Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First bike.. new Honda or old Suzuki

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

New Honda CB125F for £2800 or Old Suzuki Marauder 125 for £1400?
Honda CB125F
50%
 50%  [ 4 ]
Suzuki Marauder 125
50%
 50%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 8

Paulo87
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:05 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: First bike.. new Honda or old Suzuki Reply with quote

I'm doing my CBT on Wednesday and have ordered a new Honda CB125F in black for £2800.

I like that its brand new.. no one has messed with it or crashed it.

But I also really like the Suzuki Marauder 125. One is available nearby for £1400. It's a 2011 and done 15k miles.

I prefer the cruiser looks wise, and being 5'6, it might be a little easier to handle for me. But being 10 years old with multiple former owners is a worry.

Planning on riding it for 2 years and then upgrading to something bigger so I can carry my son on the back.

I don't have a clue what I'm looking for buying a used bike privately. Am I safer sticking with the Honda or should I get my refundable deposit back and get the Suzuki?

Cheers
Paul

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:14 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

125 cruisers are epically, moronically shit.

What's wrong with buying a used YBR / CBF and having the same discussion with yourself?

You don't mention if you've ever been on a bike before? If you haven't, and you've ordered a new bike before you even know whether you'll enjoy riding.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:09 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
125 cruisers are epically, moronically shit.

they actually kind of are to be fair

but cruisers of any stripe aren't exactly not moronically shit - they make some sense in the US where the roads are straight as dyes, and the sun of the southern states is so hot you need maximum drag to feel anything approaching cool

but in the UK, where roads are interesting and you actually need to lean to get a bike to go around corners, and where the heat of the day is rarely above uhm 15 centigrade - lol no

the low pegs, the frame geometry that sends shock absorber feedback straight up the rider's spine, the assless chappery of the costume, the open-face nose-patch injury beckoning bone juddering Sons of Anarchy fantasist silliness is kind of fun though

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:34 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

for a first bike id buy a cheap beater.

1. because you are likely to drop/crash the bike, whilst gaining experience. possibly more than once.
2. save your pennies for your second bike. when you can upgrade to something decent, from a 125.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Paulo87
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:34 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cbf is just the cheapest new jap bike - I'm not bothered about how it looks - buying new seems like the option with least hassle.
I don't mind a used ybr or a marauder.. but I'm not confident about buying privately. Also test riding someone's bike as a noobie seems a lot to ask Shocked

Paying less than £1500 for a good bike sounds ideal. I'm just not sure if I would get a good bike or a heap of junk! Is a 10 year old 125 in good nick wishful thinking?

If it is doable then I'm happy to read some buying guides to find what to look out for...

I can imagine on Wednesday having passed the CBT that I'll become impatient and not want to wait for the new Honda to be shipped...

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:16 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

surely you can find a newer 125 for that kind of cash, my 2017 Yamaha went for similar as i wanted a very quick sale

Paulo87
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:53 - 13 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRUN I wish I'd have seen your Ad!

There is a shortage! For example on Autotrader, there is 1 125cc jap bike for sale within 30 miles and up to £1500, the rest are sold, or scooters!

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-search?sort=price-asc&postcode=wv60da&radius=30&price-to=1500&cc-to=125&exclude-writeoff-categories=on

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:05 - 13 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above, get CBT done first. But, 2800 for a new cbf at the moment is excellent value. It won't lose a lot in 2 years, although after 6 months you'll want bigger.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:37 - 13 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Buy cheap 125
2) Ride it to motorcycle training school
3) Pass test
4) Profit!

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:36 - 14 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulo87 wrote:
There is a shortage! For example on Autotrader, there is 1 125cc jap bike for sale within 30 miles and up to £1500, the rest are sold, or scooters!

Autotrader isn't that great for low end bikes really. Tends to be dealers selling on there. Try Ebay or Gumtree. You included your postcode in the autotrader search link, so -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Motorcycles-Scooters/422?Capacity%2520%2528cc%2529=75%2520to%2520224%2520cc&Manufacturer=Yamaha%7CHonda%7CSuzuki%7CKawasaki%7CKTM%7CAprilia&rt=nc&mag=1&_dmd=1&_stpos=wv60da&_sop=7&_fcid=3&_udhi=2%2C527

But as everyone else has said, don't spend a fortune on a 125. Save your money for a big bike, you'll be bored of the 125 in 6 months.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:49 - 15 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulo87 wrote:
Also test riding someone's bike as a noobie seems a lot to ask

What you could do is ask them to ride it up and down the road in front of you, going through all the gears and testing the brakes.

Quote:
Paying less than £1500 for a good bike sounds ideal. I'm just not sure if I would get a good bike or a heap of junk!

If you look farther afield than your immediate local area you will greatly increase the chances of getting a good deal. Stretch out that radius to about 80 miles from where you live.

Last edited by Bhud on 02:00 - 16 Sep 2021; edited 1 time in total

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:03 - 15 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend the CBF125 over the CB125F, neither have the build quality of Japanese made CG125's of old, but I think the CBF125 is a superior to the CB125F

Paulo87
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 08:30 - 16 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I passed the CBT yesterday. Instructor said if I ride like that I'll pass the proper test no problem Cool

So I chose my 2nd bike... Suzuki SV650 lol.

Just need a 1st bike... I'm going to look at a 2017 YS125 for £1400 with 26k miles, but no MOT.
If that's no good I'll look at the Marauder.. and if that's no good I'll keep looking or wait for the Honda.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:31 - 16 Sep 2021    Post subject: Re: First bike.. new Honda or old Suzuki Reply with quote

Paulo87 wrote:

I don't have a clue what I'm looking for buying a used bike privately.

Paulo87 wrote:
I'm just not sure if I would get a good bike or a heap of junk!

Then....

Paulo87 wrote:

I'm going to look at a 2017 YS125 for £1400 with 26k miles, but no MOT.

Special Laughing

Presume you mean this one:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363537104090?hash=item54a47ffcda:g:vQIAAOSwvjRhOhPY

Cosmetic imperfections - dropped?

MOT history has it at 11,703 miles as at 11th September 2020. That means it's done a whopping 15,000 miles in a year which is a LOT for a 125. Advisories were a tight chain and a worn front tyre which doesn't suggest the very best maintenance. It doesn't mention service history in the advert so I'd guess it has none, or at best minimal, evidence of any maintenance carried out. The garage will no doubt have sloshed a bit of fresh oil in there - not like they can't afford a litre of semi - but they're also the type of garage that advertises bikes taken in PX as 'Sold as Seen with No WaRRAnTIE' which is about as legit as something very unlegit.

Frankly, you're on drugs.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:36 - 16 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulo87 wrote:
Just need a 1st bike... I'm going to look at a 2017 YS125 for £1400 with 26k miles, but no MOT.

I noticed that one too. Sounds too good to be true, so it probably is. I wouldn't even consider spending that kind of money on a bike without an MOT. A valid MOT isn't a guarantee that the bike isn't knackered, but the test contains some bare minimum checks that you definitely want done.

If a bike shop won't put an MOT on a bike they're selling, it's because they think it won't pass.

Paulo87
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:32 - 16 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah.. I was getting carried away.. the lack of MOT is a red warning flag!

This one has just popped up today, older but cheaper and 12 months MOT!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353676157555?hash=item5258bde273:g:H~cAAOSwlqZhQwZB

Looks good to me

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 16 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

YBR's are great bikes and perfect for beginners, I had a 2014 model until last year. Looks quite clean for a 2008 too, usually they all seem to get a lot of surface rust on places like the footpeg brackets.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:08 - 16 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulo87 wrote:
I passed the CBT yesterday. Instructor said if I ride like that I'll pass the proper test no problem Cool

So I chose my 2nd bike... Suzuki SV650 lol.

If that's no good I'll look at the Marauder.. and if that's no good I'll keep looking or wait for the Honda.

Why wait to get your full license?

Paulo87
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:09 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

The wife is scared I'm going to crash - and I need some time on the 125 to put her at ease.

I'm mainly looking at used YBRs and CBFs now - but if the right one doesn't show up, I have the new CBF available in a month.

This used one has no miles, only 1 MOT.. but its 2013. Something fishy!?! The description is giving nothing away. https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-details/202109197549655

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:13 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulo87 wrote:
Ste wrote:

The wife is scared I'm going to crash - and I need some time on the 125 to put her at ease.

She will be put at ease by you wobbling around with L plates on rather than you doing the necessary training to then get your full license? Confused

Paulo87
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:58 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

She will be put at ease by you wobbling around with L plates on rather than you doing the necessary training to then get your full license? Confused

Sort of... she's 8 months pregnant at the moment so conversations about motorbikes tend to be quite short. Plus I'm unlikely to have the time to do the training and test until at least the spring for the obvious reason.

After I chopped in my car for a bus, I suddenly got the urge to buy a bike... I'm happy with a 125 for now.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:04 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulo87 wrote:
Ste wrote:

I'm mainly looking at used YBRs and CBFs now - but if the right one doesn't show up, I have the new CBF available in a month.

This used one has no miles, only 1 MOT.. but its 2013. Something fishy!?! The description is giving nothing away. https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-details/202109197549655

Looks fine to me, I'd just ask the seller why it hadn't been used for years. You do sometimes see bikes with very low miles, I guess people buy them and lose interest after a couple of short rides.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:35 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulo87 wrote:
Ste wrote:

I bought a 10 year old Suzuki 125 with 90 odd miles on it. Basically brand new - it looked it, and it certainly felt it. Finding neutral wasn't anywhere near as easy as it would've been on a bike that'd been run in. So there's that.

Also, it was hunting quite merrily at idle - almost certainly because fuel had sat in the carbs for a while (I thus assume it hadn't been laid up properly, e.g. drain the tank, drain the carbs (or let it run until it stalls). Ethanol content of fuel can be problematic in these situations, because it kind of coats everything - and of course carbs have some very fine components (jets e.g.).

That 2013 bike won't be carb'd I shouldn't think, so I don't think you'll encounter the kinds of problems I did. Sometimes though fork seals can be a bit fussy if a bike's suspension hasn't moved for a long time.

All that said, I'd buy it if it was the bike I wanted and the price was right for me.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:51 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulo87 wrote:
Ste wrote:

Sort of... she's 8 months pregnant at the moment

Neutral

You'll be less likely to end up in a crash if you get some lessons.

Remember... having lessons and at some point getting your full license doesn't mean you have to get a bigger bike. You'll still be able to ride your 125, the only difference is you'll be less likely to crash. Smile

You'll probably want to get a bigger bike once you've ridden one and get to see how much easier they are to ride, how much of a better road presence they have and how the extra power means you're able to get out of problems easily but that's another conversation entirely.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:15 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

once the baby comes (congratulations), you may well find you no longer have the spare cash for another bike Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 189 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2