Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

ENGINE COOLANT DISPOSAL?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:31 - 29 Aug 2021    Post subject: ENGINE COOLANT DISPOSAL? Reply with quote

My local tip will take engine oil but does not list engine coolant as a disposable fluid on the website.

Just wondering where I can get rid of this stuff? Will garages take it?

Cheers for any info.

kolu
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:34 - 29 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

your local council should have a "hazardous waste" dispose scheme in place...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:39 - 29 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throw it in the bath water after pulling the plug! Laughing

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:02 - 29 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local tip wont take anything but oil. I accidentally ended up tipping my old coolant in with the oil when I did mine last. Laughing

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:50 - 29 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down the toilet, half a litre at a time so it can’t be traced back to your street gets thoroughly diluted and won’t affect the microbial digestion process at the sewage farm. I think it causes them to bloom rather than poisoning them, but that unbalances the sewage treatment regime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

F18
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:19 - 29 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sums up council recycling.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:24 - 29 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'll have a coolant tank. If not, spit the dummy at the recycling place.
It's all captured on cctv, so we might get a laff at your expense on Found on the Net later. Thumbs Up

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:33 - 29 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies fellas Very Happy

I'll see if the council have got any kind of hazardous waste scheme in place.

F18 wrote:
That sums up council recycling.

At my tip they resorted to checking your waste motor oil was actually motor oil (usually a sniff test) as a lot of people were mixing up their waste brake fluid and coolant in with the oil. Which begs the question - why didn't they provide seperate tanks for waste brake fluid and coolant in the first place? Seeing as they are toxic as f**k and the council is supposed to be concerned about the environment . . .

Last edited by droog on 19:37 - 29 Aug 2021; edited 1 time in total

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:34 - 29 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
They'll have a coolant tank. If not, spit the dummy at the recycling place.
It's all captured on cctv, so we might get a laff at your expense on Found on the Net later. Thumbs Up

I'll definitely try that Mr. Green

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:55 - 29 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
My local tip wont take anything but oil. I accidentally ended up tipping my old coolant in with the oil when I did mine last. Laughing

Likewise. I have a big can for all unwanted garage liquids - engine oil, waste coolant, brake fluid, rank fuel, turps, diesel etc. etc. and it all goes in the oil tank at the tip. I have always taken the view (rightly or wrongly) that when they process the waste oil they will get rid of whatever pollutants are in there better than I would by lobbing it in a drain or some such.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 29 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowasyoulike wrote:
xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

Likewise. I have a big can for all unwanted garage liquids - engine oil, waste coolant, brake fluid, rank fuel, turps, diesel etc. etc. and it all goes in the oil tank at the tip. I have always taken the view (rightly or wrongly) that when they process the waste oil they will get rid of whatever pollutants are in there better than I would by lobbing it in a drain or some such.

That’s exactly my logic. First thing they’re gonna do is separate out anything that isn’t oil and process it separately. And if they don’t want us dumping it down the drain, it’s up to them to provide facilities for it so screw em. Laughing

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:38 - 29 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I did my coolant, unfortunately it went all over the driveway and I had to hose it down the grid.

As for council recycling centres............ they don't like you recycling. I went to the tip to dump stuff off, guy turns up with loads of good lengths of 2x2 and 3x2 timber, I needed timber so he gave me the timber, that's what I call recycling, but person with hiviz ran over shouting that we couldn't do that sort of thing. We ignored him and carried on, but he gave me a dirty look when I returned a few hours later to drop more crap off.

kerr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:56 - 29 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
Last time I did my coolant, unfortunately it went all over the driveway and I had to hose it down the grid.

As for council recycling centres............ they don't like you recycling. I went to the tip to dump stuff off, guy turns up with loads of good lengths of 2x2 and 3x2 timber, I needed timber so he gave me the timber, that's what I call recycling, but person with hiviz ran over shouting that we couldn't do that sort of thing. We ignored him and carried on, but he gave me a dirty look when I returned a few hours later to drop more crap off.

Similar thing happened to me, he couldn't tell me why i shouldnt be taking it, seems silly to me.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:15 - 29 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

kerr wrote:
Similar thing happened to me, he couldn't tell me why i shouldnt be taking it, seems silly to me.

They’re in possession of large quantities of recyclable material, which has a value. The site and staff costs money. Saying, “I’ll take that” effectively takes away funding.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:51 - 30 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

my local recycling centres are by appointment only now. and anyone outside the city has to pay a fee.
needless to say, fly tipping has greatly increased. Sad

photoman
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 07:52 - 30 Aug 2021    Post subject: Old antifreeze Reply with quote

Have you thought about asking a local garage what they do with it, they will have far more to dispose of than yourself.

PS old antifreeze makes a very good weed killer - I spilled some accidentally several years ago and it kept my driveway algae and moss free for years!

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:11 - 30 Aug 2021    Post subject: Re: Old antifreeze Reply with quote

photoman wrote:
Have you thought about asking a local garage what they do with it, they will have far more to dispose of than yourself.

Yeah, that is a good idea, most (professionally run) garages use waste disposal companies to pick up waste oil, coolant, brake fluid etc.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:21 - 30 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
my local recycling centres are by appointment only now. and anyone outside the city has to pay a fee.
needless to say, fly tipping has greatly increased. Sad

[facepalm]At the beginning of COVID, our local centre shut for about 4-5 months. They were the complaining in the local papers about how much flytipping had increased and it was costing a fortune to clean up. [/facepalm]

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:07 - 30 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put mine in with used oil.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:14 - 31 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My oil container is also my coolant and brake, and piss bucket.

https://external-preview.redd.it/ZlU9OcHRnrYkleZYRRiyjf8G7auMttqR2sEU2ey5BAo.png?auto=webp&s=865839fcfda9929859ada2227f91c88ff39207a8
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:17 - 31 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fight Club also offered a good alternative:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/0f/36/58/0f3658e716c4684cea756183df6f0aae.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 210 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1