Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Extinction Rebellion or how not to win an argument

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 17 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likely it’s a response to this 6 months ago;

Quote:
The government has scrapped its flagship green homes grant scheme, the centrepiece of Boris Johnson’s promise to “build back greener” from the Covid-19 pandemic, just over six months after its launch.

The abandonment of the £1.5bn programme, which offered households grants of up to £5,000 or £10,000 to put in insulation or low-carbon heating, leaves the UK without a plan for tackling one of the biggest sources of greenhouse gas emissions.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/mar/27/uk-government-scraps-green-homes-grant-after-six-months

Just a means to criticise the elected government (by demanding they reinstate a Tory policy Laughing ).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:37 - 17 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

So good idea, bad implementation. Shock, horror! That's never happened before in the history of governance therefore Boris is a Climate Denier! OMG I'm so upset I'm gonna tweet at my local MP!!!

Oh well, I suppose we can grudgingly accept that Insulate Britain has sparked a discussion... but they've also sparked a desire to run over protesters before the police turn up Twisted Evil (3 minute window, guys, #JustSayin')

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:24 - 18 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

The fact that insulation reduces fuel costs is hardly a revelation.

It will be to many.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:39 - 18 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

The fact that insulation reduces fuel costs is hardly a revelation.

It will be to many.

Apologies for getting the rainbow paintbrush out and painting some stereotypes but someone who doesn't understand the concept of insulation is probably in social housing anyway Wink

For everyone else it'd be fairer to say it's a question of priorities. Without government assistance do you get your car serviced or line the loft?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:01 - 18 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think how stupid the average person is and then consider the fact that half the population are even stupider.

For insulating houses and all other buildings we could have tax payer funded subsidies with multiple layers of tax payer funded bureaucracy but surely there must be more cost efficient ways of doing it.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:09 - 18 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something simple like "are you in council tax band F or lower? have free money for loft insulation!"

The problem comes with the checks & balances. Do we have spot checks to see the work's been adequately completed? Or instead do we draw up a list of accredited installers? Someone always figures out a scam and then the bureaucracy to counteract these edge cases makes the whole system unwieldy and inefficient Sad

Probably better to spend the money on a public information campaign: "did you know you could reduce your energy bills by £300 per year just through loft insulation!" and leave ppl to it.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:35 - 18 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Something simple like "are you in council tax band F or lower? have free money for loft insulation!"

The problem comes with the checks & balances. Do we have spot checks to see the work's been adequately completed? Or instead do we draw up a list of accredited installers? Someone always figures out a scam and then the bureaucracy to counteract these edge cases makes the whole system unwieldy and inefficient Sad

Probably better to spend the money on a public information campaign: "did you know you could reduce your energy bills by £300 per year just through loft insulation!" and leave ppl to it.

Then don't trust contractors (some politicians mate) and instead do it directly through local authorities. People scoff at LAs but in many ways a properly set up local government dept charged with doing a job can insure its done properly. It can be a way of properly training people as well.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:16 - 18 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, local councils could do more but after looking into Canadian politics (they have an election coming up) I'm of the opinion we'd have to totally rethink how they're funded.

The problem with power is ppl are loathed to give it up and (a suggestion in Canada) giving something like VAT to the local authority couldn't happen unless a nuke took out No.11 Downing Street along with all associated civil servants. They will say if they just give money to local authorities to organise things that some do it well and some fuck it up. Of course the Exchequer will frame it that all the Labour run councils are the worst Rolling Eyes

I dunno where I'm going with this but suffice to say governance of a country (or a county) is too important to be left to politicians to fuck up Sad

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:24 - 19 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The green homes grant was a disaster from start to fiinish, and it seemed that the left hand did not know what the right hand was doing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:02 - 19 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Think how stupid the average person is and then consider the fact that half the population are even stupider.

For insulating houses and all other buildings we could have tax payer funded subsidies with multiple layers of tax payer funded bureaucracy but surely there must be more cost efficient ways of doing it.

More than half, the average intellect is actually quite a high bar and a minority.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:05 - 19 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Yes, local councils could do more but after looking into Canadian politics (they have an election coming up) I'm of the opinion we'd have to totally rethink how they're funded.

The problem with power is ppl are loathed to give it up and (a suggestion in Canada) giving something like VAT to the local authority couldn't happen unless a nuke took out No.11 Downing Street along with all associated civil servants. They will say if they just give money to local authorities to organise things that some do it well and some fuck it up. Of course the Exchequer will frame it that all the Labour run councils are the worst Rolling Eyes

I dunno where I'm going with this but suffice to say governance of a country (or a county) is too important to be left to politicians to fuck up Sad

I agree, the problem with LAs is people don't recognize how important they are and just vote for whichever twonk plays the local twonk for local twonks card come council elections.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:42 - 19 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes right down to it what can central government do better than local government? Defence, foreign affairs and... I'm struggling now Smile

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:36 - 19 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
When it comes right down to it what can central government do better than local government? Defence, foreign affairs and... I'm struggling now Smile

Print money?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:38 - 19 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

What faith you have in local politicians!

Anyhow, they enact government policy, thus it’s basically well-paid admin at the senior levels.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:06 - 19 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
What faith you have in local politicians!

Anyhow, they enact government policy, thus it’s basically well-paid admin at the senior levels.

Expected to deliver statutory services but without a proper budget, thus leading to all sorts of box ticking which is essentially fraud.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:59 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sleeping Unwashed vegans sit in the road again. Rolling Eyes

Forty-one people have been arrested after climate activists held fresh motorway protests.

Insulate Britain blocked the anti-clockwise exit slip road at junction 18, Chorleywood, Herts, on Monday.

A separate protest took place near junction four (Stanborough Interchange) of the A1(M), near Hatfield.

A third incident saw Kent Police prevent protesters from gaining access to the M25 carriageway at junction 1a, the Dartford River Crossing.

The force said officers attended at 08:30 BST and arrested 12 people on suspicion of conspiracy to cause a public nuisance.

Hertfordshire Police said 13 people were arrested at the M25 and 16 at the A1(M).

The force said officers had been called to the M25 at 08:12 BST and to the A1(M) protest just minutes later.

Several people at both protests had been glued to the carriageway.

Highways England's traffic map currently shows no delays due to protests on the M25 or A1(M).

Ch Supt Nick Caveney said: "Protesters have made it clear that they intend to continue causing disruption.

"Not only is purposely blocking a highway incredibly dangerous, it also affects thousands of members of the public who are stuck in delays as a result."

He said the force had "robust "plans in place to minimise disruption and officers had been on the scene "within minutes".

In a tweet, Insulate Britain, which is calling for government action on home insulation, said blue paint had also been poured on to the road during the protest at the M25, "leading to further disruption".

One of the protesters, who did not want to be named, told BBC Three Counties Radio the blockade had been about "the millions of lives we are going to lose not just here, but everywhere, if we don't do anything".

He said: "The scale of what is coming with the climate crisis forces us to take action.

"The measures are disruptive and they unfortunately have to be. This is no fun doing this. We are running rapidly out of time.

"We are stepping up because the government is critically failing."

He said further blockades were planned and that protesters were willing to go to prison to make their point.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-58622088

Dance! Dance!

They're willing to go to prison to make their point so we should go with that idea. I'm sure they'll be happy making their point from Guantanamo Bay and it would discourage other idiots from thinking it's clever to glue themselves to any road.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:05 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pouring paint all over the road. How environmentally friendly Doh!

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:35 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant even understand what they are protesting about. I had my house insulated and solar panels fitted under some government scheme, so the government seems to be doing a decent job. The problem is most people don't apply for the schemes, I think I was the only one on my road that did it.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:42 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
I cant even understand what they are protesting about. I had my house insulated and solar panels fitted under some government scheme, so the government seems to be doing a decent job. The problem is most people don't apply for the schemes, I think I was the only one on my road that did it.

It seems that the schemes vary wildly in accessibility depending on area. My parents got their house done under a scheme but when I applied for my local authorities scheme I was ineligible.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:54 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
so the government seems to be doing a decent job.

Hmm, well the road to hell is often paved with the very best of intentions.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/cavity-wall-insulation-cwi-consumer-guide-to-issues-arising-from-installations

Started out as a good idea but then quickly turned into another absolute car crash.

There were whole swathes of houses across the UK assessed for cavity wall insulation by a group of 'surveyors' who worked for a cavity wall insulation installer who utilised Govt led schemes to essentially install cavity wall insulation into walls which were not suitable for it at all. Roll on a few years and damp / mildew / health issues are becoming all too apparent. Meanwhile the companies in question have would up their businesses and are now acting as Claims Management Consultants contacting....... umm...... all the people they sold dodgy cavity wall insulation to..... and charging a fee to write an engineer's report that it's unsuitable and then adding it to the claim so that it's recoverable from the insurance company who insured the installation firm - now in liquidation.

https://ciga.co.uk/cold-callers-and-claims-companies/

One such firm went from ~5 employees to 200 installers in about 14 months, and then went pop about 2 years after. Someone did alright out of it.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:55 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
I cant even understand what they are protesting about. I had my house insulated and solar panels fitted under some government scheme, so the government seems to be doing a decent job.

I'm guessing that was several years (or decades) ago?

arry wrote:
How environmentally friendly

Just like their homes!!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10006191/Ringleader-Insulate-Britains-M25-eco-mob-lives-house-no-cavity-wall-insulation.html

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:57 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2021/09/19/13/48102807-10006191-image-m-32_1632055166062.jpg

Well, at least he insulated himself.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:57 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Ayrton wrote:
I cant even understand what they are protesting about. I had my house insulated and solar panels fitted under some government scheme, so the government seems to be doing a decent job.

Must have been 2 or 3 years ago. Just had a look now though and it seems like you have to be on some kind of benefits or low income to qualify now so maybe things have changed.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:53 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning and brave to glue yourself to the tarmac but ring the police beforehand to make sure they stop all the traffic for you. "Lions led by donkeys" springs to mind Sad

Here's hoping one force goes "fuck it, I'm finishing my cup of tea first" and the blue paint is replaced by a red smear.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:36 - 21 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
Ste wrote:

Must have been 2 or 3 years ago. Just had a look now though and it seems like you have to be on some kind of benefits or low income to qualify now so maybe things have changed.

Thinking

Which scheme was it / is it?

Smart Export Guarantee?
Green Deal?
Green Homes Grant?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 211 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Page 31 of 55