was 16T).

I also noticed that one of the previous owners has fitted a smaller rear sprocket, so god only knows what the fuel consumption was like prior to that.

I doubt it will make much difference to MPG, but will decrease acceleration. But hopefully act like and overdrive for 5th so maybe some gains in MPG.

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:56 - 12 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it's been nice this week, I've been going for a ride straight from work, filled the bloody tank up three mornings in a row this week, and never rode it on Monday. Shocked
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 255 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2