Yet another "What bike?" thread.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:20 - 18 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

But talk to me about Street/Speed triples. Are there ones to get? Avoid? Common problems?

The one to get is the round headlight Street Triple from 2008 onwards, ideally a 2009 Street Triple R. The later models have different gearing and aren't quite as much fun. The 1050 Speed Triple is heavy and feels like a different sort of bike.[/quote]

If I get another Striple, it will be another '13-16 R model.
Longer first gear (less fun, but makes traffic light gp even easier)
Plastic headlights don't look as good, but they work better at night.
MPG in the 50's instead of early 40's
Location of wiring + fuses / battery / reservoir / rad cap. All slightly more thought out.
But these are not good reasons for many.

Round:
Reg Rec was originally old shunt style and failed. Think they were replaced with MOSFET units which became standard on diamond headlight ('13 onwards)
CCT - Not hydraulic originally, can make for a noisy engine. Unsure if actually resulted in problems.
The R + Daytona from.....2009/10, or 10/11. The rear shock adjustment was all or nothing. No comp damping, one click later, all the comp damping.
No immobiliser, can be stolen in seconds.

Diamond:
Uglier, but looks better now the whole world went angular / transformer.
The ECU is largely locked out compared to the round. Can't just upload new maps any more, requires Power Commander.
SAI Reed valve failed on mine around 30k and found a few cases online, seemed to only be the 13-16. A £60 easy fix, but I went down the blanking plates + O2 removal route. Which sorted out the small engine surge on closed throttle as revs drop around to around 4.5k
Unsure if round had similar emissions fuel mapping issues. It was really tiny and didn't bother me, but in corners had to be aware of it.
Lowboy exhaust, lost the classic look but makes maintenance less faff, less weight and lower down.
The cam sprockets are adjustable. On the first 12k service, Triumph use a tool to lock the cams so the sprockets can be re-set so timing marks line up. Tool is £80 IIRC

Both:
The wiring that routes via the headstock as a cover thats too short. Over time it gets moved back, exposing the wires to constant rubbing and they wear through / short on each other.
Fuel pump is integrated into tank. Has a filter that can become blocked leading to uneven running (not experienced it).

Avoid the 2012, I think it was basically the 2007-2011 model with updated headlights. 2013 was the proper first big change. Then again 2017 (but can't comment on the 2017+ versions)

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:19 - 18 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:

The R + Daytona from.....2009/10, or 10/11. The rear shock adjustment was all or nothing. No comp damping, one click later, all the comp damping.
No immobiliser, can be stolen in seconds.

My experience of the shock does not relate to this in any way. I've had bikes whose damping settings do nothing, and my ST-R is not one of them.

Yes, they don't have an immobilizer, but I don't use it for going to work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:46 - 19 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finally got time to reply... at 6AM on Sunday morning. Rolling Eyes

Suspension on any Triumph will be better than a 25 year old VFR on stock bouncy bits. If I go down that route and it's an issue, Maxton isn't horribly far away from me. Immobiliser wise, I'm not worried. Security office before bike shed, and locking ability at the new workplace. If they can get bikes out of the locked pen directly in front of my home, I'm not arguing with them, they're huge bastids or mob handed.

Mate landed another job, doesn't *need* to sell one of his FJ's any more, the bloke loves them more than I love my viffer.

List is narrowed more, from this thread, in no particular order...
Street/Speed triple. ZZR1200/Blackbird. Maybe a Tuono if a decent one comes in budget.

In more "locally sourced" leads... A current workmate keeps trying to flog me his 750 Brutale. To be fair, It's fucking lovely and passed an MOT at a known "bastard" centre with no warning ("yeah, bring it in now") despite only doing 26 miles in 2+ years. Has had a fairly recent ECU replacement after battery cockups. But it's an MV Agusta... I said no exotics, and although under cover, my bikes live outside.Opinions?

I'm also looking at a specific bike I wanted to buy a couple of years back... but logistics back then were not conducive. May or may not happen. Is wildly not sensible, but I'll take it above anything else in this thread, because, well, username...

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:40 - 19 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

I'm also looking at a specific bike I wanted to buy a couple of years back... but logistics back then were not conducive. May or may not happen. Is wildly not sensible, but I'll take it above anything else in this thread, because, well, username...

The best and worst reason to buy a bike Mr. Green
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 192 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3