Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

So... What oiled your gears today?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 101, 102, 103  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:49 - 10 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have what I think is a 1980/90s Peugeot mountain bike, bought it off my mate for £30 when I had my stroke in 2005 and was not allowed to drive for about a month. Thought it would provide alternative transport and useful as a bit of exercise.

After I had scraped myself against the pedals in the garage for the hundredth time when working on my motorbike I took it to work and stored it there instead. After all, I occasionally build cycle facilities, what better way to try them out.

After it sat for so long unused that FM chopped the lock to dispose of it, I brought it home just in time for Lockdown, it's been ridden more in the last year than since 2005 when I got it.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:59 - 10 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 1990 Gary Fisher Joshua X1 that I got for £30 off ebay nearly 6 years ago.

It came with the original receipt (£1,000) and aside from fixing the occasional puncture all I've done is repaced the back brake pads.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:37 - 10 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
A 1990 Gary Fisher Joshua X1 that I got for £30 off ebay nearly 6 years ago.

It came with the original receipt (£1,000) and aside from fixing the occasional puncture all I've done is repaced the back brake pads.

I've just googled that as I had no idea what you are talking about, My comment on it is that seat. Shocked

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:31 - 11 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today was excellent because going kayaking for a few hours this morning. Mr. Green

It was made more excellent as I'm getting back into coaching again and am being asked to help run groups.

I'm really enjoying it. Dance!

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:37 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Today was excellent because going kayaking for a few hours this morning. Mr. Green

It was made more excellent as I'm getting back into coaching again and am being asked to help run groups.

I'm really enjoying it. Dance!

I think this is the most 'normal post you've added.

You.....almost...seem human.

I haven't kayaked since I was a recboy. Enjoyed it immensely.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:49 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking middle pubert to University this afternoon. Proud as punch!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:12 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

To study what? Something that might be useful, I hope.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:39 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

First decent ride in 6 months.
New amazing roads
No cars in my way
New discs are amazing
Brit win at the tennis
McLaren 1-2 at the F1
Sir LuLu crying like a little bitch
Lamb in the oven
Cider in my hand
Won a watch on ebay that should turn a good profit

Good day is good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:16 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Diggs wrote:

To study what? Something that might be useful, I hope.

Nutritional science. Food and shit...

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:03 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Nutritional science. Food and then shit...

FTFY Wink

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:32 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoke to my mother
That will do for now.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisty wrote:

Brit win at the tennis

really?

Emma Raducanu was born on 13 November 2002 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, to Ian (native Ioan[9]) and Renee (née Dong Mei Zhai[10]), who originated from Bucharest, Romania, and Shenyang, Liaoning, China, respectively.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:44 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
Fisty wrote:

Brit win at the tennis

really?

Emma Raducanu was born on 13 November 2002 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, to Ian (native Ioan[9]) and Renee (née Dong Mei Zhai[10]), who originated from Bucharest, Romania, and Shenyang, Liaoning, China, respectively.

Is she a British passport holder, is she pro-British, and does she play proudly under the British flag? If so, that's good enough for me. Assuming she's also not trans male to 'female' in the women's tournaments.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:10 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been away for the weekend but had to come home early due to a monster head cold (disappointingly, as I had looked forward to this weekend for AGES through all that petsitting malarkey).

But within minutes of me slumping onto the sofa in a snuffly heap with a fluffy blanket, Dennis the cat turned up and proceeded to sit on my chest/shoulder whilst I dozed under a blanket all afternoon.

She's lately been doing funny simple little things like stretching her arm out to touch me with her paw, with really make me realise that although she's a bolshy mare most of the time, she really is a most affectionate little thing.
She deserves better than me.
But I'm what there is, so she makes the most of it.

Bless her, funny little tripod.
Wub

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:08 - 14 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

a geeky joke I put on a Skyrim sub-reddit got a thousand likes : Embarassed

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:24 - 15 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a ride on my mate's Jawa 350/354. The bike is freshly restored. Well, the engine still needs some attention, especially the primary chain and clutch, carburetion is also something that needs a bit fidling with, the original ignition switch is not working yet, but despite of that the bike is fully rideable as is right now. It takes a different aproach to ride such bike comfortably, but once I got a hand of it it was quite smooth ride, comfortably holding 55-60mph, smoothly going through the town at 30mph and the suspension system and brakes are just adequate to what the engine can deliver. It was also after a very long time that I used the rear brake as my primary means of slowing down. Due to the frame geometry, the rear brake feels like 70% of your stopping power + the brake light switch is only on the rear brake pedal.

That being said, it was a lovely experience. Thumbs Up

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/jawa01.jpg
https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/pxl_20210914_154719774.jpg

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 16:32 - 15 Sep 2021; edited 1 time in total

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:50 - 15 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
I had a ride on my mate's Jawa 350/354. The bike is freshly restored. Well, the engine still needs some attention, especially the primary chain and clutch, carburetion is also something that needs a bit fidling with, the original ignition switch is not working yet, ut despite of that the bike is fully rideable as is right now. It takes a different aproach to ride such bike comfortably, but once I got a hand of it it was quite smooth ride, comfortably holding 55-60mph, smoothly going through the town at 30mph and the suspension system and brakes are just adequate to what the engine can deliver. I was also after a very long time that I used the rear brake as my primary means of slowing down. Due to the frame geometry, the rear brake feels like 70% of your stopping power + the brake light switch is only on the rear brake pedal.

That being said, it was a lovely experience. Thumbs Up

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/jawa01.jpg
https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/pxl_20210914_154719774.jpg

I wouldn't bother riding that, I'd hang it on the wall in my livingroom. It's utterly beautiful.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:55 - 16 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I wouldn't bother riding that, I'd hang it on the wall in my livingroom. It's utterly beautiful.

Yes, it is a beauty. The chrome tank is spotless and my mate has done a great job with the paint job and gold striping. Also, the speedometer is nice to look at at night, it's lit through a slot in the headlight, which is quite unusuall to see these days.

It is the ''perfect time and weather'' kind of motorcycle, though. Just the right amount of nostalgia before you realise it's a pre-war design motorcycle made in the 60's.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:53 - 18 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three hours of kayaking this morning helping to run two different groups. Mr. Green

Much fun was had by all. I'll have to go back again tomorrow. And on Monday. And Tuesday. And then on Wednesday there's a group to run. Thursday should be a good day for it as well. I should and will go on Friday. Then it'll be Saturday again with two groups.

Dance!

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:53 - 18 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I straddled the new Harley Pan America 1250.
A bloke at work switched from a Transalp which he didn't really get on with.
I have to say, it wasn't an unpleasant experience. It doesn't shout Harley both on or off the bike to be honest.
The tech is pretty extensive and fairly impressive and the riding position for me was a mix of obviously upright and slightly sportier footpeg position than I'd associated with the brand.
Like I said, not unpleasant.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:00 - 19 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today Mr Lampkin stopped when he saw a little girl waving at him.
https://www.motorcycleriders.net/uploads/monthly_2021_09/20210919_114435.jpg.2811abd4b90da7c7c8908bdf31def191.jpg

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:27 - 19 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
the riding position for me was a mix of obviously upright and slightly sportier footpeg position than I'd associated with the brand.

That's what I really like about my Sportster, its got pegs in the middle, not forward controls. I don't think I would much like that "fat bastard sprawled on a sofa" position. It might be better for imposed-upon Boomer hips/knees, but mine aren't that old yet.

(yet ... Shifty )

Laughing

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:02 - 19 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked the right day weatherwise (yesterday) to attend Duxford’s Battle of Britain airshow. The display was excellent as always, this time including helicopters (yes I know they weren’t in the battle…). I live fairly local so it’s almost possible to become blasé about airworthy Spitfires, but 11 in a formation with 4 Hawker Hurricanes is impressive, and the Spitfire solos were outstanding. There were WW1 biplanes too, chasing each other around and then landing directly into wind totally regardless of the runway. No long gaps in the display, there was always something going on.

I got chatting with one of the stall-holders who said he’d just traded in a Moto Guzzi for an Enfield. I keep finding myself on sub-B roads thinking I’m on the wrong (sports)bike for this, and Enfields look like such good value I keep being tempted by chance conversations, etc. There’s a dealership in the next town too…

On entry to the museum/airfield I was asked for evidence of my Covid status so I showed my vaccination card. Unusually this year, parking for bikes was in the main car park instead of on-site beside a hangar, and the bike bays were full so there were bikes in amongst the car parking bays. I felt less special.

The ride home was spoiled somewhat by car drivers on the dual carriageway who’ve never heard of ‘Keep Left.’ I’m not averse to under-taking now and then but the BMW SUV driver in particular seemed keen to let me hear his drainpipe exhaust with the occasional burst of speed, so I knew I was in the presence of an idiot, and with it being fairly busy (and being on the 600 not the 1000) I decided not to rile him (might have been a her).

Incidentally, in the last couple of years (lockdown permitting) I’ve used the 2003 R1 more but this year I chose to use the 1999 ZX6R. At first it felt flat and hard work in comparison, but once I’d recalibrated to 600cc (use the gears and wring it) it’s been an absolute hoot. Where the R1 feels like an electric missile the 600 feels like an animal; the noise! I wouldn’t be without either bike but the interesting thing is how you have to adapt.

https://i.postimg.cc/MGY3L59T/22384BC4-F5F8-4087-9B0B-B2C4E49BF32D.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/3NrT6WjM/230AA8E9-B5AB-4FEC-A2FA-E96A8DA07019.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/dVrx2wdG/23E8C009-F752-4E21-81BE-D9C3C869863F.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/vZVp0WRg/38B3B70C-58F4-440A-AEB0-A377A1873691.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/K83yC6TY/405E88EA-F715-4B2B-AB26-8F5FA7F66343.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/vBH2wnKv/4B4C8AA6-B245-4FEE-A685-CB4867B12BE5.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/s2MnKWMQ/E5620552-E434-4666-ABE6-8792E85BF209.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/bvPFLWHW/85595B36-9334-4932-A54F-884A6945544A.jpg

Edit: should have been on the “Where have you been on your bike” thread. Ah, well…

Last edited by Kawasaki Jimbo on 20:27 - 19 Sep 2021; edited 1 time in total

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:13 - 19 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabulous air show.
Been to it once before with the big bad ex (who is a complete and utter plane spotter) - about 8 years ago now, loved it. I used to go to things like that when I was a kid.

I was heading up to St Albans on the M11, and I saw there were signs for the air show, but I was determined to get to the NCC show in Newport Pagnell (which didn't happen how we expected in the end :o ) and I really wished I had the time to go to Duxford.

Another year, hopefully Wub

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:01 - 19 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to wrap one's head around so many Spitfires and Hurricanes being aloft not to mention sourcing the pilots Shocked
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 212 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 101, 102, 103  Next
Page 15 of 103