Maxi scoots

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sg44ping
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:01 - 17 May 2021    Post subject: Maxi scoots Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I have been having a look at maxi scooters as a touring machine once i get my license, i notice you don't see a whole lot of them in then UK, what the reason for that? From a few reviews I've seen of them they seems fantastic, far more practical and comfortable that touring motorbikes, but yet they don't seem as popular, are they just not really well known enough in the uk markets? Is there heightened security risks with scooters? Personally I'm looking at the suzuki Burgman 400 as my first bike once i get my license, just curious to get your thoughts really?

Thanks in advance!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:16 - 17 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because they are scooters.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:18 - 17 May 2021    Post subject: Re: Maxi scoots Reply with quote

Sg44ping wrote:
Scooter

Refer to Nobby the Bastard's signature. Laughing

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:41 - 17 May 2021    Post subject: Re: Maxi scoots Reply with quote

Sg44ping wrote:
far more practical and comfortable than touring motorbikes

So are cars. But I still ride a motorbike.

Sg44ping
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:37 - 17 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel this has been a very hostile response and i apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:21 - 17 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sg44ping wrote:
I feel this has been a very hostile response and i apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Chin up lad, it's just a giggle.

If you want a scooter that's fine, you'll be in the extremely small number of scooter riders who don't work for Just Eat, Deliveroo, Uber Eats, etc who basically are the only market for scooters. I don't see that there would be a heightened risk with scooters being stolen unless there's literally nothing better to steal at the time.

Just make sure you get one in a colour that doesn't clash with your skirt.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:01 - 17 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats not hostile. Its just a gentle ribbing....

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:22 - 17 May 2021    Post subject: Re: Maxi scoots Reply with quote

Sg44ping wrote:
they seems fantastic, far more practical and comfortable that touring motorbikes

If you measure practicality by the size of the under seat storage then get a maxi scooter.

For everything else, get a touring motorbike.

What do you want to do with it?

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:34 - 17 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Thats not hostile. Its just a gentle ribbing....

Ribs for extra feel.

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:32 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience of scooters post CBT has put me off them for life or at least until I’ve had a chance to have a proper go on something big.

I feel like I’m only loosely attached to my scoot whereas I feel fully in control of a bike. I had my first big bike lesson since my CBT last week (getting on for 2 years because of lockdown and £££s) and it was so much better, the front end of my scooter feels super vague and there’s no weight on my feet so I don’t feel in control.

Maybe a 600+cc scooter would be better, but they’re so expensive and wide you might as well get a small car.

I’m hoping to get me an NC750 as some point in the future because I like the storage, but bike position is so much better I’d be happy to make do with a massive backpack and top box in the meantime.

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:20 - 22 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prawny wrote:
My experience of scooters post CBT has put me off them for life or at least until I’ve had a chance to have a proper go on something big.

The Vity is, to my mind, almost like a motorized office chair. The small wheels make it very sensitive to body movement at 40+mph. Scooters with larger wheels are less sensitive but still much more so than a big bike.

The sensitivity to body movement - being able to apply "body English" to quickly alter the roll angle - is IMO the defining riding characteristic of scooters. It makes them extremely agile when filtering in tight traffic at city speeds.

If you have to go long distances at higher speeds, motorbikes are undoubtedly better. But if I was touring a scenic area on narrow, low-speed mixed-use (pedestrians, cyclists) roads, I'd prefer a scooter to a motorbike. Much easier to slide on and off for photo opportunities, easier to do a U-turn on, and so on.

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:11 - 22 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

barrkel wrote:
Prawny wrote:

The Vity is, to my mind, almost like a motorized office chair. The small wheels make it very sensitive to body movement at 40+mph. Scooters with larger wheels are less sensitive but still much more so than a big bike.

This is true, but over the last couple of years I’ve gotten accustomed to the sensitivity and I’m kind of ok with it, but I’m still really uncomfortable with how vague the front end is, even at reasonably low speed, 90 degree turns are a lottery it feel like the front is going to tuck and I’ve got no confidence in it, the fact that you sit on top of a scoot and there’s no weight on any part of your body except your backside makes it worse.

I’m keen to try some other scooters for comparison and probably will try and test ride some ones I’ve got my licence but I’m not holding out much hope, the ER6 I’ve been doing my training on feels better in every way, other than in dense traffic, but I don’t think a burgman would be that much better there.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:38 - 22 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked wow! It didn’t take for you lot to drive him away.
Well done Confused
That has to be the fastest flounce I’ve come across .

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:49 - 22 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

some people are overly sensitive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 22 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

That's scooter riders for you.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 23 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
to v or not to v wrote:

That's scooter riders for you.

Probably just his time of the month

JohanTheAndro...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:55 - 27 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been kind of obsessed with Maxi scooters lately. I've never ridden one, but they look like they'd be quite fun to take in places where a "regular" 50cc scooter can't go.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:03 - 27 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people are just in denial/the closet. I've ridden a mates X-adv maxi scooter and it was a fucking hoot. At-least, it is once you find how to put it in sports mode.

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:23 - 27 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The X-adv looks great, especially with the off road pegs so your feet are in the right place. Still not 100% sure if I like riding without a tank between my knees, I really didn’t like my old scooter at (it’s pitiful) speed and I feel much better on the bigger bike.

I’d like a go on on a big scooter, but the other issue is the cost. Even used your looking at 8 grand you could get a new NC750 for that money and not worry about the tank.

Sako
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:04 - 28 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sg44ping wrote:

I really feel this is not the best forum for you based on that sentence alone.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:10 - 28 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sako wrote:
Sg44ping wrote:

I really feel this is not the best forum for you based on that sentence alone.

Although the user name of the first respondent should have served as a clue.

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:28 - 10 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

More than likely he is enjoying the 400 Burgman he's bought and will never give this place a second thought Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 219 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1