Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Kawasaki ER6-F (First big bike CONFIRMED)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:58 - 30 Jul 2021    Post subject: Kawasaki ER6-F (First big bike CONFIRMED) Reply with quote

Still in two minds on whether to get a big bike brand new on finance or buy a cheap second hand one outright in cash.

Any opinions on this bike?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-details/202107034592646

Last edited by Fat Angry Scotsman on 12:41 - 04 Aug 2021; edited 2 times in total

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:40 - 30 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty good to me. They're not exactly thrilling but they're solid and reliable, enough power to "learn" big-biking and sellable enough to move on at a later date. I had an ER5 and it was a solid bike, the ER6 is supposed to be better. Thumbs Up

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:48 - 30 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice and clean, but you'd want to knock 500 quid off - judging by ebay prices...

..but you do get a nice box to put your helmet in.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:16 - 30 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like them for numerous reasons but it's probaly a good starter bike. Price seems a bit much though you could get a very nice GSXR600 for that.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:48 - 30 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fireblade

/thread Laughing

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:07 - 30 Jul 2021    Post subject: Re: Kawasaki ER6-F (Possible first big bike) Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
Still in two minds on whether to get a big bike brand new on finance or buy a cheap second hand one outright in cash.

[url]https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-details/202107034592646?include-delivery-option=on&postcode=MyPostcode&price-to=3000&advertising-location=at_bikes&radius=60&sort=price-asc&page=4#modal-content[/url]

Careful posting links like this online. We now know where you live (or at least where you're going to be keeping the bike) Wink

Use the one without your search terms in instead: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-details/202107034592646

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:23 - 30 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

pm sent

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:52 - 30 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does look to be decent value. I'd want to hear how loud the exhaust is though, as that could be deafening. I'd also want to look under the fairing and see how much corrosion etc there is.

My other half has an ER6N of 2012 vintage, and it's rather nice. It's better built than the equivalent SV650 and it goes well, it corners nicely, the brakes are OK and it's very very comfortable. The only downside is it's a weighty thing, but for my other half that's not a bad thing. She's reasonably tall and relatively strong, and is now very used to it. She doesn't make full use of the rev range of the engine a lot of the time, so a fairly grunty twin is good for her. She's smooth, safe and confident on it, despite only having ridden for a short amount of time.

It's not got that zing that something like my Street Triple has, but it's a good solid bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:57 - 30 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
That does look to be decent value. I'd want to hear how loud the exhaust is though, as that could be deafening. I'd also want to look under the fairing and see how much corrosion etc there is.

My other half has an ER6N of 2012 vintage, and it's rather nice. It's better built than the equivalent SV650 and it goes well, it corners nicely, the brakes are OK and it's very very comfortable. The only downside is it's a weighty thing, but for my other half that's not a bad thing. She's reasonably tall and relatively strong, and is now very used to it. She doesn't make full use of the rev range of the engine a lot of the time, so a fairly grunty twin is good for her. She's smooth, safe and confident on it, despite only having ridden for a short amount of time.

It's not got that zing that something like my Street Triple has, but it's a good solid bike.

I just went to the showroom and it's pretty loud. The latest MOT has an advisory note that simply said "Loud exhaust" but it still passed it's MOT. The only other advisory was that the handle bar is slightly bent but not excessively or words to those effect. When I got on the thing I never even noticed and only knew because it said it on the MOT.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:17 - 30 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I'd also want to look under the fairing and see how much corrosion etc there is.

The dealer is Victor Devine so that's not rust, it's flux. Razz

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:31 - 30 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if it sheds any like on the bike in particular but here is the MOT history:

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/?_ga=2.95752596.941941382.1627651781-777682944.1627651781

EDIT: Sorry didn't realise the GOV UK links work one time only.

Last edited by Fat Angry Scotsman on 15:36 - 14 Nov 2021; edited 1 time in total

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 30 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd bet even with the cost of getting it collected and delivered you could get this one for a similar price in total. 5 years newer and under 1/3rd the miles. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294288301995?hash=item4484f31fab:g:mCgAAOSwPWhg-CaR

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:45 - 30 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid £3.5k for a ‘64 with 8,700 on it, so it’s a little pricey but you probably have limited options. No point in saving £200 if you have to travel to Birmingham or similar to get it.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:50 - 30 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
I'd bet even with the cost of getting it collected and delivered you could get this one for a similar price in total. 5 years newer and under 1/3rd the miles. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294288301995?hash=item4484f31fab:g:mCgAAOSwPWhg-CaR

In theory great advice and I think that model is absolutely better looking too but I am loathe to buying something sight-unseen. Considering everything though. Embarassed

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:09 - 30 Jul 2021    Post subject: Re: Kawasaki ER6-F (Possible first big bike) Reply with quote

The exhaust pipe burst out the box. There was a recall on them. Not sure if still an issue.
I reckon it was due to the viby twin cyl. causing early fatigue at a poorly supported area.
Makes the exhaust loud and difficult to see as it's behind the fairing and under the engine.

Brakes are shite.
Different pads helps but standard they are a worry when making good progress.
Unless I was accustomed to riding bikes with Bette than average braking.

Very comfy bike so can be taken faaaar and wide and lots of toys to fuk with on the dash.
If it hasn't got, then a first mod is to fit a gear indicator.
Plugs into a lead under the seat. LED display mounts near the dash.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 30 Jul 2021    Post subject: Re: Kawasaki ER6-F (Possible first big bike) Reply with quote

If you can buy cash, I wouldn't be looking at bikes in dealers. I'd expect to be paying about 2k for a bike like this from a private seller. With not much more than 10k on the clocks. E.g.:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353591512146?hash=item5253b24c52:g:o0oAAOSwGGNguogH

The only reason to buy from dealers is if you need finance. Ok, fine. But £2k isn't THAT much in the grand scheme of things. The other reason is some sort of warranty - but you'd have to be very unlucky to buy a Japanese bike with around 10K on it that's going to need anything in the way of serious work doing. So for me a warranty is kind of a con.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:26 - 01 Aug 2021    Post subject: Re: Kawasaki ER6-F (Possible first big bike) Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
If you can buy cash, I wouldn't be looking at bikes in dealers. I'd expect to be paying about 2k for a bike like this from a private seller. With not much more than 10k on the clocks. E.g.:

The only reason to buy from dealers is if you need finance. Ok, fine. But £2k isn't THAT much in the grand scheme of things. The other reason is some sort of warranty - but you'd have to be very unlucky to buy a Japanese bike with around 10K on it that's going to need anything in the way of serious work doing. So for me a warranty is kind of a con.

I have already worked out a credit facility with my Credit Union for £11,000.00 over 36 months at 3.9% APR. On top of that I have £2,000.00 in cash already which can increase to £4,500.00 in cash at the end of the month because of my summer bonus payment.

I can put a bike on my credit card temporarily up to £4,000.00 and then clear it at the end of the month (with the aforementioned cash).

I am desperate to get a big bike but I want to try and take a little time and weight up the options. I am still in two minds what to do, as much as I want to waddle my ass over to a Yamaha dealer and get a brand new MT-09, I am also conscious of the cost of dropping the thing and that's why I am exploring cheap second hand bikes.

Decisions, decisions. Crying or Very sad

I did like that ER6-F when I went to see it though, my only niggle that the pegs are about an inch too high for my comfort but I reckon an aftermarket adjustable rear-set would solve that.

Where's A100man? He's had the "I told you so" hanging over me the entire time Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:01 - 01 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get 12 photos included with an ebay vehicle auction. I'm always suspicious when people don't use them all.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:42 - 01 Aug 2021    Post subject: Re: Kawasaki ER6-F (Possible first big bike) Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

I have already worked out a credit facility with my Credit Union for £11,000.00 over 36 months at 3.9% APR. On top of that I have £2,000.00 in cash already which can increase to £4,500.00 in cash at the end of the month because of my summer bonus payment.

I can put a bike on my credit card temporarily up to £4,000.00 and then clear it at the end of the month (with the aforementioned cash).

I am desperate to get a big bike but I want to try and take a little time and weight up the options. I am still in two minds what to do, as much as I want to waddle my ass over to a Yamaha dealer and get a brand new MT-09, I am also conscious of the cost of dropping the thing and that's why I am exploring cheap second hand bikes.

Decisions, decisions. Crying or Very sad

Soz not following this - are these reasons for buying from a dealer or not?

I'm absolutely all for taking a little time - in fact, a lot of time. But for me the reason to take time would be to wait for a bike to come up within 30 miles offered by a private seller that I could schlep out to tyre kick. I'd be looking for ER6s, SV650s, Gladius, Hornets, CB500s, possibly even Bandit 6s.10-15k on them, £1750 price region. Put 5k on one of these to properly get your big bike eye in, punt it on for similar money, get the bike you feel a bit of lust for. Sh1t like that.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:43 - 01 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to throw a penny in the pot ....

if you get t he relevant protectors fitted, depending on the drop etc ... no reason dropping a new bike should be any worse than dropping an old one from a damage point of view.

That said, i ran an old CB500 for a couple of years and had no complaints whatsoever. It came pre-dropped and the couple of times i dropped it added no more visible damage. Sold it for what I paid for it.

ATEOD buy what you will enjoy and can afford.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:08 - 01 Aug 2021    Post subject: Re: Kawasaki ER6-F (Possible first big bike) Reply with quote

[quote="trevor saxe-coburg”]Soz not following this - are these reasons for buying from a dealer or not?

I'm absolutely all for taking a little time - in fact, a lot of time. But for me the reason to take time would be to wait for a bike to come up within 30 miles offered by a private seller that I could schlep out to tyre kick. I'd be looking for ER6s, SV650s, Gladius, Hornets, CB500s, possibly even Bandit 6s.10-15k on them, £1750 price region. Put 5k on one of these to properly get your big bike eye in, punt it on for similar money, get the bike you feel a bit of lust for. Sh1t like that.[

Sorry I should have made it more clear. The reason I was using a dealer is because in a non-finance deal I am hard-capped to a budget of £4,500 (and it would initially be on a credit card) so I can’t do a literal cash in hand private sale until I get paid at the end of the month. I am impatient so might not be able to hold out a month.

Using finance I have a loan from my credit union available with £2000 from me additionally if needed.

At present if I want to buy anything over £2000 I need to use a dealer unless a private seller somehow can accept a credit card.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:49 - 01 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a first "big bike" (although these days a 650 barely counts as middleweight) I'd go for something cheap and convenient to source. Rag it for a year and then get the bike you really want Smile

There's also something to be said for pre-loved bikes. I got my Rebel factory fresh and always felt a bit guilty if it got dirty, I'd certainly be horrified if I scuffed it let alone dropped it. But the XSR... any marks you may notice were there when I got it! Like a nice pair of shoes someone else has broken in Very Happy

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 01 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sensibly bought 2k-ish bike now and ragged for 6 months to a year isn't a bad way of learning. Don't fuck it up too much and its worth 2k when you sell it.

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 01 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first big bike was a Bandit 650 was cosmetically poor with corrosion to the wheels, scrapes on the upper fairing,25k miles and 10 year old.
Engine was sweet as, kept it for 6 months then bought a Brand new Ninja 650. I only lost £100 on the bandit using it as part ex.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:08 - 01 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can you only use a credit card? If I am honest, I would have a good think about what this stuff is really worth, if you have to fuck around with a credit card, loans or sorting out finance... its just not worth it. A older 1.5k 600/650 is more than enough for a first larger bike, its all going to feel like a rocket ship and you will probably want to change in a year or two to something else.

Have a good think about if it gets stolen too, is stretching hard to pay for something gucci going to put you in a hard spot?

Also have a really good read of any 3 month or so warranty a dealer is offering, they make it sound like its a huge safety net but most of the time they will be able to get out of it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 261 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5