Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Power banks

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:34 - 21 Jun 2021    Post subject: Power banks Reply with quote

Want to get a power bank to charge 'phone etc. when camping. There seems to be two categories; "mainstream" branded items costing £££ and never-heard-of-them brands on Amazon for circa £20-30. For the relatively infrequent use, I'm tempted by the latter, but are these likely to blow up / catch fire etc. etc.? Conscious they're a fairly sizeable lithium polymer battery potentially mixed with cheapo wiring and charging mechanisms? Or are they not a problem?

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:03 - 21 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a few Anker power banks. Seem pretty sturdy and no sign of them going bang.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:22 - 21 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same and zero problems with them. Got two for trips to the USA and did the job perfectly when out and about away from power.

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 09:26 - 21 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

recently purchased 2 of these
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00XVTJKCQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

they seem to be well made and no getting hot or the like.
take a decent time to charge up and last for ages.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:18 - 21 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The output amps do vary some earlier ones aren't really suitable for charging or running more demanding things.
Unless you really only want to boost your phone size up a bit and two or more outlets is good too.
I got this one last year you can charge a phone or camera without dropping one indicator light.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07SB554G8
It is rather brick like in weight, towards the upper end of what you'd want in a pocket mind.
I have a much smaller one would do a weekend for phone and maybe one camera charge.
The bigger ones can take many hours to charge fully
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:13 - 21 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've definitely had problems with these things in the past, as iPhones in particular seem to be pretty fussy about what they will permit to charge them (I assume they allow only a narrow tolerance on the voltage?) I've had several which refused to perform, whereas at the same time being fine charging other kit.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:32 - 21 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one that works OK but has a weird sort of problem. If it doesn't sense enough load it turns itself off. It's fine for charging phones and the like but if I plug in a strip of led's it's fine for 30 seconds then shuts down. I don't know if that's just mine or a general problem.

It's a cheap £25 Chinese piece of crap off Amazon that's OK for what it is but bulky.

Wifie has a proper Samsung one that's tiny and does 2 phone charges but that might not be enough for certain things and was rather more money than my cheapy.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:32 - 21 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
I've definitely had problems with these things in the past, as iPhones in particular seem to be pretty fussy about what they will permit to charge them (I assume they allow only a narrow tolerance on the voltage?) I've had several which refused to perform, whereas at the same time being fine charging other kit.

This would be for charging my iPhone as well as the camping light etc.. so useful info. Did you have success with any particular one in the end?

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 21 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at eBay auctions. People tend to sell two or three together, and end up going for not very much. Far cheaper than buying from Argos, which is the cheapest brand new option I found.

How much power the banks have will vary, of course, so make sure they meet your minimum power needs (the heated seat I used to use requiring a 5000 mAh power bank minimum, for example).

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:47 - 21 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:
This would be for charging my iPhone as well as the camping light etc.. so useful info. Did you have success with any particular one in the end?

For what it's worth: https://iponcomp.com/shop/product/trust-19858-power-bank-4400-blue/1413073 - was only a cheapo one from Tesco or somewhere but it's worked well for about 7 years now; on its second iPhone. Cost never seemed to be a predictor of iPhone compatibility AFAICS!

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:54 - 21 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one of these from Lidl's .
Power bank = Yes.

And it does start the Iseki tractor , when the battery is mostly flat.
Very handy I would say:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/28036014227

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:37 - 21 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Lidl power bank - just a power bank. I've had it for at least 5 years and it's very reliable and from memory, cheap. Thumbs Up

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:02 - 21 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solar powered? For long term camping where there is no power available then solar work. Power Monkey or something.
There are shitty ones available but although they provide the same power as others the battery and solar panels are not as refined or reliable.

A 12v-5v dropper connected to the bike can be used to power a phone/torch/power bank when moving (to save draining the bike battery when parked)
Ebay. I have two fitted to my bikes. Problem free for several years.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:50 - 22 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Solar powered? For long term camping where there is no power available then solar work. Power Monkey or something.
There are shitty ones available but although they provide the same power as others the battery and solar panels are not as refined or reliable.

A 12v-5v dropper connected to the bike can be used to power a phone/torch/power bank when moving (to save draining the bike battery when parked)
Ebay. I have two fitted to my bikes. Problem free for several years.

Karma was supposed to be helpful, not funny. Doh.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:57 - 22 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an Anker power bank that I've had for a good 6-7 years now. It's been faultless; it charges everything I've ever attached to it and holds charge very well even when left for weeks. Think I paid about 22 quid for it, way back then.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:02 - 22 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Varta one which has been fantastic, although now it won't quite get to full charge, I have had it for 7 odd years.

I've also got a suaoki jump starter which works as a power bank, and that is great although it's not quite man enough to jump my Beemer with it's 3 litre straight six. It will jump the bikes just fine though.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:10 - 22 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
I've got an Anker power bank that I've had for a good 6-7 years now. It's been faultless; it charges everything I've ever attached to it and holds charge very well even when left for weeks. Think I paid about 22 quid for it, way back then.

We have loads of these in the house, and so far none of them has stopped working.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:57 - 22 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

They mostly use lithium battery packs. Sort of off the shelf sealed envelopes sized appropriate to the case dimensions but the cheap shite cheats on that front mostly and only fits the cheapest cell. Small.
The smaller ones have less capacity.
And often the cells construction is lacking.

The Mrs and I have been using this beastie since Mar 2019
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Qi-Wireless-Power-Bank-900000mAh-USB-Backup-Battery-Charger-For-Mobile-Phone-/124690666806?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

Cheaper now than then.
It still fully charges my 9s. Even when powered on and connected to 4g and stuff.
Wireless charges stuff too. My lectrik toothbrush picks up the induction loop too. Cool

I have used it fairly regularly too speshaly for travel.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 03:14 - 23 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep had a anker one for years, survived a few drops and still going.

The other one I have has jump leads adapter, just in case the bike needs a jump.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:03 - 17 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using various power banks by some well unknown makes and they are quite good, never had an issue with any of them.

However for people who are a little worried, Anker is the Brand to aim for. Energizer and Duracell would be worth looking into but the price of them are a little high which might put people off.

Yes I'm still breathing and double jabbed.

Tdibs wrote:
Yep had a anker one for years, survived a few drops and still going.

The other one I have has jump leads adapter, just in case the bike needs a jump.

I have a DBpower power back which can start a CBF500.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:58 - 19 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

As this has just popped up again.
Just dug a old one out of the draw, that has not been used for a long time. Guessing must be at least 2 years, maybe longer.
Bought in 2017 (£37.00) RAVPower 26800mAh Power Bank Portable Charger. Left in drawer fully charged. Just plugged camera in, still got 75% power showing Charging like a good un..
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 253 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1