Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Phone based navigation- Recommendations please!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 24 Jun 2021    Post subject: Phone based navigation- Recommendations please! Reply with quote

Evening chums!

After Many years, I think it may be time to ditch my trusty Tomtom Rider, and switch to some sort of app for my route planning. The question is, which one?

My primary need is the ability to plan my own routes in advance, road by road, then access them when needed. So just using Google Maps is out (I think).

All other niceties, live traffic, speed cameras etc, are secondary.

Any suggestions?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:04 - 25 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A priority is a map that suits continuous navigation on the move.
And with a setting to show progress route up rather then compass point up.
It's simpler to find left/right turns that way.
And one with a good stash of offline capabilities.
I've tried to work with Navmii and Google maps they work but my Garmin Bike navs kick those apps into the hard shoulder as far as real functionality is concerned.
I don't yet need to persevere with phone apps. So far they have mostly disappointed.
TomTom is not as functional as Garmin.
I have looked at GPS systems for decades even before satnavs became a thing.

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 07:05 - 25 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some lf my riding buddies use co-pilot, also good for plotted routes.

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:10 - 25 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just switched to Magic Earth (free version), so that I could delete another one of the virus apps from google. Not quite as good as google, but definitely works fine, and doesn't require permission to access to every app on your phone.
Is there an app that let's you choose 'road by road' ? I believe you'd choose destination to destination and store them as favourites/history and select the next as you finish the last...

Will checkout that 'co-pilot' though.

Marlin
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:09 - 26 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at scenic
https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/scenic-motorcycle-navigation/id1089668246

I've used for a few years including touring holidays.
It's strong points are planning interesting routes and import and export of routes, including creating routes from recorded rides.

Down sides: Doesn't do any live traffic so not an every day get places satnav, and iPhone only.

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:46 - 26 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Google maps. You can plan a route on there, you put in a start point and a destination and add various waypoints. It then gives a suggested route which you can edit as you wish. You can then save the route and send it to your phone or print it if you want to.

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:47 - 26 Jul 2021    Post subject: Re: Phone based navigation- Recommendations please! Reply with quote

Monkeypony wrote:
My primary need is the ability to plan my own routes in advance, road by road, then access them when needed. So just using Google Maps is out (I think).

Not completely. I've used it a few times when I've hired bikes abroad and not hand anything fancy bolted to the bars.

You can create a route on the Google Maps webpage on your computer which a limited number of waypoints (8-10 ish I think), then hit 'send to phone'. The full route will pop up on your phone in ready to navigate.

I would also recommend saving it to a shortcut icon on your phone desktop for easy access later. Otherwise, if you cancel navigation for whatever reason, you'll lose the whole route and need to send it to the phone again. Not ideal if you're halfway along your finely crafted route and your computer is hundreds of miles away.

A key downside of Google Maps, however, is when you arrive at a waypoint, it'll pop up a dialog on the screen to say you've arrived and won't give you any more directions until you hit OK on the screen. A right pain in the ass if your phone is in your pocket, you're only listening to voice directions and the waypoint is on the middle of a freeway you're bombing down and are expecting some more directions very soon to know which intersection you need to pull off at...

Also, note Google Maps needs phone reception/data to contact Google servers to calculate a route. This can be a pain if you miss a turn or go off route somewhere out in the sticks, Google Maps won't be able to recalculate your route until you get reception again.

And on the subject of data usage, do you plan to navigate abroad? Sure you can download maps for offline use (Type 'OK Maps' into Google Maps search), but I've always found it a bit hit'n'miss if it'll successfully download a large map area. Do factor in roaming charges, especially now mobile firms are starting to re-introduce high roaming charges in the EU following the dreaded B-word. You might find it cheaper to buy a local SIM to swap in.

You can get by with Google Maps, but there's definitely better stuff out there.

Last edited by Arfa__ on 17:56 - 26 Jul 2021; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:53 - 26 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used OSMand before. I haven't really used anything else so can't compare it because I usually use actual maps. It got me out of bother trying to navigate Metz town centre in 40 degree heat one summer though. I've also used it for mountain biking and foot navigation in Portugal where the mapping is apalling.

Plus point is it has full offline mapping capability in addition to downloading maps on the fly and doesn't use google maps, it uses open street map which is pretty detailed, especially overseas.

Minus is you have to pay for additional tiles once you've downloaded your free ones... Or you could uninstall and re-install to start again. You can also pay for additional features like contour lines etc.

I use OSM on my GPS logs/plans/routes so it integrates well with that.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:13 - 26 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Waze was the go to Sat nav app these days? I use Google Maps generally and Calimoto sometimes though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:25 - 26 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin734 wrote:
I use Google maps. You can plan a route on there, you put in a start point and a destination and add various waypoints. It then gives a suggested route which you can edit as you wish. You can then save the route and send it to your phone or print it if you want to.

I tried this before. Spent hours planning a lovely route through Wales, road by road, and then when i sent it to my phone it just ignored everything i put in except the start and end points and did the shortest/efficient route as normal. Rolling Eyes

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:48 - 26 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I thought Waze was the go to Sat nav app these days? I use Google Maps generally and Calimoto sometimes though.

You ever read their privacy policy? Shocked

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:51 - 26 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
MarJay wrote:

which one?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:58 - 26 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

which one?

Waze.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:00 - 26 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
Waze.

I don't use it, I just hear about it all the time.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:22 - 28 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
MarJay wrote:

Someone needs to get out more..

OP forgot one bit of information.

What sort of phone they are using.. Not all APP's work the same. Rolling Eyes

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:35 - 28 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calimoto is quite good for "spontaneous riding" - pop in a destination and it'll get you there on generally reasonably interesting roads. It's not perfect though and you're limited to downloading a finite amount of maps for free (obviously more available if you pay).

I have a TomTom Rider that Mrs Thunderguts got me for Christmas; it's much better than a 'phone as it'll work with gloves on, it's completely waterproof (without worrying about cases) and doesn't have the faff of every other notification (texts, whatsapp etc. etc.) popping up on your screen when you least want it. It's not perfect though; when left to plot a route by itself, it does tend to pick backlanes unless you set it to "thrill - fastest route". My intercom sometimes gets in a twist too as it connects to my 'phone and the satnav independently, but the satnav also connects to the 'phone (for an internet connection for live traffic etc.), but generally it's only an issue when turning it on then it works after that.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:52 - 28 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:

Someone needs to get out more..

I get out plenty. I just don't like using services that hang onto EVERY detail of EVERY journey I make forever, and then hand them the ability to sell that info on to whoever the hell they feel like.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:08 - 28 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a map, get lost, ask a stranger. enjoy life as it was 20 (30?)years ago. Bollocks to sat nav.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:25 - 28 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Buy a map, get lost, ask a stranger. enjoy life as it was 20 (30?)years ago. Bollocks to sat nav.

This is what I find myself doing on the C90. Not sure why, but it seems to lend itself to exploring backlanes without worrying about where they are going, then just asking if I get totally lost. Laughing

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 03 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

SirFallalot wrote:
Some lf my riding buddies use co-pilot, also good for plotted routes.

+1

Used it for 8+ years.

If doing a fiddly / specific route. I use free app to draw out route on google maps type interface, save the file and copy it to phone.
https://www.routeconverter.com/home/en

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:26 - 04 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did some research into this recently.

Seemed the Tom Tom Go app is the best one for that. Also is supposedly the most accurate for speed cameras as well.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 259 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1