Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What have you done to your bike today?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:39 - 25 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should review your chain maintenance regime because it looks like it hasn't been greased since the last millenium.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Blah blah
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:09 - 25 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed the 748 head light bulb, it involved...

Remove mirrors
Remove front indicators
Remove lower fairing (dzus fasteners so fairly easy)
Undo 2 bolts and remove top fairing
Remove headlight adjuster bolt, then go hunting for the spring that dropped off.
Slide both head lights out and prop them somewhere
Pop the bulb cover off the back of the low beam side and take out old bulb
Drop the new bulb I've just bought, buy another bulb
Remember to feed the wire through the cover, check it works (it does!) and put the cover back on
Slide headlights back in, swear when the bulb now doesn't work so take the headlights out again and refix the earth
Put headlights back in and everything else back on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:27 - 25 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blah blah wrote:

The odd time my head gets the notion I should go buy a 916... Even before my back tells me to feck off and stop thinking about that, I remember watching a friend of a friend changing the belts on one.

Nope.
https://i.imgur.com/tJi7Gmg.mp4

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:52 - 25 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blah blah wrote:

Remove mirrors
Remove front indicators
Remove lower fairing (dzus fasteners so fairly easy)
Undo 2 bolts and remove top fairing
Remove headlight adjuster bolt, then go hunting for the spring that dropped off.
Slide both head lights out and prop them somewhere
Pop the bulb cover off the back of the low beam side and take out old bulb
Drop the new bulb I've just bought, buy another bulb
Remember to feed the wire through the cover, check it works (it does!) and put the cover back on
Slide headlights back in, swear when the bulb now doesn't work so take the headlights out again and refix the earth
Put headlights back in and everything else back on.

*laughs in Hayabusa*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:30 - 25 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to close the shed door in the back garden, in some misguided stable-door/horse-bolted kind of way, to protect what remains of the Super Tenere.

It seems that the senior consort asking me "What are you going to do today, then?" has a sort of gentle motivational force upon my conscience: if a 71-year-old man with a gammy knee can do medium-to-heavy gardening things, including growing vegetables, farting around with power tools in sheds, building waterfalls, etc., then what the fuck am I doing sitting on my fat arse indoors?

Anyway, it turns out, a back wheel* has been jamming the door open, which is why I couldn't close it before - but I hadn't been brave enough to stick my head into the shed to investigate before now (because spiders/hair). But I was heavily protected against garden greeblies, so I shoved my shoulders into the shed, moved an old half a sofa cushion, heaved the wheel up on top of the sofa cushion and with a little effort, wiggled the doors closed.

Shortly after that, it pissed down cats & dogs, thunderbolts & lightning, galileo/figaro, etc ... so I scarpered indoors feeling a little more valid.

*even in my complete ignorance, I can tell it's a back wheel because it has a sprocket, an extremely rusted sprocket, in the middle of it. I'm considering bringing it indoors and seeing how much of it I can un-rust.
But that will require considerably more organised-ness inside planet hellkat. Rolling Eyes

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:51 - 26 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted some sintered pads and flushed and bled the front brake circuit on the VFR800. Still feels squidgy at a standstill (I think due to the weird linked brakes setup), but works much better on the move.

Also fitted some 20mm risers, no real hassle, no noticeable stress on the various dangly bits, doesn't foul the fairings, and makes a small positive improvement to the riding position. Thumbs Up

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:49 - 26 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the CBR out to clear some cobwebs, it's been a bit hard of starting lately. Big mistake.

Got about 8 miles from home and it conked out. I knew it was fuel starvation so lifted the tank at the roadside to check for kinky hose. It wasn't that, the fuel pump points are shot. I had to prod them with a screwdriver to get it to fill the carb bowls, ride half a mile then repeat the process. Still faster than waiting for recovery.

Dumped it in the garage and got the KTM out, only to be nearly killed on the way home by some wazzock in an SUV doing a u-turn on a blind bend, this is on an NSL road over double white lines. Twat.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:47 - 26 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

So on the new/old C90; fitted a genuine headlight bulb (rather than the "upgraded" one a previous owner fitted which has more watts but a hopeless beam pattern), changed the oil, fitted a +1T front sprocket for slightly less revs, fitted an iridium spark plug and cleaned/lubed the chain. That schedule will be an awful lot more time consuming on the viffer, but was under 2 hour's work on the C90. Very Happy

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:58 - 26 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felt a bit hot to ride it this morning so thought ah fvck it, let's give it a clean. I'm not much of soapy water sort, preferring oil rag, clean rag w/ wd40, etc. But decided to de-fly the faring and front screen, so sponge came out. Then the furniture polish. Next I set about getting the wheels, swing arm and rear linkage / spring de-grotted. A lot of old fling on the back wheel so that had to go - fished a pair of the wife's knickers out of the bin for that job. Handy! Waste not want not innit bruv. The wheels on this bastard are knackered now - got to see about some powder coating - but worried the old green paint will be hard to match. So am thinking metallic purple wheels might look suitably disgusting - trying to avoid going with black - too tasteful. Gold is a possibility - but blingy. Oiled chain, and tensioned it. Went out on it this evening when it was cooler. Much better idea.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:26 - 26 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heat seizing symptoms. Major panic stations. Discovered my last full up had introduced grit, and blocked my pilot. Confused, checked oil level several times. Kept surging and cutting out. Tightened up a few things to eliminate vacuum leaks, and discovered they were quite loose ... Brief run around the block and it seems to be back to normal. Proper test ride tomorrow.

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:50 - 26 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
You should review your chain maintenance regime because it looks like it hasn't been greased since the last millenium.

WHAT!! I only did it last year.... always do it on the MOT aniversary Laughing

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:42 - 30 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACF50 / snake oil time on the C90. Fairings and seat off, tyres and control points wrapped in plastic then the whole thing drenched in the stuff. Wiped down with a MF cloth afterwards. The bike isn't intending to be ridden in rubbish weather, but you can't always plan these things and they're not exactly known for longevity when they get wet. Going into the garage this morning the smell of ACF50 was heavenly. Wub

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:57 - 30 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorted the points on the fuel pump, properly lined the fuel hose up so the bend doesn't kink too.

Cable tied a spacer to the centre stand to stop it returning too far and touching the chain.

Then added a washer between the rear shock mount and frame to increase ride height and make it steer a bit sharper. Not had chance to test it yet though.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 31 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered a new cone type crush gasket for the exhaust. Existing one is properly fucked.
Re-routed wiring for fan switch - it was catching, MOT man would not like that, deaf though he is with cans.
Washed it and lubed chain.

Still waiting on Valves for the 125. Should be this week.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:27 - 31 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted a Givi Monorack.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Simon13245
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:07 - 31 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed an original indicator set for the rear. They look much better now Smile

I would like to replace the front ones as well, but they are hard to find.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:27 - 31 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took it to the local shop and talked to them about the clutch.

So a nice chap rode it round the block and returned to tell me, yeah its slipping quite badly, they are going to call me on Monday about bringing it in, and another nice chap measured it for a clutch cable.

I also mentioned the dodgy sidestand and they said they would look at the spring. I may have to remind them again once I take it back on (hopefully Tuesday)

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:34 - 03 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

New cone crush gasket for the Viffer.
https://i.imgur.com/dSwkMAhl.jpg
EN125 valves arrived for the 125. Duly ground to the seats, and installed with new oil seals.
https://i.imgur.com/iNgUhxHl.jpg
Comparison with old one.
https://i.imgur.com/x7HkGq6l.jpg
I've got a 150 "big bore" kit lying around, so it would be rude not to install it while I had it apart.
https://i.imgur.com/FYYQDF8l.jpg
Got barrel on, and gave up when camchain got locked up. Probably need to pull the barrel again, which is a PITA getting the piston in without a piston ring compressor. Oh well.
https://i.imgur.com/W55TRl8l.jpg

Blah blah
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:13 - 03 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed the brake light bulbs as 1 wasn't working on the 748, the red painted normal ones were replaced with proper bright red LEDs ones (clear lens). It was much easier than the front ones, pop the seat up, remove 2 screws and swap the bulbs, job done.

My legal sized number plate also turned up today so I fitted that as well.

I just need it to be sunny and dry for a bit so I can take the thing out, I've had it 2 weeks already and haven't been out on it yet...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 07 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set the front and rear suspension back to factory settings ahead of tweaking it to what i prefer. Whatever it had been set to was definitely NOT factory and the adjusters on the front forks were not equally set either side. I counted the turns back to zero and they were different each side Very Happy

Next thing to measure is static sag / rider sag and go from there.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:14 - 07 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonnie failed the MoT. Rear brake pads worn, oh really?

https://i.imgur.com/0V78pa9.jpg?1

Ah. Okay, I'll give you that one!

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:15 - 07 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

why didnt you check the obvious things before the test?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:42 - 07 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

why didnt you check the obvious things before the test?

It's my father-in-law's bike, if he'd mentioned it I would have offered to check it over. Then again I do have to work for a living Smile There's a few other bits that need doing on it but I'll get to that when the parts turn up.

They seem like straightforward bikes to work on, the modern Triumphs, I don't know how they compare to the old ones?

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:38 - 08 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bike but lid.

Shoei NXR - noisy as fiuck around the ears with the vents open.

Covered all the perforations in the plastics and cut a layer of felt to cover the ear recess over the speakers. Also filled the holes where the chin strap comes out with felt.

Basically anything that allowed air to whistle through is covered.

I've left all the proper inner vent holes open so still plenty of airflow but hopefully that's going to make things pleasant

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:19 - 08 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

After chasing my tail last week doubting my own work setting up the carb on my project bike, and trying to find the source of a running problem, I finally got around to testing my electrics. Discovered the condenser had failed, and had taken the points along with it. Replaced condenser and points as a set, and all is well, and works perfectly again. Now I know what bad points look like.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 259 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 4 of 48