Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

DVLA - Engine swapped - previous owner did not update the V5

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

DucksGuts
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:21 - 29 Jul 2021    Post subject: DVLA - Engine swapped - previous owner did not update the V5 Reply with quote

Hi BCF,

In short here's a summary of what situation I'm in. I passed my DAS a few months ago after having it completely disrupted during 2020 and it took me 16 months from start to finish. I have purchased a bike that I've wanted for a while and I'm looking forward to finally getting on the road.

Bike with its current engine: 600cc
    Bike on V5 listed with it's previous engine: 350cc

Previous owner swapped out the engine but did not update the V5

(Not other modifications to frame and engine is a straight swap)

Currently SORN
    MoT valid til next year
    V5C in my name arrived today in the post.

I'm aware the DVLA is having serious issues and it could be weeks/months.

My question is, should I tax and insure the bike - then send off the V5C with the updated Engine CC and Engine number or should I send the V5C off without taxing the bike and just wait.?

Can I tax the bike for its smaller 350cc engine and then "upgrade" the engine during a tea break and then send the V5C with it's updated details in the afternoon?

Are the insurers going to have any problems even though I'll be making them aware that this is the situation and will be obtaining insurance for the bike with the cc increase?

Sorry if this is confusing! Thank you in advance for any advice.

Last edited by DucksGuts on 16:09 - 29 Jul 2021; edited 1 time in total

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:33 - 29 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, someone made a 350cc bike (wich would be usable under one of the age restricted license category) into a 600cc which wouldn't but didn't tell anyone.

And you've just 'purchased' this bike after you've passed your big boys license.....

Hmmm.....

DucksGuts
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:55 - 29 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
So, someone made a 350cc bike

"Harley Davidson" - just what were they thinking?

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
into a 600cc which wouldn't but didn't tell anyone.

That's right, a project that never left the shed.

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
And you've just 'purchased' this bike after you've passed your big boys license.....

I know, incredible what a small bag of magic beans gets you these days with inflation.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:59 - 29 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t imagine insurance companies getting you in trouble for it as long as it’s declared.

DVLA will likely screw you if it’s not taxed correctly.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:07 - 29 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that i'd ever think of breaking the law but I can think of alot more downsides to declaring it compared to not giving a fuck and keeping as is.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:18 - 29 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need to send "evidence" of the engine swap in to the DVLA along with the V5. Either a receipt for the engine or a letter on headed paper from a garage confirming bike vin mumber 12345 is now fitted with engine number 67890.

I'm not sure what their take on changing the cc is because I've never done it. They might decide they want it inspected.

What the law requires you to do is inform the minister of the changes you have made to the vehicle. Regulations then allow you to make this declaration to the appropriate agency. In this case, the DVLA.

Another law states that if a legal declatation is required to be made by post, posting that declaration means it has been received.

The law also requires you to tax and insure your vehicle.

Your insurance contract requires you to inform them of any modifications you have made to the bike

So. What I would do is tax the vehicle as it shows now. Insure it declaring the modifications and send off your advice of modifications to the DVLA. I would keep a copy of the form you sent in to the DVLA and attach the proof of posting to that copy.

If/when they send back the altered V5, SORN the bike and re-tax it.

This isn't to say the DVLA wont get humpty but you can at least show you have taken all reasonable and legally required action to do things by the book. By sending them written notice of the alteration, you have complied with the law.

I still wouldn't be at all surprised if you receive a letter refusing to alter the engine capacity and/or stridently accusing you of defrauding them of tax. Or even just sending the V5 back unaltered with no comments.

Where you will have broken the law if you do the above is in not paying sufficient tax but I'm not aware of a mechanism to do so until they have altered their records.

If you really wanted to confuse the shit out of them, you could send them a cheque for the extra £24 with a letter stating you believe you have underpaid the excise duty on your vehicle (and again record doing so). If it later came to a court case, showing you had made the statuatory declaration about the engine change AND sent them the difference in unpaid VED would leave very little to make a case from.

EDIT: As with wr6133, hypothetically if one of my bikes cc didn't match the V5, I would probably decide it wasn't worth the inevitable creative misunderstandings and harrassment that would result from informing the DVLA. However, there would be no way of telling that the cc of this hypothetical bike was different without measuring the bore and stroke. It may be a different matter if the cc of the swapped in engine is already recorded as being larger.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:04 - 29 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure my ZXR750 was still a 750 on the V5 but a 900 engine wise Thinking

Would I care, if I was riding on the road in a high risk area, yeah. If I was fucking around on track with it or bimbling in the country, probably not.

I'm far more legal these days though Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:11 - 29 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be an issue over the braking effect of a chassis designed for a 350cc engine power output with a 600cc engine power output.
Engineering wise, the brakes are matched for the amount of push the engine can produce.
Big engines need big brakes.
If the brakes were upgraded to suit then an engineer who can work that out could pass it as a 600cc bike.

Unless there absolutely no fuks given in the engineer report field.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:33 - 29 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
There will be an issue over the braking effect of a chassis designed for a 350cc engine power output with a 600cc engine power output.
Engineering wise, the brakes are matched for the amount of push the engine can produce.
If the brakes were upgraded to suit then an engineer who can work that out could pass it as a 600cc bike.

But then you have the Yamaha SZR660. Which is a 660 single in a TZR250 chassis.

Or the ZXR400/750.

Or the old favourite gixer 7/11 oil boilers.

Enfield bullet 350s and 500s have exactly the same chassis.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:40 - 30 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd sort it out with the DVLA first (while it lives in a shed / gets trailered to where it may need to go for any inspection. Once square with them, tax, insure and MOT it.

I don't know enough about the intricacies, but I do know that insurance companies will pore over every possible detail to squirm out of a claim. If you hit someone and a pedantic assessor starts to unpick things like the wrong engine etc.., while you may have declared it to the insurers, they may find other clauses to screw you on.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:16 - 30 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the DVLA have on file vs what you tell your insurer are two different things.

DVLA is tax and ownership - end of. All they care about the legal stuff for is so that they can apply the correct tax to the correct owner.

Yes there's some stuff about having the correct documentation but if you've been up front with your insurer then that's all they care about.

As Stinkwheel says, tax it as is. Notify the insurer, fill out the form for the DVLA and send it off with the modifications on and then pay the updated / backdated tax when DVLA get back to you.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:11 - 30 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
MCN wrote:

Or the ZXR400/750.

This would be an interesting thread in and of itself - same chassis, different engines, i.e.

Iirc the 250 Hornet is the same frame as the 600.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:05 - 30 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
MCN wrote:

Or the ZXR400/750.

Those are great examples. I'm not that interested to know. Embarassed

But Going faster needs more stopping power. (When done properly.) It's base vehicle Rools.

Same 320mm diameter discs but the bigger engine got four pot callipers rather than two etc.

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/yamaha/yamaha_tzr250%2085.htm

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/yamaha/yamaha_szr660%2095.htm

photoman
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:21 - 07 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="stinkwheel"]
MCN wrote:

But a very low power output for the frame. Consider the following:-

BMW's (Air cooled two valve) from 1970 had the same basic frame, give or take a few modifications and they had motors from 500cc up to 1000cc and the brakes were only modified in slow steps. A BHP difference of 28BHP in the 500 engines to 70 BHP in the 1000cc engines.

So in theory there should be no problem providing the smaller engined bike and the 600cc bike where the donor engine came from had the same running gear that should be a similar case.

I have swapped bits and pieces over from various BMW twins and Hinkley Triumphs, but always told the insurance company. The only time they queried what I had done was when I fitted louder horns to a 750 BMW.

Not notifying DVLA is the fault of the previous owner, not the new one, however DVLA must be advised of the change asap preferably in the form of a letter (not E mail) Depending on their reaction and advice will ensure everything is above board and you are kept legal providing you do as they ask.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:34 - 07 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

It's a Harley. It's gone from 7bhp to 9 bhp.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 259 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1