Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New leather jacket need cleaning?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

flimbar
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:15 - 01 Aug 2021    Post subject: New leather jacket need cleaning? Reply with quote

Just bought a leather jacket from J&S.
The guy recommended cleaning it straight away as "they have a special coating applied for transport" and you should clean this coating off as it will help break the jacket in and then apply leather reproofing.

Any truth in this or just upselling Nickwax cleaner and reproofer?

Thanks

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:29 - 01 Aug 2021    Post subject: Re: New leather jacket need cleaning? Reply with quote

Sounds like nonsense to me. What eventuality could they be protecting the jacket from in-transit that it won’t experience in normal use?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:29 - 01 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting something like leidergreis on will make the leather more supple and help it break in more quickly in the same way it does with boots.

I've never "cleaned" a motorcycle leather.

In my experience, a leather jacket is never properly broken in until you've been totally soaked through then kept it on until dry again.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:33 - 02 Aug 2021    Post subject: Re: New leather jacket need cleaning? Reply with quote

flimbar wrote:
Just bought a leather jacket from J&S.
The guy recommended cleaning it straight away as "they have a special coating applied for transport" and you should clean this coating off as it will help break the jacket in and then apply leather reproofing.

Any truth in this or just upselling Nickwax cleaner and reproofer?

Thanks

Yeah, leather comes with stuff soaked into it.

They're called Leather Tanning Compounds and the layman is best not phuque-ing with them.

They probably added leather conditioners to make the hide more supple and probably a water resistant compound.

Only phuque with it if you really need to maybe after a years road use.
Traffic film can hurt the hide so cleaning using appropriate chemicals will help remove s4it then reapply conditioners and possibly a water repellent.
Nikwax is your goto.

The layperson can't really wash a leather garment.

Leather was living tissue and can degrade as easily as a bacon sandwich if not treated properly.

For sure buy your stuff from J&S but beware of the worker's old wife's tales, osteopathic remedies, homeopathic cures and their general Hoccus-Poccus.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:35 - 02 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I clean my jacket with soapy water and a damp sponge occasionally to remove teh flies an d road dire. Then I occasionally 'feed' it with one of those 'preparations' made from Carnuba wax, bees wax, axle grease or what have you.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:47 - 02 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive got a bike jacket in the cupboard thats about 25 years old. have only ever wiped it down with a soapy sponge to clean it. still looks as good as new. worn in all weathers too.
its just a shame that it doesnt fit me any more Neutral
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:59 - 02 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above. Don't try to clean a new leather jacket it doesn't need it.

If you have a truly dirty jacket or other leather item you need to clean then careful use of saddle soap is the way to go, followed by a good quality leather feed/wax.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:55 - 02 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been known to use baby wipes to clean dead bugs off of all types of jacket including my waxed cotton one.

Blueberry
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:25 - 10 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The leather gurus at Hideout advise using a clean cloth and warm water for dirty clobber, followed by hide food containing lanolin. (Unlike many leather foods, it doesn't clog the leather's pores.)

However, I can't imagine why you'd need to do anything to new leathers - it sounds like rubbish advice.

MCN wrote:

The layperson can't really wash a leather garment.

Leather was living tissue and can degrade as easily as a bacon sandwich if not treated properly.

It's excellent advice, and you can't really see or feel the degradation. So, I highly recommend Scrubbers Leathers to wash and rejuvenate leathers professionally, so they retain their crashworthiness for years Thumbs Up

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:38 - 11 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I've been known to use baby wipes to clean dead bugs off of all types of jacket including my waxed cotton one.

Johnson's Baby Wipes wiped the contents of a burst pigeon off the front of my leathers.

What a mess it made.

I said before, I think a farmer saw me flying up the hill and threw the hoowur over the hedge as I went past.

Dander and shite was everywhere.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 230 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1