Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Nut size for exhaust headers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:29 - 13 Sep 2021    Post subject: Nut size for exhaust headers Reply with quote

Can someone please help me with this? I am quite new to DIY on a motorbike. I need to replace the rusted nuts on my exhaust and looking to buy the recommended brass nuts.

As the nuts take 12mm sockets, I assumed it will be a M12 and ordered some. These are too big. What size nuts I should by for 12mm sockets? On checking online M7 is 11mm and M8 is 13mm... But can't find what 12mm is.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:11 - 13 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOst exhaust studs are M6 and generally take a 10mm spanner.

Note that thread size (M...)doesn't automatically dictate the head size.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:34 - 13 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
MOst exhaust studs are M6 and generally take a 10mm spanner.

Note that thread size (M...)doesn't automatically dictate the head size.

Thanks for your reply. For Kawasaki ER6N the outside of the nut is definitely 12mm. I followed the below video and it states that these are 12mm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DPQfsPZghA&t=86s

Anyone know the right nuts for ER6 please?

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:24 - 13 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have called fowlersparts and they told me this is what I need. It says NUT 8MM. Does this mean M8?

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/view/92210-1114

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:37 - 13 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

sapstar wrote:
I have called fowlersparts and they told me this is what I need. It says NUT 8MM. Does this mean M8?

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/view/92210-1114

Well I guess they should know. From the video they do look beefier than M6, but remember that sometimes the Japs use finer thread pitch too
than standard (although mostly on M10 size IME)

I suspect though that these will also do the job -for just a few quid worth a try.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264907628012

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:20 - 13 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Well I guess they should know. From the video they do look beefier than M6, but remember that sometimes the Japs use finer thread pitch too
than standard (although mostly on M10 size IME)

I suspect though that these will also do the job -for just a few quid worth a try.

Thanks for the info. I did see recommendations to use brass or stainless steel. I couldn't find any plain flanged nuts in brass, Would these be a good substitute?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232618714207?var=532046421932

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:36 - 13 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.accu.co.uk/en/flanged-hexagon-nuts/409656-HFFN-M8-A4

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:57 - 13 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want M8 nuts for 12mm hex. Exhaust studs are never fine thread so just standard ones will do. If you can find them in brass even better, in bronze even better again.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:38 - 13 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's often confusion over bolts etc where someone will say
'whip out that 10mm bolt' when its actually an M6 bolt with a 10mm head
A lot bikes use 8mm heads on 6mm bolts too
My M8 exhaust studs have 13mm nuts just to add to the confusion.
Very Happy

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:12 - 13 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never seen a M6 nut with a 8mm hex, it would leave only 1mm of metal from the thread root to the nut flat.

13mm head is standard for a M8 nut (except flanged) but not on most bikes. Typically they are 12mm hex.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:05 - 13 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

sapstar wrote:
A100man wrote:

Thanks for the info. I did see recommendations to use brass or stainless steel. I couldn't find any plain flanged nuts in brass, Would these be a good substitute?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232618714207?var=532046421932

Those are for a 13mm spanner. They might fit or their might not be anought clearance around your pipe. The JIS ones I linked to are M8/12mm hex but BZP. Not a problem if you douse with copper slip in my view.

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:51 - 13 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody for your inputs. I ended up ordering the stainless steel ones on eBay this evening. I don't think clearance for the nut will be a problem. I checked that there is enough space for an additional 1mm.

Not sure why the manufacturers can't use higher grade nuts that don't rust...

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 01:30 - 14 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you just love the metric system. Much better than the old imperial system - everything is standard.

Sizes commonly used on bikes.
M5- everyone uses an 8mm hex
M6- everyone uses 10mm hex ( except engine case bolts 8mm)
M7- Only the french use M7 - with an 11mm hex ( makes a good replacement for stripped 1/4 bolts.
M8 here the wheels start falling off - Japanese stuff uses 12mm hex, European uses 13mm hex.
M9 - Only the French again, they use a 14mm hex.
M10 - Japanese depart from iso and use a non standard finer thread with a 14mm hex European stuff uses the iso standard pitch and a 17mm hex.
M12 Japanese, again a finer thread and a 17mm hex Europeans stanadard iso and a 19mm hex.
And so it goes.
Whilst I'm on the metric system what group of fucking idiots decided to use the same unit to measure the height of a kitchen worktop (900mm) and the thickness of a human hair (0.01mm approx) and loads of decimal points, no risk of errors there then.

At least in imperial you have cosy fractions like 5/16 that you can easily read off a ruler and if you require more accuracy theres thousanths of an inch - so 0.3125 for example

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:30 - 14 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve the grease wrote:
Don't you just love the metric system. Much better than the old imperial system - everything is standard.

Sizes commonly used on bikes.
M5- everyone uses an 8mm hex
M6- everyone uses 10mm hex ( except engine case bolts 8mm)
M7- Only the french use M7 - with an 11mm hex ( makes a good replacement for stripped 1/4 bolts.

Except Suzuki use them in bundles. Every GSX/GSXR cam cap bolt is M7 and there's 10 on every engine at least. Plus I actually made a 80mm long M7 bolt for a member here for his CZ generator which isn't French.
Quote:
M8 here the wheels start falling off - Japanese stuff uses 12mm hex, European uses 13mm hex.
M9 - Only the French again, they use a 14mm hex.

Suzuki case bottom bolts also M9
Quote:
M10 - Japanese depart from iso and use a non standard finer thread with a 14mm hex European stuff uses the iso standard pitch and a 17mm hex.

BMW use 16mm hex on 10mm engine/frame bolts.

Quote:
M12 Japanese, again a finer thread and a 17mm hex Europeans stanadard iso and a 19mm hex.
And so it goes.
Whilst I'm on the metric system what group of fucking idiots decided to use the same unit to measure the height of a kitchen worktop (900mm) and the thickness of a human hair (0.01mm approx) and loads of decimal points, no risk of errors there then.

Actually, kitchen cabinet sizes are typically denominated in cm and it's bloody annoying.

Quote:
At least in imperial you have cosy fractions like 5/16 that you can easily read off a ruler and if you require more accuracy theres thousanths of an inch - so 0.3125 for example

Yeah very handy, until you start mulitiplying and dividing them, hell even adding and subtracting them is a PITA. Humans have 10 digits so naturally work in base 10 that's why the metric system is base 10. Doubling-up fractional denominations are non-intuitive they might have made sense some while ago but not for the modern age.

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 218 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1