Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Why it's vital to cancel insurance when you flog a vehicle

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 04 Sep 2021    Post subject: Why it's vital to cancel insurance when you flog a vehicle Reply with quote

It's often pointed out on here that it's really important to do this (even if the admin fee exceeds any refund), because otherwise if the purchaser fails to take out insurance and has an accident, then your insurance company will be obliged to pay out and they will come after you for that money because you've broken the T&C's of your policy.

I've never come across an instance of that actually happening, so was quite interested to read of a case on White Dalton's blog just now:
https://www.whitedalton.co.uk/motorbike-blog/2021/09/not-exactly-a-bonus/?

Ouch.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:08 - 04 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If some kunt/s steals some other kunt's car and rams it into your car you might get the whole bill for it if the kunt who was the keeper/owner of the stolen car had no insurance on it. Shocked

Laughing Laughing

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:13 - 04 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good information there.

I tried to cancel an insurance policy recently that had a couple of months left to run out. The (Carole Nash) guy on the phone seemed to imply that they had no way of doing this, and he told me I should just sit and wait it out as the policy would expire anyway. I insisted, was put through to 3 different drones (typical insurance call centre stuff), and eventually got the policy cancelled. Then they sent me the wrong paperwork to confirm cancellation. I got that corrected, etc. Absolute mess. But important to go through it, as a precaution.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:37 - 04 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is old news. I've never yet heard of a case whereby he insurance company has tried to recoup the costs from the insured person in any situation where they hadn't told the truth to gain insurance or failed to disclose a relevant fact after the event and the insurance are mightily pissed with the judgement in the first place.

In addition MIB would have had to pay out anyway without this judgement a d the are financed by...... insurance companies......

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:33 - 04 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good idea to not just hand over the V5 as well, but actually get a bill of sale drawn up that says as of x date/time, the new owner is responsible for it and not you (make sure you've got their DL number and check the address matches what they've written too). At least then if they blast through a load of speed cameras or it all falls to bits on the way home, you've got some fallback.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:45 - 04 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
This is old news. I've never yet heard of a case whereby he insurance company has tried to recoup the costs from the insured person in any situation where they hadn't told the truth to gain insurance or failed to disclose a relevant fact after the event and the insurance are mightily pissed with the judgement in the first place.

In addition MIB would have had to pay out anyway without this judgement a d the are financed by...... insurance companies......

The first thing MIB do in the event of an uninsured driver is check to see if there is ANY insurance on that vehicle. If there is, then that insurance covers the claim. It's part of the MIB members' agreement AFAIK.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:22 - 05 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I've never yet heard of a case whereby he insurance company has tried to recoup the costs from the insured person in any situation where they hadn't told the truth to gain insurance or failed to disclose a relevant fact after the event

But that's the point - the undisclosed relevant fact in this case is the policyholder's failure to inform the insco that he's flogged his bike, innit. I know it's 'old news' but I haven't heard of a case before where this has actually happened.

matelot
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:54 - 06 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also referenced on this 44Teeth video at about 16:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBa0h3frVdo

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:29 - 06 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what happens when you're a fucking idiot and don't cancel the insurance on the sold vehicle. Like seriously how fucking dim do you need to be?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:35 - 06 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe because retaining the NCB was worth more than the refund?

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:22 - 07 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solution is to always have more than one bike on a policy via multi-vehicle, that way when you sell one you get it removed but continue the plicy on the other one to maintain the full years NCB. The second bike doesn't even need to work and if it's shit enough it barely adds anything to your premium.

If you have the space and the means I highly recommend it.

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:05 - 10 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I sold my MT09 and for the first time ever was left without a bike, I called my insurer and they put the policy on hold for me, still earning NCB, no refund of course and no bike attached to the policy.

Then when I bought the VFR800fi 10days later I simply called them up and had the VFR added, usual policy amendment fee/refund for cheaper bike etc.

No bother.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 222 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1