Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda NSR 125 not firing (carburetor cleaning?)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Simon13245
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:18 - 17 Aug 2021    Post subject: Honda NSR 125 not firing (carburetor cleaning?) Reply with quote

Hello there good people.

Today I wanted to go for a joyride, yet my old NSR wouldn't start. She was sitting only 24h. So I tried to diagnose the problem:

- There is a spark (checked it),
- There is a fuel coming right to the carburetor (removed the tank and the fuel line). While removing the fuel line on the carb side, a lot of gas spilled.
- Starter works normally, it sounds just like it did 1 day ago.

So what would be your diagnose? Carburetor and jets cleaning? As I mentioned at the beginning the bike was sitting like 24h and was working normally.

Thank you for your time.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:32 - 17 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was working yesterday and isn't working today it won't be the carb.

Most problems are electrical. Probably a weak spark.
Edit: has the exhaust valve stuck in the high rev position?

Last edited by Nobby the Bastard on 18:41 - 17 Aug 2021; edited 1 time in total

Simon13245
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:38 - 17 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
If it was working yesterday and isn't working today it won't be the carb.

Most problems are electrical. Probably a weak spark.
Edit: has the exhaust valve stuck in the high rev position?

Hmm, weak spark you say. The spark plug was new, it has only 700 km on the clock. It was a little wet but didn't notice a lot of foul on it.

No, I am sure the exhaust valve resets every time I turn the bike off. There is an RC valve that closes automatically.

Edit. Checked the spark plug and cleaned it with sandpaper so now it's silver. Still no luck, won't start. I can hear engine cranking but no luck.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:09 - 17 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you take the plug out, touch it to some bare metal on the engine, turn it over are you getting a nice, bright white/blue spark or a pathetic yellow/orange one?

Simon13245
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:50 - 17 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
If you take the plug out, touch it to some bare metal on the engine, turn it over are you getting a nice, bright white/blue spark or a pathetic yellow/orange one?

There is definitely a blue spark.

I'm wondering, maybe the compression is too low.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:55 - 18 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon13245 wrote:

It'd have to be non-existent not to at least catch a bit and I doubt piston rings dissolve in 24hrs Laughing If you have spark and fuel maybe look for a timing issue?

Simon13245
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:49 - 18 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Simon13245 wrote:

It'd have to be non-existent not to at least catch a bit and I doubt piston rings dissolve in 24hrs Laughing If you have spark and fuel maybe look for a timing issue?

I managed to start today using starter fluid. It runs normally. Then let's say you turn it off, and try to start in gear with the clutch pulled, it won't. Then you go to neutral and try again, cranking but dead. Only spraying some starter fluid helps.

I will look into timing, and also will try a new spark plug. I think that it has fuel issues since it turns on only on starter fluid.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:06 - 18 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at that carb... is it one where the choke dumps a bit more fuel in (as opposed to actually choking the air flow) Thinking If so maybe try restricting the air intake a bit and see if it starts.

Simon13245
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:38 - 18 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Looking at that carb... is it one where the choke dumps a bit more fuel in (as opposed to actually choking the air flow) Thinking If so maybe try restricting the air intake a bit and see if it starts.

So a little background. Started the bike again with starter fluid, and took it for a spin with the hope that some driving will clean the carb and do something. But nope, bike was hot and not starting (without the help of a starting fluid).

So now the bike is still warm and I tried to start it. Nothing. The second time I tried to restrict the airflow like you advised...and it worked. After that, I had to remove my hand because the bike was stalling a little and was lacking air. What does it mean?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:51 - 18 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sticking your hand over the intake simulates a butterfly valve choke. You still have the same amount of fuel but as there's less air available the mixture is richer. But what your carb should be doing is opening a valve to dump more petrol in. More petrol, same amount of air = richer mixture.

I'd have a look at the choke cable and pay careful attention to the marked bit here...

https://i.imgur.com/6DJaGpa.jpg?1

...which happens to look - and excuse the technical term - a bit fucked Smile

Simon13245
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:12 - 19 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Sticking your hand over the intake simulates a butterfly valve choke. You still have the same amount of fuel but as there's less air available the mixture is richer. But what your carb should be doing is opening a valve to dump more petrol in. More petrol, same amount of air = richer mixture.

I'd have a look at the choke cable and pay careful attention to the marked bit here...

https://i.imgur.com/6DJaGpa.jpg?1

...which happens to look - and excuse the technical term - a bit fucked Smile

Thanks again for your time. I will take a look at all the suggestions you give. I will report back Smile

Simon13245
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:29 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to report back on the current situation.

First of all after some help from the mechanic the carb is clean and now the bike fires normally.

Also, we managed to get rid of the oil leak (sort of?). It was coming from the starter. Now after changing the gaskets on the starter the oil leaks from time to time from the breather hole on stator side (left crankcase). It usually drips when I push the bike very hard. For now, I'm leaving it as it is, I don't think I will invest any more time and money into this machine Smile

Last edited by Simon13245 on 20:19 - 12 Sep 2021; edited 1 time in total

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:36 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon13245 wrote:
For now, I'm leaving it as it is, I don't think I will invest any more time and money into this machine Smile

invest your time in enjoying the bike whilst theres still some good weather. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Simon13245
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:20 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
Simon13245 wrote:
For now, I'm leaving it as it is, I don't think I will invest any more time and money into this machine Smile

invest your time in enjoying the bike whilst theres still some good weather. Thumbs Up

Oh yes, in that regard I'm trying to invest as much time as possible Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 218 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1