Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Tutoro chain oiler

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 16 Sep 2021    Post subject: Tutoro chain oiler Reply with quote

Anyone have one of these? Any good compared to Scottoilers? Don’t need a vacuum hookup so would be easier to install….

https://www.tutorochainoiler.com/collections/frontpage/products/tutoro-auto-patrol-kit

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:34 - 17 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used one sold/fitted a few
They're easier to fill than a scottoiler but a little smaller and no provision for Touring /extended range tank
I prefer scottoiler V system but Tutoro is as good I allways recommend for bikes with hard to access vacuum system
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:56 - 17 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had one on the KTM. The only issue is they specify you have to use their special magic beans oil. I shoved ordinary gear oil in there and to hell with it.

Getting s bit too much, then a bit too little, depending on the weather but I guess that's similar to Scottoiler.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:05 - 17 Sep 2021    Post subject: Re: Tutoro chain oiler Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
Anyone have one of these? Any good compared to Scottoilers? Don’t need a vacuum hookup so would be easier to install….

https://www.tutorochainoiler.com/collections/frontpage/products/tutoro-auto-patrol-kit

Out of interest, how much do you ride through winter, and in rain?

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:29 - 17 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got sent one to review for my blog - so yep, paid promotion declaimers and all that jazz.

Nonetheless, I found it pretty decent. Installation was straightforward, no faff hooking up to a vacuum hose or battery. The reservoir does need to be mounted vertically, which can make finding a good location tricky.

Earlier models had a two prong dispenser for either side of the sprocket, which I hear were a little finicky to align. Later ones (and mine) just dispense to one side of the sprocket - but oil still spreads well across the whole chain.

Yes, you do need to keep an eye on the flow valve and tweak it to match ambient temp or crank it up a little in wet conditions. Not too big a deal though. I've not tried any none-Tutora oil in it - they do not recommend anything other than their own (obviously!) TBH i'm still on the original bottle supplied after 6k miles!

Either way, been using it for a year now with no hassles. Not done as many miles as I normally would due to remote working/lockdown etc, but it's still going strong after about 6k miles.

My full write up can be found here:

https://www.beginnerbiker.com/2020/10/tutoro-trek-auto-motorcycle-chain-oiler-review/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:56 - 17 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arfa__ wrote:
I got sent one to review for my blog - so yep, paid promotion declaimers and all that jazz.

Nonetheless, I found it pretty decent. Installation was straightforward, no faff hooking up to a vacuum hose or battery. The reservoir does need to be mounted vertically, which can make finding a good location tricky.

Earlier models had a two prong dispenser for either side of the sprocket, which I hear were a little finicky to align. Later ones (and mine) just dispense to one side of the sprocket - but oil still spreads well across the whole chain.

Yes, you do need to keep an eye on the flow valve and tweak it to match ambient temp or crank it up a little in wet conditions. Not too big a deal though. I've not tried any none-Tutora oil in it - they do not recommend anything other than their own (obviously!) TBH i'm still on the original bottle supplied after 6k miles!

Either way, been using it for a year now with no hassles. Not done as many miles as I normally would due to remote working/lockdown etc, but it's still going strong after about 6k miles.

My full write up can be found here:

https://www.beginnerbiker.com/2020/10/tutoro-trek-auto-motorcycle-chain-oiler-review/

I was considering getting the GIVI side bag carriers for my ER6-F, looks like mounting this oiler inside the carriers would be convenient. Really interested in this now, I have been thinking about a Scottoiler for a while but I've always been put off by the faff of setting it up.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:13 - 17 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Define 'faff'.

Most of it is going to exist for any flavour of auto luber you fit.

Scotoiler even does recommended fitment instructions for lots of bikes in their webiste including siteing of the bits and where to find a vacuum.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:21 - 17 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Define 'faff'.

Scotoiler even does recommended fitment instructions for lots of bikes in their webiste including siteing of the bits and where to find a vacuum.

I am guessing I will need to remove fairings to get access to the vacuum?

https://marketingengineer.de/article/er6-ninja-650-2006-2011.html#

The one OP talked about looks like it would just mount on the side bag carriers then it's just a case of routing down the hose to the swingarm using cable ties and then routing down the swingarm to the hook that I will simply mount on the side stand bobbin that's already there.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:43 - 17 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll throw this into the mix:

https://pdoiler.co.uk/

It needs a battery connection but that's it as far as faff goes. I have one on my M900 and it's very good indeed. Thumbs Up

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:52 - 17 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

I am guessing I will need to remove fairings to get access to the vacuum?

It's just attaching a pipe to a throttle body. Normally you go under the tank of that.

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:59 - 17 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Define 'faff'.

I guess faff wise, you've got:

Where to locate the reservoir - same for all
    Running the oil hose to the sprocket - same for all
    Hose to a vacuum - not required for the Tutoro
    or cable to battery - not required for the Tutoro

This is where I found the Tutoro wins over Scottoiler's and other brands, you've got one less installation faff. Quite how much extra faff that is will of course vary from bike to bike. Weigh it up and make your choice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:18 - 17 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly a faff to undo 4 bolts and lift the tank, but if one system needs a vac line and one doesn’t……

Was just curious if the system is actually any good. I’ve used Scottoilers before which worked pretty well at a fairly flat angle, downside of this one is it has to be vertical which limits places to put it.

To answer the question of how often I ride in rain, it’s not a lot now. Used to be a year round rider but I’m old and used to heated seats in the car in bad weather now Embarassed Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 193 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1