Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

GPZ500S throttle cable replacement - cables sticking

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:59 - 28 Apr 2021    Post subject: GPZ500S throttle cable replacement - cables sticking Reply with quote

So I snapped the pull cable on my GPZ and went to replace it (new, genuine cable). On doing so I discovered the push cable was rusted through and had obviously been for some time, so replaced that too.

New cables were run alongside the old ones, so the routing should be correct, or at least the same as before. I connected the carb end first and I'm attempting to install them into the throttle housing on the handlebars.

I can install the pull cable alone and everything feels fine, but if I install both cables the throttle is sticky/slow to close when released. If I try pulling and releasing the pull cable with neither installed in the grip, they both run smoothly and snap back with the throttle spring.

I'm at a loss as to what is causing it, my guess is something binding in the throttle housing but nothing I can see.

Has anyone come across anything similar before?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:46 - 28 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you adjusted the free play?

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:27 - 29 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

No, but the cables don't seen tight when installing them (although they could be too slack I guess). Worth looking at, cheers!

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:50 - 01 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Finally dug this out again for another look after a few vehicles took priority. Removed the tank and slackened the cable ends on the carb and its MUCH better. The return cable was adjusted just tight enough that I could assemble everything on the bar and it would go together and bind.

Thanks a million for the pointer, I was tearing my hair out.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 239 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1