Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Considering a Bonneville

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

mcgtech
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:41 - 30 Aug 2021    Post subject: Considering a Bonneville Reply with quote

Hi, I passed my Mod2 last week (late to the game as I am now in my fifties - better late than never!) and I have narrowed what I want to buy to two of the new Triumphs: Street Twin or T100 or possibly the Royal Enfield Interceptor 650.
I will try them out tomorrow.

I have always fancied a Triumph and to be honest I know that the Interceptor is a great bike but I really prefer the looks of the Triumph.

The question I have is: the Triumph dealer has a second hand black 2019 reg T100 with heated handlebars, a centre stand, Pannier Rails, Knee & Tank pads and a Givi Rack with 5800 on the clock for £6,995.
Does this make more sense for my first big bike? I would like to think that I can get a few years out of my first and not wish I had got something more powerful (like the new model).

I live up in Inverness, so I am planning doing the NC500 on it.

Last edited by mcgtech on 17:58 - 30 Aug 2021; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:48 - 30 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heated grips are easy to fit and are quite cheap to buy so don't include this in your deliberations.

mcgtech
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:03 - 30 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, thanks Nobby.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:11 - 30 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a good look at the RE They are seriously well built and look gorgeous. For 5.5k new.

mcgtech
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:31 - 30 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Weisse, I will be taking a test ride tomorrow afternoon (Triumphs in the morning)

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:11 - 30 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate at work picked a Continental GT over a Bonnie, despite the Triumph being more powerful. Just felt better. As always, ride both, pick the one that fits you.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:19 - 31 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ridden an Interceptor extensively, a Street Twin for enough to form an opinion on it and a T120 for a fleeting enough time to realise it wasn't for me.

The Interceptor has a buttery creamy engine delivery and sound, minimal vibes, a nice rush up the revs and is very tactile / easy to use, despite not being very powerful - it feels punchier than it is. Its let-down is the suspension, especially the rear, which was a bit pogo-stick even on very smooth Spanish roads. That can be fixed, if you throw some cash at it. Fit / finish and quality all seemed to be there, until I put it against my mate's Honda CB100 EX aaaaand then it's just not, but the Honda would make anything look poorly built. The Enfield is all day comfy, good looking, relatively well built, easy to use, easy to wheel around, fun, and cheap. It's popular for a reason.

The Street Twin is a whole different story to the Interceptor. Very sporty in position terms, I was feeling more like I was on a sports bike than a modern retro, sliding forward into the tank. The engine is a brute and it's very much set up on its nose, aggressively poised and darting into turns. Brakes are great. Build quality is there, too. It's over twice the price of the Enfield and are totally different beasts.

The T120 was....... meh. Ground out the footpeg round a roundabout hardly even trying. Plodder bike IMO.

mcgtech
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:30 - 31 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replies guys very helpful ta, off to try them out.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:32 - 31 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

so how did it go?

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:34 - 01 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

The Street Twin is a whole different story to the Interceptor. Very sporty in position terms, I was feeling more like I was on a sports bike than a modern retro, sliding forward into the tank. The engine is a brute and it's very much set up on its nose, aggressively poised and darting into turns. Brakes are great. Build quality is there, too. It's over twice the price of the Enfield and are totally different beasts

Are you talking about the Speed Twin? I didn't find my Street Twin sporty at all, the brakes were pretty average at best but the engine was nice and punchy (if lacking in top end). It's certainly not twice the price of the RE either, but I think the Speed Twin is heading in that direction.

I had my Street Twin as a first bike and it was spot on. Regret getting rid of it sometimes, but I have finite garage space and funds sadly.

Assuming the T100 shares the same "feature" as the Street Twin, the massive benefit of OEM heated grips is there is no ugly control unit - they are operated by a discreet button on the handlebar and a little display appears in the standard binnacle on the LCD bit. This is far far more elegant than an aftermarket system, plus the grips themselves still look "fitting" to the bike (I always think the Oxford ones and the like look a bit "general purpose" - suit a commuter, but not a retro).

Street Twin would be my choice, but I'd closely compare to the RE. I'd avoid the T120 - as said, it's not really set up for anything other than pootling and even if you think that's what you want right now, your perspective may change as you settle into the bike.

Last edited by ThunderGuts on 14:16 - 01 Sep 2021; edited 1 time in total

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:24 - 01 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a wee sit in the Interceptor yesterday again. Bloody lovely thing.

mcgtech
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:36 - 01 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried them all out - enjoyed them all. Interceptor was a lovely ride, but I was blown away by the street twin so that's the one that I have ordered.
I found the Interceptor a nicer ride to the T100 but I loved the street twin, silky smooth gears, the whole experience made me feel confident. Great first big bike I think.
Thanks for all the comments - appreciate you guys taking time to let me know your thoughts.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:39 - 02 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgtech wrote:
Tried them all out - enjoyed them all. Interceptor was a lovely ride, but I was blown away by the street twin so that's the one that I have ordered.
I found the Interceptor a nicer ride to the T100 but I loved the street twin, silky smooth gears, the whole experience made me feel confident. Great first big bike I think.
Thanks for all the comments - appreciate you guys taking time to let me know your thoughts.

Good choice. Thumbs Up

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:19 - 02 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one. They are a good looking bike.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:24 - 02 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:

Are you talking about the Speed Twin? I didn't find my Street Twin sporty at all

Good bloody spot Embarassed Laughing I did think it was a weird trio of things to be considering!

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:45 - 02 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was considering a new, or nearly new bike, the Speed Twin would definitely be on the list. A Triumph retro with actual power and a non crippling riding position! They should have made it years ago really. Bloody gorgeous in the flesh too.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 230 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1