Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda NSR 125 engine braking

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Simon13245
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:36 - 06 Jul 2021    Post subject: Honda NSR 125 engine braking Reply with quote

Hey guys,

so first of all sorry for the confusion about the black box under the seat.

Engine braking on a two-stroke. Yeah, I know it's been beaten to death, but I want to ask anyway. So my NSR has a working oil pump and the oil pump cable is adjusted as the manual says. So I've read a lot about engine braking on a two-stroke. Some say it's ok cause the pump regulates the flow, some say you should never do that because the pump is closed when the throttle is closed.
So my question is, if I engine brake from 5000rpm, is the pump working just like in idle, or is the shaft inside the bike spinning the pump faster so that the oil gets delivered into the engine?

I also have other problems with the bike like leaning left to right with no hands on the steering wheel, I can't full throttle the NSR under 3k rpm on 1st gear cause it dies, but I would have to spam all over the forum...

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:46 - 07 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your pump restricts oil flow at closed throttle because the engine produces no power at closed throttle; in fact, when engine braking, the engine is absorbing power (minimal heat generation in the combustion chamber). Flow from your oil pump is engineered to accommodate these variables. Don't worry about it and engine brake to your heart's content.

As far as stalling out below 3000 rpm, sounds to me like someone swapped out the carburetor with a larger (slide carburetor) in an effort to achieve more power. Whack open the throttle and the larger throat diameter does not provide sufficient air velocity to draw fuel through the venturi. Wrong move if smooth operation over the entire rpm range is important to you. Wink

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:48 - 07 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

"No hands on the steering wheel"?

What sort of trollery is this?

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 11:24 - 07 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have probably opened a can of worms that has remained shut for many years on the debate about 2-stroke oiling on a closed throttle. My personal view - you may cause a bit more wear, but on a bike of that age the crank seals are going to dry out and fail before you wear out the crank. Just ride it how you want and don't worry too much about what is happening inside the engine. 2-stroke oiling is an ugly thing.

The full-throttle problem. Someone has probably fiddled with the carb, or fitted a different one. This is one of the few 125s that can be made faster, if you know what you're doing. You would need to know what jet sizes are fitted and what the current needle height is, and compare those against what are recommended for your current state of restriction. From memory the factory settings are for 12hp restricted bikes, with bigger jets used after derestriction.

Bike flopping around with your hands off the bars. The easiest solution is to keep your hands on the bars. After that, there are lot of things it could be, in vague order of cost/difficulty:
- Tyre pressures
- Wheel alignment
- Tyre wear
- Headstock bearings worn/notchy
- Swingarm, rear suspension linkage bearings worn
- Bent forks, frame

Simon13245
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:38 - 07 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
Your pump restricts oil flow at closed throttle because the engine produces no power at closed throttle; in fact, when engine braking, the engine is absorbing power (minimal heat generation in the combustion chamber). Flow from your oil pump is engineered to accommodate these variables. Don't worry about it and engine brake to your heart's content.

As far as stalling out below 3000 rpm, sounds to me like someone swapped out the carburetor with a larger (slide carburetor) in an effort to achieve more power. Whack open the throttle and the larger throat diameter does not provide sufficient air velocity to draw fuel through the venturi. Wrong move if smooth operation over the entire rpm range is important to you. Wink

Thank you for the detailed response. I was afraid that I am gonna seize the piston because it won't get enough lubrication. I was always pulling the clutch and worrying about the engine.

Unfortunately, I can't confirm if the carburetor was swapped. I am such a noob in terms of motorcycles that I have no idea. Maybe you are right. Above 3k rpm it works smooth and goes straight to 10k with no problems.

MCN wrote:
"No hands on the steering wheel"?

What sort of trollery is this?

Yeah sorry, I should have said handlebars. I apologize.

Robby wrote:
You have probably opened a can of worms that has remained shut for many years on the debate about 2-stroke oiling on a closed throttle. My personal view - you may cause a bit more wear, but on a bike of that age the crank seals are going to dry out and fail before you wear out the crank. Just ride it how you want and don't worry too much about what is happening inside the engine. 2-stroke oiling is an ugly thing.

The full-throttle problem. Someone has probably fiddled with the carb, or fitted a different one. This is one of the few 125s that can be made faster, if you know what you're doing. You would need to know what jet sizes are fitted and what the current needle height is, and compare those against what are recommended for your current state of restriction. From memory the factory settings are for 12hp restricted bikes, with bigger jets used after derestriction.

Bike flopping around with your hands off the bars. The easiest solution is to keep your hands on the bars. After that, there are lot of things it could be, in vague order of cost/difficulty:
- Tyre pressures
- Wheel alignment
- Tyre wear
- Headstock bearings worn/notchy
- Swingarm, rear suspension linkage bearings worn
- Bent forks, frame

Thank you for your input. You are right, two-stroke oiling is an ugly thing and everyone has their own opinion. It's also my fault, I bought a really old bike and expect it to work perfectly.

In terms of the full-throttle, I am unable to check that. I will probably break something. I will wait until the season ends and ask the mechanics to check everything once again. This time with more details, they will have more time for that.

Bike flopping. Tyre pressure is correct, wheels are alignment because they were done when changing to the new tires. Headstock bearing is the thing that may be the problem. Whenever I creep forward (engine off) and press the front brake, handlebars click. You can just grab the bar and move it up and down and it clicks. The mechanic said they installed a new bearing, but I am not sure.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:44 - 07 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your mechanic may have installed a new bearing but failed to set the preload correctly. Noises from the front end as you describe are not normal.

Simon13245
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:51 - 07 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
Your mechanic may have installed a new bearing but failed to set the preload correctly. Noises from the front end as you describe are not normal.

I think you are right. I talked to him just a few minutes ago. He said that I should visit him and he will tighten the bearing and sort all the problems.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:57 - 07 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is this 'season' of which you speak?

Simon13245
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:01 - 07 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
What is this 'season' of which you speak?

I meant like November/December here in Poland when weather is awful, snow appears and it's time to "winterize" your motorcycle.

stevo123
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:06 - 07 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't give it a second thought in normal riding conditions. Engine braking down a huge hill then yes give it a few blips, nothing more than that is needed (IMO)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Simon13245
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:50 - 07 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo123 wrote:
Don't give it a second thought in normal riding conditions. Engine braking down a huge hill then yes give it a few blips, nothing more than that is needed (IMO)

Thank you. After reading all of the replies I feel more confident riding my NSR.

Also, I would like to add something to the stalling under 3k rpm. I can rev it super easy on neutral. It goes nicely straight to 10k rpm. However, in first gear when I move I gotta make sure that I start slowly. I can't move super quickly. For example, I am standing at the red light and I want to get out of it very quickly, the bike just stalls. I also noticed that starting uphill is a little difficult because if I add too much throttle and release the clutch then it stalls immediately.

Sorry for mixing topics here.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:29 - 08 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is still some residual 2t coating the upper cylinder/s after combustion. Not all of the 2t is burned or blown through.
As mentioned, the detriment to the engine on overrun is almost negligible as the load on the moving bits is low. Machines can run with no lubricant between moving parts. The need for lubrication is almost directly proportional to machine loading. Some machines rely on 'splash fed' lubrication where something that is in motion is submerged in lubricant and that throws lubricant all over the place.

I'd guess that unless you are engine braking from the tip of the North Face of the Eiger (13000' in Old Money) to the beach at Malaga, then it's nothing to worry much about.
If worried then move up to where the Men Live and buy a 4t Cool

Very Happy

For piece of mind, make sure you use good quality 2t oil and mix properly, if no tank. Less ash and shite plus improved 'other additives' in it.

stevo123
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:44 - 08 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not an expert at all but I would start with basics re your bogging problem.
-Is your air filter in good condition, are there any splits in the system after the airfilter. Spray brake cleaner on any joints and listen to engine note changing.
-Do you have any water in your fuel?
-How is your HT lead and spark plug/plug cap?
-Might be worth removing the carb and taking it apart, checking as you go to be sure the right jets are in there and the float height is set right. (That sounds quite daunting but a local bike mech would do that easily for you).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Simon13245
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:36 - 08 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
There is still some residual 2t coating the upper cylinder/s after combustion. Not all of the 2t is burned or blown through.
As mentioned, the detriment to the engine on overrun is almost negligible as the load on the moving bits is low. Machines can run with no lubricant between moving parts. The need for lubrication is almost directly proportional to machine loading. Some machines rely on 'splash fed' lubrication where something that is in motion is submerged in lubricant and that throws lubricant all over the place.

I'd guess that unless you are engine braking from the tip of the North Face of the Eiger (13000' in Old Money) to the beach at Malaga, then it's nothing to worry much about.
If worried then move up to where the Men Live and buy a 4t Cool

Very Happy

For piece of mind, make sure you use good quality 2t oil and mix properly, if no tank. Less ash and shite plus improved 'other additives' in it.

Thank you, it feels better to know that I won't damage my bike. Thankfully in my region, there aren't any hills so I won't engine break from such high elevations.

My NSR uses an oil pump, it was leaking but now it's great. In terms of oil, it's quite a stupid story. The dealer told me he used Motul 510 2T (semi-synthetic) so I bought one to have it when the bike comes back. Motul 510 is blueish, but the tank was filled with red oil. Dealer lied to me but considering all the problems with the bike I shouldn't be surprised. The mechanic took the bike and fixed most of the problems, but they mixed two oils. I hoped they gonna remove the old oil, but they just topped up the tank with Motul 510. Right now they are mixed and nothing is happening. I think it should not damage my bike. Overall I heard that Motul 710 is better and I may be changing it next time.

Right now I want to learn a bit, then I will make a driving license and purchase a proper 4t Smile

stevo123 wrote:
Not an expert at all but I would start with basics re your bogging problem.
-Is your air filter in good condition, are there any splits in the system after the airfilter. Spray brake cleaner on any joints and listen to engine note changing.
-Do you have any water in your fuel?
-How is your HT lead and spark plug/plug cap?
-Might be worth removing the carb and taking it apart, checking as you go to be sure the right jets are in there and the float height is set right. (That sounds quite daunting but a local bike mech would do that easily for you).

Thank you, I will keep that in mind. Fuel is clean and freshly poured. Spark plug and connections are new, replaced a few days ago. The air filter is new as well. I think I am not able to take out the carb, I seriously don't know what I'm doing. I will go with the mechanic option in some time. I hope that maybe carb calibration will fix all the problems.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 16:58 - 08 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mixing oils will not be a problem (Except in a few very unusual circumstances, maybe, that are not going to apply in this situation)

The bogging problem is almost certain to be the wrong size small jet in the carb, or the needle at the wrong position. Possible that it's just a blockage in a jet, but this is only likely if the bike was sitting unused for ~12 months before you got it. If that is the case, running the bike fresh fuel may clear it out.

To test your own headstock bearings for notchiness:
1. Get the front wheel up in the air with no load on it. This is usually done by putting a bike on the centre stand (if it has one) or by putting a couple of car jacks under the footpeg mounts, and getting someone to push down on the back of the bike.
2. Very gently (fingertips) move the bars from side to side. If you feel a notch, roughness, or a click when the front wheel is pointing forwards, you have worn out bearings.

Changing them is one of those "simple" jobs that can be a pain in the arse. Certainly not something to attempt yourself if you're not comfortable working on bikes.

If they are not worn but just loose, get the person who changed them to tighten them up.

Simon13245
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:18 - 08 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Mixing oils will not be a problem (Except in a few very unusual circumstances, maybe, that are not going to apply in this situation)

The bogging problem is almost certain to be the wrong size small jet in the carb, or the needle at the wrong position. Possible that it's just a blockage in a jet, but this is only likely if the bike was sitting unused for ~12 months before you got it. If that is the case, running the bike fresh fuel may clear it out.

To test your own headstock bearings for notchiness:
1. Get the front wheel up in the air with no load on it. This is usually done by putting a bike on the centre stand (if it has one) or by putting a couple of car jacks under the footpeg mounts, and getting someone to push down on the back of the bike.
2. Very gently (fingertips) move the bars from side to side. If you feel a notch, roughness, or a click when the front wheel is pointing forwards, you have worn out bearings.

Changing them is one of those "simple" jobs that can be a pain in the arse. Certainly not something to attempt yourself if you're not comfortable working on bikes.

If they are not worn but just loose, get the person who changed them to tighten them up.

Thank you. I received an overwhelming amount of information. I really appreciate all your help. Thanks for bearing with me Razz

buddy
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:11 - 25 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allways did it on mine. Looked fine when i pulled it apart years later.
I think premixed 2 strokes are a different kettle of fish tho.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:00 - 25 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So my question is, if I engine brake from 5000rpm, is the pump working just like in idle, or is the shaft inside the bike spinning the pump faster so that the oil gets delivered into the engine?

It's delivering the proportion of oil the engine uses at idle but at a frequency directly related to the engine RPM.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Simon13245
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:02 - 25 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

buddy wrote:
Allways did it on mine. Looked fine when i pulled it apart years later.
I think premixed 2 strokes are a different kettle of fish tho.

Pete. wrote:
Quote:

It's delivering the proportion of oil the engine uses at idle but at a frequency directly related to the engine RPM.

Thank you for the answers. Thanks to you I know more about my bike Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 269 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1