Faulty Ohlins?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 11:21 - 02 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
If it's electronically controlled it could be a number of things.
Wire/s, connectors, relays, controllers, motor/servo and cetera.
Dealer should get it.
Unless you fancy going through the whole circuit unplugging and plugging to ensure the connection is at least pushed in properly.

Or it could be the preload wound down and the compression and rebound wound up just like others have said.

Pointless post is pointless.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 02 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for your input.

So basically the semi active suspension has stiffened the compression and rebound to compensate for the preload coming loose? And that's why it's not only dazzling oncoming vehicles but also such an uncomfortable ride as well? Have I got that right? That makes sense!

sickpup wrote:
Pointless post is pointless.

Not strictly speaking. I've learned something so it's served a purpose and I'm grateful to you all.

I've tried to move the locking ring but it's a bit tight in there I can't get all of my hand in there to give it a proper grip like a clenched fist to give it a good tug (we likes having a good old tug with a clenched fist) I can only get my fingers in there to try to do it. So it's not budging at the moment. But like Zen Dog said this doesn't necessarily mean it's tight enough to stop it coming undone on its own. I'm convinced the thing has come loose on its own and wound its way up on the way back from Bristol as it did seem to gradually get worse and worse. I know I didn't adjust the thing and I'm pretty sure nobody else would have just for a practical joke!

So I need to buy a C spanner. Probably two would be best so I can tighten them up against each other on opposite directions? For now, I'll run it up the road to my local man to get him to adjust it for me and see if it improves.

Thanks again everyone! Seemed like a dumb thread to begin with but looks like you've helped me figure it out Thumbs Up

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 02 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I found the two C-spanners that came with the bike Embarassed

Should have checked there first huh?

Stupid poxy bike doesn't even have room under the seat for the toolkit I had to rummage around to find it.

Anyway I'm worried about breaking something - the strut is kinda moving/twisting when I wrench on the adjuster/lock rings, is this normal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdpKnVzINuc

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:18 - 02 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/Jlbca0SIxhw?t=222

Watch the vid, but yes it's not unusual for it to have a bit of wiggle it seems. But loosen the lock ring first!

How's that for a quick response! (From a mechanical moron admittedly, a response from the non-morons on the forum may take longer) Very Happy

Last edited by Zen Dog on 15:19 - 02 Sep 2021; edited 1 time in total

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 02 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up

Worrying over nothing!

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:34 - 02 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've wound it down about half way. Haven't got time to sit on it or test ride it until later. That'll do for now.

What about this 35mm rule? Is that specific to this bike or is that just a general rule of thumb for most bikes? I thought preload settings were a personal choice based on riding style rather than a prescribed amount?

And how would I go about measuring the sag? From what point of the bike to the ground?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm learning!

Might be an idea to keep those spanners in my luggage just in case it happens again!

Last edited by DUCAUDI on 16:33 - 02 Sep 2021; edited 1 time in total

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 02 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

TravisBickle wrote:
What about this 35ml rule? Is that specific to this bike or is that just a general rule of thumb for most bikes? I thought preload settings were a personal choice based on riding style rather than a prescribed amount?

And how would I go about measuring the sag? From what point of the bike to the ground?

It's mm, not ml. But it's a general rule of thumb that sag should be around 33% of suspension travel. So working it out for your specific bike you'd need to know the specific travel of your suspension front and back. It's usually around 100-120mm, hence around 35mm sag.

Instructions for measuring sag here -https://www.triumphnet.com/st/acc/racetech/setup.htm

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:34 - 02 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ml? Where the hell did that come from? I knew it didn't look right when I wrote it LOL.

Ok suspension travel should be in the handbook so I'll look that up now...

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:38 - 02 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're a regular in the Bristol area, take it to JHS racing for a suspension setup. Money well spent.
Weigh yourself (in kit) before you go, they will ask your kitted up weight and general riding style. Even on my MT09
with little adjustability, the changes they made made the bike feel much better. Was £35 if I recall correctly.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:41 - 02 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

£35? Yeah definitely money well-spent. Unfortunately Bristol was a one-off so may have to find somewhere more local, probably over the winter in preparation for next riding season. Top of my list is a remap though. Anyone care to recommend somewhere in Kent?

Travel is 120mm so I'm looking at 40mm?

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:57 - 02 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

TravisBickle wrote:
Travel is 120mm so I'm looking at 40mm?

Yes. But look, pretty much all of the advice you've had on here is for normal suspension. You have fancy electronics on yours too. If it's basically rideable now you've put the preload in the middle (and without measuring it, no idea if that's correct but it's probably better), you don't know what you're doing, and it's still under warranty, so returning to my first post, take it to the bloody dealer!

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:00 - 02 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice. Yep ok Thumbs Up

Couple of other niggly bits I'll get them to sort while it's in there too.

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:26 - 02 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
If you're a regular in the Bristol area, take it to JHS racing for a suspension setup. Money well spent.
Weigh yourself (in kit) before you go, they will ask your kitted up weight and general riding style. Even on my MT09
with little adjustability, the changes they made made the bike feel much better. Was £35 if I recall correctly.

Exactly this.

Took my MT09 to these guys and had the suspension set up by them, was well worth it. Thumbs Up

ಠ_ಠ

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:28 - 02 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it'd be worth the ride there just to get it done.

Hopefully next time I don't get back home from Bristol feeling like my arse has been pounded by an angry butcher again :-/

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:31 - 02 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

TravisBickle wrote:

Hopefully next time I don't get back home from Bristol feeling like my arse has been pounded by an angry butcher again :-/

As a regular visitor to Bristol if you don't go home feeling like that it wasn't a good.night.

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:00 - 03 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try following something like this https://davemosstuning.com/set-up-your-motorcycle-suspension-in-6-easy-steps/.

However based on reading this thread with your mechanical knowledge I would suggest taking it to someone else to do. Here https://www.stevejordanmotorcycles.co.uk/suspension.asp has a good reputation although I'm sure you can find suitable places near you that are able to offer the same service.[/url]
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 229 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2