BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Least favourite bikes owned previously?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:48 - 16 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the CB1300 is another I like the look of, especially in red and white with fairing, but I doubt I'd ever actually buy one. Probably a great tourer, but with my current bike, when you get to your destination you can remove the luggage and have a blast. The CB doesn't strike me as a bike that would be true for.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:18 - 16 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
They just always seem to miss the excitement of motorcycling for me. To this day, road test after road test by publications and individuals always seem to mention how they do things well, but never seem to have any one outstanding characteristic that you could say they were all about. Just too civilised for me I guess.

Took Mrs stinkwheel out on the back of her 2000 CBR6 last night. Mainly because she hasn't dared push it into the insanity zone on her own yet.

That bike is arguably the peak of carburetted 600 supersports. So if I had to say what they are all about, I'd say it's utter competance in what they do, to a level far beyond the abilities of the majority of riders. Perhaps that's why some people don't like them? If you have a bike that constantly calls your riding skill into question, will you get on with it?

You could go for a spirited ride out with your mates on that bike, be at the front of the pack all the way and still feel you could have gone into every corner harder and faster. If it felt like you were on the raggedy edge of grip and handling the whole way, you'd feel like a riding god for the rest of the evening.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:09 - 16 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

That bike is arguably the peak of carburetted 600 supersports. So if I had to say what they are all about, I'd say it's utter competance in what they do, to a level far beyond the abilities of the majority of riders. Perhaps that's why some people don't like them? If you have a bike that constantly calls your riding skill into question, will you get on with it?

There are so many bikes, especially sports bikes you could say that about though. I met more than my match back in 1991 with the FZR1000 EXUP, and yet bikes have come a long way since then. My best riding has been on my current bike though, since the mods were done, and specifically in Wales riding with a particular friend - we were well matched; some days he was a bit quicker than me, some days I was quicker than him. Those days just seemed to be when all my experience and a well sorted bike came together to a peak. But you could have taken a better rider than me, and he'd have been faster. Most of the time though, we're not riding on the edge, even when we're having fun. The best bikes, imo, are those that offer something even when you're not at the limit, because for most riders, that's most of the time. Hondas just don't seem to have that something I'm looking for, for most of the time.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 15:30 - 16 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

SV650. It's the bike I forget owning the most.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:47 - 16 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:

Thinking

I actually owned an SV for a short while too, I also forget.

Since it ended up on fire on the side of the M4 on the way to the BCFBBQ I feel like it would be unfair for me to give it my "worst bike" title - after all, it did give a great story to tell in exchange for it's life Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:34 - 16 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:

Yeah, I think that'd be the same for me. Just didn't have enough of anything to be memorable, apart from the torture of the seat.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:18 - 16 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

CD185T. Slow, ugly, rotted to bits and is still the only four stroke I’ve had grenade itself. Stuck a CD200 lump in from a breaker as it had a long MOT. Got £30 for the corpse when the MOT ran out.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:32 - 16 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

CZ 350

ALL THE WIRING WAS RED. ALL OF IT. Confused

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 16 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

CZ250. When it was running it was ok but it was unreliable and I ended up making a whole new loom for it - the old one was full of intermittent nightmarish problems.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:16 - 16 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
CZ 350

Are you positive?

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:39 - 17 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a CZ125 for short while but quickly swapped it for
magic beans or summat of equal value

I recall the gear shift had to be pulled out and back back to act as a kick start
A truly horrible POS it was

Shortly after one of my lads had an MZ ETZ125 and I rather liked that

Blah blah
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 08:41 - 17 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBR600F, last of the steel framed ones.

It was just another meh Honda that almost ended my biking exploits due to being so unbelievably dull in every single way.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 17 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MZ ETZ301. Don't do it kids.

Positives -
Brakes, chassis, and suspension surprisingly ok. Seat was very thick and comfy. It did start every time even after being stuck at the back of the garage for months.

Negatives -
Utterly stupid standard riding position (the pillion pegs are pretty much exactly where the rider's pegs should be). Wiring apparently done by an East German child worker. Gearchange required serious violence. Crowning turd is the engine, vibey and unhappy at any revs, just gets more and more unpleasant as speed increases.

I honestly cannot believe the money some people are asking for them these days. I can only assume it's fallout from the general rise in 2 stroke prices, because it's not based on merit.

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:57 - 18 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

2010 CBF1000

Constantly deciding to eat it's stator every so often, to the point where it ate 4 stators and 2 regulator/regulators in 40k miles, one of them failing in the right hand lane of the M4 in heavy summer traffic.

When the 4th one went, my Honda dealer replaced it for the apparently upgraded parts, comprising of a larger circumference flywheel and smaller circumference stator that was supposed to help dissapate the heat better, allowing for better cooling.

After all the parts were replaced I was already at the point of, whenever I got on it, I was wondering if it would start or not. When it got to that point it was time to give up and find something new as I needed a bike for work every day.

Sad really, as the engine was sweet as a nut, brakes were adequate and it was generally a great commuter in all weathers.

ಠ_ಠ

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:06 - 18 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
CZ 350

Me and you must have owned the same bike !! Shocked Shocked .

I got one really really cheap about 5 or 6 years ago.
I took one look at the wiring and passed it on to someone who wanted a project.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:22 - 18 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
I had a CZ125 for short while

I recall the gear shift had to be pulled out and back back to act as a kick start
A truly horrible POS it was

Now see, I had one in the olden days when I was 5-to-6 stone lighter and had a lot more hair!
Basic as it was , it was relatively easy to keep going.
I remember drilling more holes in the internal baffles in the exhaust.
It appeared to allow it to rev a little easier???
Aftermarket clutch plates helped no end compared to original clutch parts.

I always got to my destination Thumbs Up
It was a dam sight more comfortable than a lot of the other 125’s that were about at the time.

I do remember that for a 125, it was a heavy old bus Shocked.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:51 - 18 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda (pretty much any of them; to be fair the NSR was okay) and yes the SV650, though I enjoyed minitwins when you got used to the engine.

stinkwheel wrote:

That bike is arguably the peak of carburetted 600 supersports.

5EB R6 outshines this is pretty much every way for a supersports I'd say, okay that includes the ability to slap you off without a damper - new model 600s typically fix this geometry 'issue' by coming with a damper as stock.

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:09 - 18 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Street triple R I found disappointing. Never felt at one with it, adjustable suspension? yes either rock hard or soft as.
The engine wasnt bad but would have been better with the Daytona lump, not something retuned for torque i.e. slower.
The seat was like sitting on a lump of wood and the rear indicators kept snapping off of their own accord.
I know loads of people love the STR, not me.

The other would be a bike I've just got rid of, Yam Tracer 700gt. Initially I liked it then gradually over 6k miles I grew to hate it.
I never felt in touch with the road, it felt numb. It was slightly better on road pilot 5's but not much.
Engine vibes got on my wick on long runs.
Build quality was a joke, wafer thin paint everywhere, exhaust collector box rapidly became a rust box. A pannier lock ejected itself somewhere, and the panniers were a funny shape that held next to nowt. The screen was crap and buffeted in any position.
The sealer was the riding position, it killed my arse and back, glad to see the back of it.

I cant think of an old bike I had that was as bad including things like MZ supafive.

OGR

Brava210
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:10 - 18 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMW GS310

Massive pile of shit
Honda Novio, Puch Grand Prix, Suzuki AP50, CZ 125, Wassell 125, Montesa 348,Honda 125TDC, Suzuki 100ER, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Aprillia Pegaso, Honda PCX125, Honda Forza300, BMW G310 GS, Suzuki SFV650, Honda CB500X

CHARLEY SAYS " ALWAYS TELL YOUR MUMMY BEFORE YOU GO OFF SOMEWHERE"

Moxey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:26 - 18 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

GS 500E

Slow, unreliable, uneconomical and overall a shit show (didn't help that I sold my CBR400 NC23 for it on the whims of an ex either).

Another

Hornet 900

Not a patch on a Fazer 1000, snatchy fueling, average brakes, poor build quality (mine was immaculate, PO kept in his house, 1 month in my garage not so much...) and the handling was neither here nor there.

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 15:57 - 23 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

2016 Triumph t120 - the modern Bonneville. By a long way, the bike I have least enjoyed owning. I bought it new after it became obvious that death or jail were the only real options if I continued riding my 2012 Fireblade. Having fond memories of a mates T120V in the 1970's I thought the modern take on a classic bike would work. How wrong I was!
In the near 40 years that had passed I'd become used to ever increasing performance and for the most part, build quality. For a 1200cc engine supposedly tuned for torque, it was simply gutless. The suspension was like variations of pogo sticks and the ground clearance was pathetic. The brakes were just about passable but the suspension couldn't cope and the front wheel was constantly activating the ABS making hard braking all but impossible.
I could possibly have lived with these but the wheels started corroding within weeks, the clocks steamed up at the slightest hint of rain. The clocks rattled around in their mountings, the seat didn't fit and the overall build quality was just appalling. On top of all that SHIRLAWS in ABERDEEN made no effort to pursue genuine warranty claims. My first ever Triumph and most certainly my last Thumbs Down

I replaced it with a V-Strom 1000, the bike I should have bought in the first place. 4 years down the line and there's nothing I've ever ridden that beats the Suzuki for long days on Scottish Highland roads.

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:41 - 25 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZZR1200 really uncomfortable couldn't go more than 50 miles in one go.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:32 - 26 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for the 250 Superdream, I owned several of them as stop gap bikes.

The change in learner laws removed their whole raison d'etre meaning that they could be picked up for peanuts by the late 80s/early 90s.

The last one I had was pretty much mint and came with tax, MOT and about 6,000 miles on the clock. I think I gave about £300 for it, which was dirt cheap even then.

I never had an issue with any of mine save for their extreme slowness. Let's face it: A bike designed as a 400 and then sleeved down to 250 was never going to set the world alight.

Dull but worthy. But mostly dull.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:58 - 26 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJP wrote:
A bike designed as a 400 and then sleeved down to 250 was never going to set the world alight.

Unfortunately, the 400 was also a damp squib.

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:14 - 26 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

XS250 custom. Slow, unreliable and evil handling pile of shit. A real motorised turd. Not the worst bike I have ridden though, that dubious accolade belongs to the H-D 883 iron.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 269 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3