Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Buying from Europe now

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:59 - 26 Aug 2021    Post subject: Buying from Europe now Reply with quote

So... I buy a helmet or whatever from Germany it's an Ebay seller with modest turnover..
The value is about €130 so well under the £135 at which import charges kick in.
But the seller has added German VAT at 20% taking it above £135.
Ebay calculate what they should put on the package to declare value at customs, and it just shows the full amount paid - including German VAT. They give them a printable label to simplify for the seller

UK customs then calculate Import VAT on the full amount including the German VAT so even worse than VAT twice!

I'm disputing this it can't be right surely, but have paid for now as you have to do then reclaim.
I don't suppose parcel force fee for dealing with (incorrect) import charge will be refunded Laughing

More worrying is that ebay at least still haven't got a correct system for declaring an item value.
Knowing what might happen the seller could be asked to clearly show the item value before their local tax.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:02 - 26 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

What should happen is you buy the item at export price i.e. without local taxes applied and then eBay collect the UK VAT automatically for HMRC. Hmmm... but I think that's for low value items (£135/€150)

According to eBay if you've paid VAT twice (or more!) as in ze Germans have paid the UK VAT for you as a VAT registered company, eBay have paid it for you and/or you've had VAT applied at import then you'd need to prove to eBay VAT has definitely been paid by someone else and they'd refund you.

This may help:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/listings/default/vat-obligations-eu?id=4650

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 26 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought about going to J&S or Sportsbike shop and trying one and buying it? Mind you if you're spending £130 on a lid you dont value your head anyway so crack on

OGR

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:02 - 26 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's so annoying you'll buy stuff from UK businesses instead and your and their tax money will stay in the country?

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:13 - 27 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Maybe it's so annoying you'll buy stuff from UK businesses instead and your and their tax money will stay in the country?

So you don't ever buy anything from outside the UK Laughing
The changes since Brexit aren't supposed to be there to make it more costly and difficult, this is the first thing I tried this year, but have previously bought items from Germany with no problems in fact they typically arrive quicker than from UK online sellers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:15 - 27 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Git Racing wrote:
Thought about going to J&S or Sportsbike shop and trying one and buying it? Mind you if you're spending £130 on a lid you dont value your head anyway so crack on

OGR

I've never spent more than that and head is still Ok after 45 years riding thanks
[checks for bumps]
Stores with helmets you can try on, what a revolutionary concept there may be one in Newcastle 50 miles away.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:29 - 27 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I have noticed post Brexit is that delivery charges have gone stupid, mind you they are from the stolen bike parts of Lithuania.

Parts will be £25 but, the postage will be £35.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:14 - 27 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:

So you don't ever buy anything from outside the UK Laughing

Rarely. Usually only stuff I can't get in the UK like enfield parts from India.[/quote]

Quote:
The changes since Brexit aren't supposed to be there to make it more costly and difficult,

No. I think that's exactly what they are for. As a punishment for daring to leave the EU. They could easily have agreed to a much more streamlined system but chose not to. It's what the UK wanted but the EU were adamant they couldn't have. It was pretty straightforwards back in the 90's before the customs union existed.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:19 - 27 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A more streamlined system like, for example, a common market where we all played by the same rules where trade was concerned?

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:12 - 27 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
A more streamlined system like, for example, a common market where we all played by the same rules where trade was concerned?

In my example that's what should still have happened if authority figures hadn't goofed up.
Under £135 there are no import charges so far as I know.
But as alluded above the free trade area is quite recent it didn't start with the Common Market in the 70s.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:33 - 27 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

In my example that's what should still have happened if authority figures hadn't goofed up.
Under £135 there are no import charges so far as I know.
But as alluded above the free trade area is quite recent it didn't start with the Common Market in the 70s.

There isn't duty on nything (pretty much) Its all VAT. In your case someone cocked up and you got charged twice - simples.

As for the EEC (aka common market) - great idea and I would still support it. The EU on the other hand...

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:19 - 27 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Old Git Racing wrote:

OGR

I've never spent more than that and head is still Ok after 45 years riding thanks
[checks for bumps]
Stores with helmets you can try on, what a revolutionary concept there may be one in Newcastle 50 miles away.

How many times have you hit yer head on the road? None I'll bet, but fair play to you. As in anything you get what you pay for

OGR

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:24 - 27 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Git Racing wrote:
if you’re spending £130 on a lid you dont value your head anyway

I thought the same but if you believe the SHARP ratings Thinking there are some very cheap helmets getting 5-star ratings.

DUCHINNI D832, 5 stars, £60!

Weird that it has different impact ratings over the right ear compared to the left though. Maybe the readings were on the borderline.

I know fit, comfort and durability are important but just dealing with the ‘head value’ issue, £60 seems to be enough. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:36 - 28 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Git Racing wrote:
... As in anything you get what you pay for...

Not necessarily, although it's a good guide, but a fool and his money are easily parted.

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:38 - 28 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Git Racing wrote:

OGR

A higher price does not always mean a safer helmet. I wear a Caberg Trip, it cost £95 and has a 5* SHARP rating. That is better than many much more expensive helmets from Shark, Shoei and Arai.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 238 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1