Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:08 - 29 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brava210 wrote:
Well done.

Now get yourself a Scooter and an Airbag vest and you are good to go.

They will match my kawaii pink skirt and helmet mounted rain wiper nicely Embarassed

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:42 - 29 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wot I said earlier Very Happy

Congrats, well done, big bike shopping time.

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:49 - 30 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done !

When mine finally comes I dont really care how many minors etc I get as long as I pass

Bet your over the moon !

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:07 - 30 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRUN wrote:
Well done !

When mine finally comes I dont really care how many minors etc I get as long as I pass

Bet your over the moon !

Absolutely mate now I am chomping at the bit to get a big bike Laughing

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:03 - 30 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
BRUN wrote:
Well done !

Bet your over the moon !

Absolutely mate now I am chomping at the bit to get a big bike Laughing

What's on the short list?

I well remember getting my MODs 1&2 done - got the 1 passed first throw, took two on the MOD2. Smashed the MOD1 - but I'd been practising on my 125 for weeks - nay months. Made all the cone gaps a fair bit smaller, ditto u-turn dimensions - so when I was on the school CBF600 it was a piece of absolute piss.

My problem with the first go @ MOD2 was the bloody kick stand wasn't up properly when I set off! It had a lazy spring and probably hadn't had much oil on the pivot point either. Upshot was I was pulled over ten yards down the road! I couldn't begin to imagine what I'd done. Iirc this is why I failed. But I deserved to anyway - it wasn't a very good ride. A month later on the second go I rode LOADS better.

I honestly can't remember how good it felt now, but I must've been pretty chuffed. I already had a "big" bike, and had bought it months before - it was a CB500 on a P plate, really good nick. Iirc it only had 8k on it when I got it. I'll confess - I rode it before I'd passed, quite a few times. Only at night though. I live in back of beyond.

I was pretty shit for several years even though I rode a lot. I think when I'd got about 10k under me belt, I joined the IAM (as amazing as it was to ride without scrutiny, I kind of missed the feeling that I was learning, and getting decent advice and guidance - hence why I stumped up the £140 odd for the advanced course). I wanted to do it promptly before any bad habits set in, but I also didn't want to look like a total n00b either, hence me trying to get a chunk of seat-time done.

The season started and I rode over to Squires not really knowing what to expect. Firstly, a session called Theory 1 - laptop on big screen, featuring stills of local rides, and questions about speed, positioning, etc. Useful.

Pairs of us 'associates' as we're called then went out with one observer, 5-10 miles rural stuff and into local town for quick de-brief and banter. The other associate was a girl on a cbr600f who'd flipped it back in winter. She'd got the yips pretty bad and wanted to not suck any more. I found myself out in front wondering why she and the observer were being a bit geigh.

By the second weekend I'd been paired off with my own observer - a slaughterman on a tuono twin. Funny, jovial guy - but never shy of giving a bollocking. Over the next year or more we put in quite a few runs - I'd guess 20, may be. He never really said as much but I could tell he expected good, solid progress once into 60 limits. This I knew, because he would lead on the return leg and went like shit off the proverbial shiny shovel. Not illegal stuff as such, but just chucking it around on really technical roads that scared the sh1t out of me.

I used to try and make a note of every route we took, during the debrief. Typically, we'd go something like Squires, Sherburn, Lotherton Hall, Towton, Ryther, Ulleskelf, Cawood, Stillingfleet - I appreciate these names mean fvck all to ya, but some of that stuff is a right bloody handful when you don't know it. But trying to get a decent account of the routes we took meant two things: Firstly, I could practise these roads between observed rides. Secondly, I got to learn some of the most challenging and fun sections in the county.

For me, it was tough going - even though I did enjoy the craic a lot, and always felt like I was learning chunks of wisdom. I was still green AF. Worth doing though. Made some good mates actually.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:36 - 30 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
What's on the short list?

If I am going to buy new or used the lists are:

LIST FOR NEW BIKE ON PCP/ HP (MAX. £13,000 GBP):

2021 Yamaha MT-09,
2021 Yamaha MT-07,
2020 Suzuki Katana,
2021 Suzuki SV650,
2021 Suzuki V-STROM 650.

LIST FOR USED BIKE ON CASH SALE (MAX. £4,000 GBP):

Kawasaki ER6-F,
Kawasaki ER6-N,
Suzuki SV650,
Yamaha MT-07.

EDIT: I will pass on doing all that IAM stuff though. I am not built for all that hassle if I am totally honest.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:28 - 30 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn’t matter a fucking hoot now I passed!

CBT - 12/12/20
Theory - 17/12/20
MOD 1 - 14/06/21
MOD 2 - 29/07/21

Two minors: one for going over the give way line by half a wheel length and one for un-necessary indicating from moving off .

Lad Cool

Now then, can I still say I told you so? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:33 - 30 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIST FOR USED BIKE ON CASH SALE (MAX. £4,000 GBP):

Kawasaki ER6-F,
Kawasaki ER6-N,
Suzuki SV650,
Yamaha MT-07.

EDIT: I will pass on doing all that IAM stuff though. I am not built for all that hassle if I am totally honest.

Don't overlook the Honda CB650F - another good option.

Oh and as for IAM. You don't have to do IAM or ROSPA to get further training - I've had a couple of days with a good instructor and really benefitted from it. It wasn't expensive, stressful or irksome, in fact it was just a really good quality day out with another biker learning good stuff as we went along.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:40 - 30 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I had actually considered getting the school to see if they could do a further lesson with me when I get my big bike and add in the motorway travel side of things as obviously that doesn't get covered in DAS.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:50 - 30 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think why I tried it was because I ride a fair bit - between 15-20k a year, so I wanted to at least know how to be safe, even if I later chose to ride at full scrag from time to time.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:18 - 01 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think why I tried it was because I ride a fair bit - between 15-20k a year, so I wanted to at least know how to be safe, even if I later chose to ride at full scrag from time to time.

I would probably have given it more consideration if I had the time to go multiple sessions. Does it actually help with insurance or is that a load of bollocks they say to get people in the door?

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 01 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would probably have given it more consideration if I had the time to go multiple sessions. Does it actually help with insurance or is that a load of bollocks they say to get people in the door?

It does but it's also bollocks. Only a small number offer any meaningful concession, but they're starting from a higher quote anyway, so it all cancels through. That's my take anyway.

Best reasons to do it are 1). it definitely makes you plan, anticipate and make better obs. 2). you quickly discover the best roads within a 50 mile radius and more 3). you meet one or two people who are genuinely interesting and friendly.

It's also pretty good value as well.

If you go elsewhere looking for training - e.g. schools - ime they tend to focus on something called the Enhanced Rider Scheme. And invariably don't seem to want to actually provide it - they're often pushed as it is, and their CBT & DAS generate far more income iirc. Schools might offer one-off post-DAS stuff, but ime that wasn't really the case. Interested to hear others experience here.

Brava210
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:00 - 01 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brava210 wrote:
Well done.

Now get yourself a Scooter and an Airbag vest and you are good to go.

They will match my kawaii pink skirt and helmet mounted rain wiper nicely Embarassed

Never judge until you have tried it
Honda Novio, Puch Grand Prix, Suzuki AP50, CZ 125, Wassell 125, Montesa 348,Honda 125TDC, Suzuki 100ER, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Aprillia Pegaso, Honda PCX125, Honda Forza300, BMW G310 GS, Suzuki SFV650, Honda CB500X

CHARLEY SAYS " ALWAYS TELL YOUR MUMMY BEFORE YOU GO OFF SOMEWHERE"

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:03 - 01 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MY experience of that / them is that they suck all the fcuking fun out of riding.

If you want to have a brush up, do one of the Police ride aware training days.

Or go and do a proper track day course.

IAM is for bored ex Bank Managers on BMWs with shag all else to do.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:31 - 01 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats.

I'll add another vote for getting an hour or two with your usual instructor when you have a bit of time on your new bike under your belt. They know you, how you ride, you'll know something about your bike by then, so you should be able to learn. Mine will still ride round the outside of me on my VFR on an asthmatic ER5.

I still go and get the odd hour every year, mainly because I develop bad habits and probably don't notice them. I first passed in '95, so it's not just for noobs. I'm not really into IAM/ROSPA etc, seems like a lot of time money and effort when you can get a lot of help and value from what I currently do.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:02 - 03 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
I'm not really into IAM/ROSPA etc, seems like a lot of time money and effort when you can get a lot of help and value from what I currently do.

A lot of money?? It's a ton fifty for a more or less unlimited number of observed rides.

A lot of time? Well, it's as much time as you put in. Nobody's press-ganging anyone. Do a ride once a week, once a fortnight, once a month. Whatever. In any case, if I'm riding a bike all time is good time unless I'm getting cold and wet. The more time I'm on a bike, the happier I get.

A lot of effort? Okay - but again, you make as much effort as you feel like making. It's true that an observer would probably expect to see some positive development in an associate's riding from one ride to the next, after checking run-sheets and so on. But isn't that what an associate would want?

Look - I'm not a stout advocate of IAM or ROSPA. I've got loads of reservations about IPSGA, the motivations of observers, input by police, etc. etc. But the idea that the IAM course is expensive? Nah - soz. Not having that. I think you're betraying your ignorance on that score.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:55 - 04 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not having that. I think you're betraying your ignorance on that score.

I was given numbers *considerably* higher than that. As in north of £500 as a conservative estimate. The word unlimited was not mentioned at all. They emphasised it takes a lot of time and a lot of rides. To be fair, I don't think it was explicitly said, but it was certainly implied, that there was a non-trivial cost per ride.

So no, no ignorance displayed, I'm basing the numbers on what I was told (by someone that apparently observes the rides). How indicative his is of other riders/observers/whatever in other groups, areas I don't know. That's what I was told.

Hence the "lot of money". I'm not against training etc, as said, I go and get some most years, I know I have (and develop new) bad habits.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:58 - 04 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think IAM say £150 for the course, pretty sure that is any location. In addition a voluntary contribution to the observers expenses, typically a tenner per trip. So if you take 20 rides then £200 on top.

A typical rusty rider is around £120 but is usually just a 4 hour half day.

You pays your money you takes your choice I suppose.

Thumbs Up

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:03 - 04 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithy wrote:
I think IAM say £150 for the course, pretty sure that is any location. In addition a voluntary contribution to the observers expenses, typically a tenner per trip. So if you take 20 rides then £200 on top.

A typical rusty rider is around £120 but is usually just a 4 hour half day.

You pays your money you takes your choice I suppose.

Thumbs Up

How does it work, exactly, though?

Do you pick and choose when you go on the rides? What days do rides normally happen? How long do they last? How many do you need to do?

Sorry if these questions are dumb Embarassed

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:21 - 04 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on passing your test

Kinda mixed feelings on IAM etc
Any training etc and reveiwing your riding/driving habits is good no argument there
but I've met some of them who were too much up there own arses IMO
One guy in a club I was in seemed to have an overinflated belief in his riding skills and would at times do some very dodgy things that had the rest of us quite concerned.
We didn't like riding with him.

The fact is we're all only as good as our last ride
and a moments madness, over confidence or inattention can
turn it all our IAM ROSPA stickers to shit.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:10 - 04 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Not having that. I think you're betraying your ignorance on that score.

I was given numbers *considerably* higher than that. As in north of £500 as a conservative estimate. The word unlimited was not mentioned at all. They emphasised it takes a lot of time and a lot of rides. To be fair, I don't think it was explicitly said, but it was certainly implied, that there was a non-trivial cost per ride.

So no, no ignorance displayed, I'm basing the numbers on what I was told (by someone that apparently observes the rides). How indicative his is of other riders/observers/whatever in other groups, areas I don't know. That's what I was told.

The IAM course is £150 and no other charges can be made as this could affect the organisation's insurance. Accepting other payments from associates could position the observers as trainers and, or, instructors. This could increase the IAM's premium significantly - in the event of an observed ride going horribly wrong, an associate (or his/her family) could claim that they were "instructed" to take a course of action. This is partly why observers do not use headsets / radio links etc. They are volunteers, they offer advice and guidance - they don't train, and they don't instruct. It'll seem pedantic but that's what the insurers insist upon.

It's not too much of an exaggeration to say the most any observer can accept is a cuppa during the debrief.

The IAM course is "endless" in the sense that observers will observe as many rides as the associate requires (within reason). There are generally more observers than associates these days, so they're all only too glad to keep their observing skills sharp.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:10 - 04 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithy wrote:

No. See above.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:22 - 04 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incorrect. Coffee and 5 to 10 fir their 'fuel or however much you are comfortable with but some kind of payment is very actively encouraged.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:42 - 04 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
Incorrect. Coffee and 5 to 10 fir their 'fuel or however much you are comfortable with but some kind of payment is very actively encouraged.

I've never come across that in three organisations and best part of ten years, nor heard of it either. And this is Yorkshire ffs - if anyone would do that it'd be them.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:58 - 04 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The IAM course is £150 and no other charges can be made as this could affect the organisation's insurance.

Again, That's what I was told, and that's all I can go off. I'm not psychic, and until now I've had exactly zero reason to disbelieve what I was told.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 263 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3