Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Kawasaki ER6-F: Tyre suggestions please

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:52 - 06 Sep 2021    Post subject: Kawasaki ER6-F: Tyre suggestions please Reply with quote

The bike is being delivered back to me tomorrow and I am fixing it myself apart from putting the new chain and sprockets on it (I don’t want to get riveting the chain wrong) and the tyres (which I’ll have delivered to the garage).

I’m hoping you guys can tell me the best tyres to get for my budget which is £200 - £240 for both tyres?

I will be riding this bike in all weather conditions except for winter, I’ve kept the little Zontes to be my winter hack so the ER6-F will go into hibernation from December to February getting stored in a garage.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:01 - 06 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michelin Pilots have a very good reputation for wet weather performance.
they are what i went for after asking around,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 06 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to suggest road pilot 5's but you wont get them for that money, might get a deal on some RP4's but why scimp for a few quid when its the bit that keeps you on the road?

OGR

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:53 - 07 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might do; I got Pilot 5s on the VFR earlier this year for about £240 fitted (Demon Tweeks). There was an offer on at the time though (free fitting I think). ER6 probably takes skinnier boots so might be a bit cheaper.

Appreciate budget is always a factor, but honestly, miss the next takeaway / pub night / whatever and throw the £40 extra at the tyres - they're the most critical component on the bike. It's not just the "actual" safety they provide, it's the confidence they inspire which in turn directly affects how much you enjoy riding. Sure, dry warm roads you might have high confidence even on cheaper tyres, but throw in damp patches and cooler autumn temps and you'll be getting more wary. Good rubber will inspire confidence and mean you can enjoy riding more, whatever the weather (and let's face it, Scotland is hardly famed for wall to wall sunshine Wink ).

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:08 - 07 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I googled Pilot 5 and all that I am really finding is "Pilot Road 5" that's the ones right?

If that's the ones they come in around the budget, maybe only over it by a tenner which is fine.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:34 - 07 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep those are the ones. I think they changed the name slightly, Road 5 are the tyres though. Thumbs Up

Mine on tour in late spring this year. Thumbs Up

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/brecons2small.jpg

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:38 - 07 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, I will go with these ones since they're so recommended on here.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:42 - 07 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best tyre I've ever used. Mine have done about 1500 miles now and appear to not be showing any wear at all either (there's still a slight groove around the centre band which I imagine will be first to disappear once they start squaring off). Night and day compared to the Pirellis I had on before.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:57 - 07 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Best tyre I've ever used. Mine have done about 1500 miles now and appear to not be showing any wear at all either (there's still a slight groove around the centre band which I imagine will be first to disappear once they start squaring off). Night and day compared to the Pirellis I had on before.

How many miles do your tyres typically last? The tyres that are currently on the ER6-F are Bridgestone somethings and they have taken a beating over the 2,000 miles I used them. They weren't new to begin with, I have no idea how long the previous owner had them on the bike and how many miles were done.

On the other hand the stock Chinese tyres that came on my Zontes have had 2,500 miles on them and still have the colour stripes on the left hand side.

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:20 - 07 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure on bike tyres, but for a car ive always found Michelin to be the best, by some margin, so Im sure they probably make some of the best bike tyres too

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:43 - 07 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long is a piece of string? Lots of factors. Bike tyres rarely "wear out" in the way car tyres do as wear isn't even across their entire surface. Usually they get replaced because the rider doesn't like the way they feel rather than the fact they're on the wear bars. On that, I get about 3-4k miles out of mine. I only ride for fun and actively avoid straight roads - if you're commuting up and down motorways regularly that can contribute to squaring off more quickly. Soft tyre compounds will wear faster, hard acceleration and braking (which generally happens when the bike is bolt upright) will also contribute. Road 5s are dual compound, so a tougher central portion then softer shoulders - in theory tolerate the straight bits better.

Don't overthink it though.

BRUN wrote:
not sure on bike tyres, but for a car ive always found Michelin to be the best, by some margin, so Im sure they probably make some of the best bike tyres too

Actually I've always found Michelin car tyres a bit underwhelming - hard wearing but not the best for grip. Good solid tyres though.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 07 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
How long is a piece of string? Lots of factors. Bike tyres rarely "wear out" in the way car tyres do as wear isn't even across their entire surface. Usually they get replaced because the rider doesn't like the way they feel rather than the fact they're on the wear bars. On that, I get about 3-4k miles out of mine. I only ride for fun and actively avoid straight roads - if you're commuting up and down motorways regularly that can contribute to squaring off more quickly. Soft tyre compounds will wear faster, hard acceleration and braking (which generally happens when the bike is bolt upright) will also contribute. Road 5s are dual compound, so a tougher central portion then softer shoulders - in theory tolerate the straight bits better.

Don't overthink it though.

In all fairness, the tyres on the bike are fairly squared off, but I didn't think they felt all that bad. Then again, I am very inexperienced. Crying or Very sad

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:00 - 07 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
Then again, I am very inexperienced. Crying or Very sad

This made me laugh, I’m following your threads with interest as we passed mod 2 about the same time and have bought effectively the same bike. Only difference is is that you’ve done 2000 miles and I’ve maybe done 100 Laughing

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:02 - 07 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prawny wrote:
Then again, I am very inexperienced. Crying or Very sad

This made me laugh, I’m following your threads with interest as we passed mod 2 about the same time and have bought effectively the same bike. Only difference is is that you’ve done 2000 miles and I’ve maybe done 100 Laughing

Lmao and I've looped mine and you haven't Embarassed Crying or Very sad

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:04 - 07 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lmao and I've looped mine and you haven't Embarassed Crying or Very sad

I’m hoping not to match your experience there Laughing

I did lose the front wheel on my mountain bike last weekend, thought I was a goner Embarassed

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:39 - 07 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use anything except Pilots now. Usually Pilot Power but I'll probably go Road next.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:16 - 07 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll join in the road 5 love-in. Especially with regard to wet grip, with the exception of some silly supermoto tyres I once used, they have the best wet grip I've ever experienced. The PR4s are great too although the front has a tendancy to feather/cup as it wears. They reckon a 2/3 worn 5 is as grippy as a brand new 4.

My rear is nearly spanked but I took it on a 350 mile motorway run at the weekend, it was just off the wear bars (well, on the wear bars if I'm being honest) when I left. Looked no different when I got home.

The only valid criticism I've heard is they seem a tad more prone to punctures than some other tyres.

WULFSTAN
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:36 - 07 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mitas touring force half the price of road 5s and just as good.
Your backside is better enough for you to run again, if need be – bristle up the courage of the cornered rat, put on a bold front, and to hell with them. Bluff my boy – bluff, shift and lie for the sake of your neck and the honour of Old England
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 08 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Road 5s are amazing. 4s were good.. Mrs K has them on her bike... 5s next. The equivalent bridgstones are great too, but I'm running them on my v strom and unless I was on a sports bike doing hard riding I wouldn't go elsewhere.

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 09 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Road 5's have the added entertainment factor of 3 lines on them. If you cant get to the 1st line you dont need 5's and should have bought some cheap shit. 2nd line is acceptable for an old duffer who gives it a bit. 3rd line is getting serious and good, 3rd line to the edge is better! Check out you're 5's

OGR

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:53 - 10 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Git Racing wrote:
Road 5's have the added entertainment factor of 3 lines on them. If you cant get to the 1st line you dont need 5's and should have bought some cheap shit. 2nd line is acceptable for an old duffer who gives it a bit. 3rd line is getting serious and good, 3rd line to the edge is better! Check out you're 5's

OGR

I hope you don't mean the ones that are drawn on, cos if so you've low standards Laughing

https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.yh9OacbVytAyf00nmCL4AAHaJ4?pid=ImgDet&rs=1

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:50 - 10 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Git Racing wrote:

OGR

I'm an old duffer at heart anyway. Thumbs Up

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/idiotically_slow.jpg

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:32 - 10 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:

Absolute mad lad mate the chicken strips on mine going to be measured in inches Embarassed
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 226 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1