BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Am I crazy?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

TechnoKitten
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:37 - 03 Sep 2021    Post subject: Am I crazy? Reply with quote

I finally have to reach out to the world with my problem.
Last year I passed my test and got my first bike. Right after i started riding i started having some issues that with time got worse. In the beginning of this summer it got so bad i had to sell my bike and take a break. I got tinnitus, headaches, dizziness when rising from sitting position. I got 2 pulsating blood vessels in the temple areas, and i have never seen them there before. You can probably understanfd my concerns. Every time i rode my bike i had same sympthoms - pain in the inner ears, tingling in the temple area and eventually tightness in the chest. Now, after many weeks without riding, it got much better, but tinnitus and temple veins never went away. And today i tried having my helmet on for 30-40 minutes and got same sympthoms. Tightness in chest, pain in the inner ear and so on. It seems like my body rejects the whole idea of having a helmet on my head. I wen to the doctor and had checked everything - im completely healthy. Before you say it: I did try all the helmets in every store available and the one i have is the most comfortable one i ever tried. And i always rode with earplugs, but eventually had to stop using them because somehow they made tinnitus worse. I hope someone can help me with some advice, before i buy another bike and start the cycle again..
Any input at all is very much appreciated!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:57 - 03 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did your doctor mention 'anxiety attacks'?

TechnoKitten
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:01 - 03 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Did your doctor mention 'anxiety attacks'?

Yes, actually the word anxiety has been used, she suggested i get some medication against it. HArd to understand why would i get anxiety from something that brings so much joy..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:04 - 03 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

So why are you asking us? Youi need a health professional.

InB4 Back scuttler turning up in here and regales us all about how he invented the whole of psychiatric medicine....

TechnoKitten
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:11 - 03 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
So why are you asking us? Youi need a health professional.

InB4 Back scuttler turning up in here and regales us all about how he invented the whole of psychiatric medicine....

im asking in hopes of finding someone who experienced the same thing. maybe getting some advice. like for example can it get better or do i just stop riding alltogether. that's why.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:48 - 03 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

identify as a sikh and wrap a towel around your head.

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:55 - 03 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you are not crazy.

The physical symptoms you describe and their association with motorcycle helmets is relatively rare but has been noted and studied and is attributed to 'cranial neuralgia'.

Your physical reaction whilst wearing a motorcyle helmet could simply be down to the fact that you have the wrong motorcycle helmet for your particular head shape and it is putting undue pressure on the nerves and blood vessels in your cranium - sourcing a different helmet more suited to your head shape (whilst ensuring it is the right size and fit for safety) may cure the problem.

Check out this article:

https://www.bestbeginnermotorcycles.com/avoid-headaches-caused-motorcycle-helmets/

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 13:12 - 03 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest what helmet do you have,

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:21 - 03 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try an open face style maybe, I have one for local trips I sometimes forget I have it on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TechnoKitten
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:10 - 03 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Out of interest what helmet do you have,

airoh movement

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:19 - 03 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

where are you based, their might be a shop someone can recommend to you who are really good at fitting helmets in person

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:53 - 03 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well one thing you could do to narrow it down, chuck your lid on and wear it around the house for 40 minutes. Your neighbours might think you've lost it, but on the other hand, it's free and if you see the same symptoms, it must be your lid. If that doesn't do it, do the same procedure but wearing all your bike gear, and make sure your buff is on (if you use one) and the jacket is done up as you'd have it when riding. If that doesn't do it, same again but sitting in an approximate riding position.

If after all that, still nothing, then at least you know it's not your gear, and you haven't had to spend any money. Then you can move on to the options that will cost money to try.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:26 - 03 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psychosomatic ?
What bike do you own?
Are you scared of your bike?
Have you had a previous near miss/close shave whilst on your bike?

These are serious questions.
That might explain why you’re getting the symptoms?.

Or you could buy a car, it could even be a convertible/open topped.
That might give you as near sensation as possible to riding a bike without actually riding a bike.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:30 - 03 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

That might give you as near sensation as possible to riding a bike without actually riding a bike.

That's a bit like banging one out whilst your wife is getting a good rogering from someone several inches longer than you....

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:48 - 03 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue of head shape and motorcycle helmets is (unsuprisingly) taken very seriously by leading helmet manufacturers.

I remember reading somewhere that manufacturers like Arai produce specific interior head shape designs for different world regions (e.g. US, European and Asian markets) as one type of head shape will tend to predominate for example in Western Europe, while another type of head shape is more prevalent in East Asia.

Arai even produce different interior helmet shapes within the same region to cater for various head shapes e.g. 'Long Oval, Intermediate Oval and intermediate Round Oval.

https://www.revzilla.com/arai-helmet-shape-guide

Individual people may find that they have an 'Arai shaped head' or an 'AGV shaped head' etc - you generally have to try a few helmets out until you find a brand that you are most comfortable with - unless you have a more serious issue like the one you describe - in which case you need to source an appropriately shaped helmet as soon as possible to alleviate the physical symptoms you described above.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:51 - 03 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your helmet doesn't appear on the SHARP website.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:03 - 03 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either you need to get referred by your GP to see a neurologist and a neuropsychologist or your lid doesn't fit quite as well as you think it does.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:23 - 03 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heat your head up cherry red in a furnace then quickly slip your helmet on.
The liner is expanded polystyrene and will meld to the exact shape of your noggin.

I hope that helps. Wink

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:25 - 03 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

That's a bit like banging one out whilst your wife is getting a good rogering from someone several inches longer than you....

Hmmm? No one is longer than me Shocked Thumbs Up

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:29 - 03 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Heat your head up cherry red in a furnace then quickly slip your helmet on.
The liner is expanded polystyrene and will meld to the exact shape of your noggin.

Shocked Shocked Shocked I’d say that’s just a tad extreme! Shocked .

Still laughing!

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:47 - 03 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
pepperami wrote:

That's how I feel about those kunts on (road going) quadbikes.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:32 - 03 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current helmet feels really nice. It has an inflatable inner liner, plus it's fairly quiet. It doesn't look as cool as yours but I think it's still cool.

The million dollar question is, is it you, is it your helmet or is it your bike?

It could be any of these things. I had bad headaches when I was riding my project bike, and it was because I didn't have faith in it. The amount of concentration needed to ride a 40 year old bike with spongey brakes, which shuddered and jolted to a halt (from 60+mph) because of various faults - electrical and fuelling - that had to be ironed out, was causing me stress. Wasn't fun pushing it home a couple of times, either. Plus you're always questioning yourself, "what if I haven't installed the tubes properly (again)", "what if I forgot to tighten up the headstock", etc. Lots of headaches but, ultimately, the headaches you choose are tolerable. I don't get them now that the issues have been sorted out.

Others have mentioned your helmet. Someone suggested wearing it around the house for a while. Sounds like a good experiment.

Also, what sort of bike do you have, and do you trust it?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:46 - 03 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A definite cause of headaches is wearing a crash helmet with the 'window' at the back.
to v or not to v This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 233 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1