Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

1986 XBR500 side/rear plastics... warped by the sun?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

MagicalDave
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 02:46 - 25 Jul 2021    Post subject: 1986 XBR500 side/rear plastics... warped by the sun? Reply with quote

Hey all,

My dad has recently become the owner of a (relatively tidy) XBR500. Something noted early on was that the one side panel, and the rear tail plastics, do not totally line up with the other parts - but that stuff was pushed behind making sure it is mechanically sound, which it appears to be!

The RH side panel does not seem to line up correctly with (where its screw hole should be) - as it's been drilled out and a nut crudely glued in place - almost "bulging". We've sourced some new rubbers too which are holding it much closer into the bike, but it's still not perfect. You *can* screw it in by putting some pressure onto the middle of the panel, which then lines up the hole. Currently fixed in place with a nylon M6 nut which you have to finger to undo the screw...

The tail pieces don't join together around the tail light - there's a 3-5mm gap between the top coloured piece, and the grey plastic lower. One of the clips is broken, but even the side with the remaining clip doesn't seem to line up even with the clip located correctly.

My thoughts are that the bike has been left in the sun (evidenced by the very faded decal on the RH side panel) and the plastics have warped? Would gently heating the panel (or leaving in the sun) with some weight on top of it help at all?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:22 - 25 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably stand a fair chance of making it worse.

I've never known motorcycle plastics to deform in the sun. I suspect a more likely reason is either a previous crash leading to a slightly bent sub-frame or that it's been left parked in a shed somewhere for an extended period either leaning up against something or with stuff piled on top of it.

Very nice riding bikes XBR500s.

MagicalDave
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:00 - 25 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Probably stand a fair chance of making it worse.

I've never known motorcycle plastics to deform in the sun. I suspect a more likely reason is either a previous crash leading to a slightly bent sub-frame or that it's been left parked in a shed somewhere for an extended period either leaning up against something or with stuff piled on top of it.

Very nice riding bikes XBR500s.

More likely the latter - bloke had it almost upright against the wall in his shed when we picked it up. Clutch plates were also stuck together, but with a bit of rolling the bike around and massaging the lever it freed itself up.

I'll see about fixing the screw thread and leave the plastics alone! Always have the moment when trying to pop the panels off my YBR I think I'm going to break them and that's 20 years newer

MagicalDave
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:55 - 24 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update!

Was replacing the rear indicators for OEM style when we noticed that the rear fender/number plate piece was resting on the grab handles at the back. A quick look at the parts diagram revealed that they were on the wrong sides - put back and the trim no longer rests on it, and is now sitting 99.9999% better.

Also noticed that the fuel tank rubber looked odd - again looking at the parts diagram, it appeared to be upside down. Put back as per the diagram, and again everything fitting much better. Can see someones frustration (or as we are thinking, someones took it all apart to paint the frame, then forgotten how it all goes back together!)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 243 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1