Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A2 category reduced to 250cc

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:39 - 24 Jul 2021    Post subject: A2 category reduced to 250cc Reply with quote

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/simplifying-driving-licence-upgrade-and-motorcycle-test-rules/outcome/simplifying-driving-licence-upgrade-and-motorcycle-test-rules-response-to-consultation

I’d missed that!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:52 - 24 Jul 2021    Post subject: Re: A2 category reduced to 250cc Reply with quote

Keithy wrote:
https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/simplifying-driving-licence-upgrade-and-motorcycle-test-rules/outcome/simplifying-driving-licence-upgrade-and-motorcycle-test-rules-response-to-consultation

I’d missed that!

Just before someone wilfully misreads the drop, 245cc will be the minimum engine capacity for the test, the A2 entitlement itself doesn't change. For example it would allow the MT-03 to be used.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:04 - 24 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Motorcycle training schools made generally supportive comments.

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Among the objections raised were some from trainers who thought that they would lose repeat CBT business.

Middle Finger
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:20 - 24 Jul 2021    Post subject: Re: A2 category reduced to 250cc Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
it would allow the MT-03 to be used.

Is there any reason why a CRF250L or a KLX250 could not be used - they make about 20-25bhp iirc?

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:04 - 24 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I right in thinking that its actually the minimum cc to take the test rather than lowering the cc that you can ride as a full license holder?

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:36 - 24 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Am I right in thinking that its actually the minimum cc to take the test rather than lowering the cc that you can ride as a full license holder?

That’s the way I read it, for anyone under 24 or looking to get an A2 licence then you can do mod1 and mod2 on a 245+cc bike.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:30 - 25 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the UK (and probably Europe AFAIK) there won't be many bikes over 125cc and under 250cc. 250cc to 400cc range has way more models, nice to see them get some love.

TBH the whole cubic capacity thing is archaic and it should just be on power.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:42 - 25 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to ask yourself why now, all of a sudden, they're throwing a bone to the driving and riding instructors. Maybe it's to catch a new sector of A2 electric bikes. Or hand out A1 licence entitlements without a test to holders of cat B, as most EU countries are wont to do. One or the other. Who knows. (Or something more nefarious, going by their recent record, but I'm not getting into that.)

That said, it's a good thing they're doing this.

If all someone wants to do is ride a 250cc bike, they should be able to go ahead and take a test on a 250cc bike. Probably a boring commuter bike or scooter, just as a means of getting to work. I don't get why someone would be that uninspired by life and by the world of possibilities offered by cc- and hp-unlimited bikes as to want to do that, but each to their own. Modern 250s are cheap, efficient and reliable ways of getting around - nobody can deny that. It's going to seem a bit unambitious and less of a stepping-stone approach to getting a full cat A licence, but if all a guy or girl wants is a 250, then who are we to argue. It keeps up with the national speed limit.

There's another angle to this thing. People shouldn't feel compelled to get a Z900 or something as a first bike just because they're over 24. It shouldn't be regarded as a high water mark, getting a first bike which is way more capable than the newbie rider, while at the moment it probably is seen that way, I mean, as a high water mark. The trend towards people getting themselves Enfields is indicative that it's not about the power figures so much as how a bike produces that power, i.e. the feeling it gives you. If you're doing 40mph to 70mph on country roads then less is usually more. Much more. Again, not really a concern for the new rider, but the pressure to take on something big just to be seen as more grown-up should be alleviated somewhat by this welcome change.

She wants to get to work cheaply, and is tired of congestion. She's too young for a full cat A, and might even feel big bikes are a bit too much for her, or even finds them offputting or frightening. No problem, the local training school keeps a fleet of Burgman 250s (I'm not familiar with the latest scoots, but you get the picture). She can try out one of those, take a CBT on one and then go for her A2 licence. Now she won't be late for her shift. She's not into bikes, as such, and that's all she'll ever need.

Oh and Deliveroo and Ubereats stop the proles from revolting, don't they. 250s are more usable for deliveries. Just a thought.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:18 - 25 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
The trend towards people getting themselves Enfields is indicative that it's not about the power figures so much as how a bike produces that power, i.e. the feeling it gives you.

Possibly. Probably? But I think, more than anything, this trend is indicative of a quickly ageing demographic niche. 95% of people I see on Interceptors are seniors coming "down" from bigger, heavier, more powerful bikes.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:23 - 25 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Bhud wrote:
The trend towards people getting themselves Enfields is indicative that it's not about the power figures so much as how a bike produces that power, i.e. the feeling it gives you.

Possibly. Probably? But I think, more than anything, this trend is indicative of a quickly ageing demographic niche. 95% of people I see on Interceptors are seniors coming "down" from bigger, heavier, more powerful bikes.

Was very close to buying a ZZR1200 from a chap that had just bought an Twin Enfield of some sort. Most ad's around here recently for decent bikes (not projects or rats) are from older fella's and say smaller, lighter bikes are the reason for the sale.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 25 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take your point that the Enfields may very well be an old man thing. I just whizz about on my ancient Kawasaki twin and I think, how can anyone not want this, or a close facsimile? But if these old guys are just going for mid-sized singles and twins because they find bigger bikes too unwieldy, then fair enough. Although I think there's something to be said for a really responsive throttle and an engine that feels sprightly. Big performance bikes demand more discipline more of the time.

deadbat
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:33 - 30 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking about Interceptor as my first bike simply because as a complete newbie I feel like 650 will be more forgiving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:33 - 30 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

deadbat wrote:
I'm thinking about Interceptor as my first bike simply because as a complete newbie I feel like 650 will be more forgiving.

On that apparent logic a yzf-r6 would be even more forgiving.

deadbat
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:16 - 30 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
On that apparent logic a yzf-r6 would be even more forgiving.

I'm not a fan of sport bikes, I would prefer more upright riding position. Any recommendations?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 241 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1