Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Scotland trip report:- Hairless bikers on tour Part 1

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:16 - 10 Jul 2021    Post subject: Scotland trip report:- Hairless bikers on tour Part 1 Reply with quote

Just got back from a trip up to Scotland, here's what went on -

4 old blokes on bikes, me - Triumph Tiger 800 xrx, others - Tiger 900 rallye pro, Yam tracer 900, Honda africa twin, up to Scotland Monday to Friday staying in a B&B in Dunoon, on the Argyle and Bute peninsula to do some exploring.
Monday - The trip up. We meet at the local petrol station where we live in East Yorks at 9am. Must say we all look like seasoned tourers (1 of us is). Got the Triumph (Givi) aluminium panniers and topbox on my bike packed with civvy togs in right pannier, mesh jacket kevlar jeans summer gloves bottle of whiskey in the left side, locks puncture repair kit and pump in the topbox along with water and nibbles.
Kit wise I'm wearing Halvarsons Jacket and pants, Rukka lobster gloves, Alpinestars short boots and Shoei Neotec 2 lid. Rain is expected.
Off we go then, gone about 2 miles and it pisses it down, thankfully only lasting 10 minutes. First leg is out to the A1 and up to Scotch Corner, boring I know but its a concession to S who wanted to do the whole route on motorways. The bike feels good on the A1, first time I've ridden it fully loaded, nice and stable. The Givi airflow screen is good allowing me to ride with the visor up if I want to. Cruise control set at 75 and before you know it we're having a bacon butty in the layby at the start of the A66.
Next leg is Barnard Castle to Brampton via Middleton on tees and Alston. A short blast up the 66 gets us to Barnard Castle, a lovely looking place. Much merriment is raised pointing at specsavers and making glasses faces riding no handed. This leg is ridden in a 'spirited' fashion, even keeping loosely to the speed limit, its that kind of road, Traffic is quiet, the sun's come out. I notice I need considerably more effort braking with the extra weight but soon get used to it. The pilot 5 adventures are superb, get the pegs down a few times. Wave at the obligatory cash cow speed camera van as we pass it and before long we are in Brampton stopping for a stretch and fuel for the bikes and us.
After a cuppa and a pie the next leg is ready to be run. This leg is Brampton to Dumfries via Gretna, then a blast up the A76 to Ayr to pick up the A78 coast road up to Gouroch. Crossing into Scotland one of the first things you notice is how good the road surface is compared to England. Roads repaired properly, no big f off potholes, whats going on. Part of this leg takes in the Mennoch Pass an excellent road to be highly recommended and a welcome diversion from the A76. The 76 isnt a bad road, its decent tbh with plenty of sweeping z bends and good forward vision to let you 'cut the line'. We are soon on the coast road passing through several seaside towns. Its now quite warm and the liner is taken out of the jacket during a brief sojourn in one of said towns. I observe Scottish people are very white indicating it probably rains a lot up here, hope that isnt going to be the case I muse to myself. Its also here that a rather well built young lady promps a rate her tits game that continues during the trip ending with a 10 in Oban that ends it, however thats for later. The ride up the coast is very pleasant with nice views, a precursor of the scenery to come. As with most places there are some impressive new houses that have been built overlooking the sea since my last trip up here, money is still about for some. We eventually arrive in Gouroch at the ferry port to cross to Dunoon. The ferries are every 30 minutes, roll on roll off platforms with an engine. We duly roll on and pay the ticket man £10.70 for a return ticket. The crossing takes 20 minutes across a thankfully flat calm Clyde. 3 dolphins cross the wake of the ferry and an added bonus is the ferry has a bog because I've been touching cloth for the last 50 miles thinking I'd make it to the digs. Anyway, we roll off the other end of the ferry, hang a left down the prom in Dunoon and a couple of miles later are pulling into the hotel car park and discarding gear like mad as its bloody hot now. As you may have discerned from the title, 3 of us are follically challenged old duffers, the other is really proud of his locks, git. Anyway D gets it first, batting away at his sweaty pate, the dreaded midges start their 4 day assault.
Jackie, the very friendly owner welcomes us and after a short tour and covid rules briefing we are unloading the bikes, getting settled in and changing into civvies. I'm sharing a billet with S and we are up 2 and a bit flights of stairs. I somewhat ruefully think to myself this is going to be good exercise for my knee replacement leg.
Yey, out on the piss. A few pints, a nasty in a good way kebab and back to the digs to sink a couple of double malts and we are all knackered and ready for bed. The earplugs go back in (S snores like a walrus) and I'm asleep in seconds. The adventure continues tomorrow!

Miles covered 302. MPG 64.5

Part 2 to follow if there is any interest.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:00 - 11 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much were the B&Bs ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:20 - 11 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics or it didn’t happen Hand

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:25 - 11 Jul 2021    Post subject: Re: Scotland trip report:- Hairless bikers on tour Part 1 Reply with quote

Sorry, even without dyslexia I really struggled to read that. I've added some carriage returns.

Old Git Racing wrote:
Just got back from a trip up to Scotland, here's what went on -

4 old blokes on bikes, me - Triumph Tiger 800 xrx, others - Tiger 900 rallye pro, Yam tracer 900, Honda africa twin, up to Scotland Monday to Friday staying in a B&B in Dunoon, on the Argyle and Bute peninsula to do some exploring.
Monday - The trip up. We meet at the local petrol station where we live in East Yorks at 9am. Must say we all look like seasoned tourers (1 of us is). Got the Triumph (Givi) aluminium panniers and topbox on my bike packed with civvy togs in right pannier, mesh jacket kevlar jeans summer gloves bottle of whiskey in the left side, locks puncture repair kit and pump in the topbox along with water and nibbles.

Kit wise I'm wearing Halvarsons Jacket and pants, Rukka lobster gloves, Alpinestars short boots and Shoei Neotec 2 lid. Rain is expected.

Off we go then, gone about 2 miles and it pisses it down, thankfully only lasting 10 minutes. First leg is out to the A1 and up to Scotch Corner, boring I know but its a concession to S who wanted to do the whole route on motorways. The bike feels good on the A1, first time I've ridden it fully loaded, nice and stable. The Givi airflow screen is good allowing me to ride with the visor up if I want to. Cruise control set at 75 and before you know it we're having a bacon butty in the layby at the start of the A66.

Next leg is Barnard Castle to Brampton via Middleton on tees and Alston. A short blast up the 66 gets us to Barnard Castle, a lovely looking place. Much merriment is raised pointing at specsavers and making glasses faces riding no handed. This leg is ridden in a 'spirited' fashion, even keeping loosely to the speed limit, its that kind of road, Traffic is quiet, the sun's come out. I notice I need considerably more effort braking with the extra weight but soon get used to it. The pilot 5 adventures are superb, get the pegs down a few times. Wave at the obligatory cash cow speed camera van as we pass it and before long we are in Brampton stopping for a stretch and fuel for the bikes and us.

After a cuppa and a pie the next leg is ready to be run. This leg is Brampton to Dumfries via Gretna, then a blast up the A76 to Ayr to pick up the A78 coast road up to Gouroch. Crossing into Scotland one of the first things you notice is how good the road surface is compared to England. Roads repaired properly, no big f off potholes, whats going on. Part of this leg takes in the Mennoch Pass an excellent road to be highly recommended and a welcome diversion from the A76. The 76 isnt a bad road, its decent tbh with plenty of sweeping z bends and good forward vision to let you 'cut the line'.

We are soon on the coast road passing through several seaside towns. Its now quite warm and the liner is taken out of the jacket during a brief sojourn in one of said towns. I observe Scottish people are very white indicating it probably rains a lot up here, hope that isnt going to be the case I muse to myself. Its also here that a rather well built young lady promps a rate her tits game that continues during the trip ending with a 10 in Oban that ends it, however thats for later.

The ride up the coast is very pleasant with nice views, a precursor of the scenery to come. As with most places there are some impressive new houses that have been built overlooking the sea since my last trip up here, money is still about for some. We eventually arrive in Gouroch at the ferry port to cross to Dunoon. The ferries are every 30 minutes, roll on roll off platforms with an engine. We duly roll on and pay the ticket man £10.70 for a return ticket. The crossing takes 20 minutes across a thankfully flat calm Clyde. 3 dolphins cross the wake of the ferry and an added bonus is the ferry has a bog because I've been touching cloth for the last 50 miles thinking I'd make it to the digs. Anyway, we roll off the other end of the ferry, hang a left down the prom in Dunoon and a couple of miles later are pulling into the hotel car park and discarding gear like mad as its bloody hot now.

As you may have discerned from the title, 3 of us are follically challenged old duffers, the other is really proud of his locks, git. Anyway D gets it first, batting away at his sweaty pate, the dreaded midges start their 4 day assault.

Jackie, the very friendly owner welcomes us and after a short tour and covid rules briefing we are unloading the bikes, getting settled in and changing into civvies. I'm sharing a billet with S and we are up 2 and a bit flights of stairs. I somewhat ruefully think to myself this is going to be good exercise for my knee replacement leg.

Yey, out on the piss. A few pints, a nasty in a good way kebab and back to the digs to sink a couple of double malts and we are all knackered and ready for bed. The earplugs go back in (S snores like a walrus) and I'm asleep in seconds. The adventure continues tomorrow!

Miles covered 302. MPG 64.5

Part 2 to follow if there is any interest.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 24 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit random but did you ever use LFS? I'm sure there was an Old Gits Racing team, but never mind that's not important.

Your trip must have been a great experience. I live up here close to the borders. We're lucky to have some good roads to ride. Many a road with scary blind corners with decreasing radius and off camber to keep you on your toes, should you get a bit brisky. They were devilish when they made these old roads.

Happy riding. I like to know about peoples adventures, cheers!

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 11 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened to part 2..? and beyond??

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 230 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1