Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Apple: Don't attatch your iphone to motorbike handlebars

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:05 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Apple: Don't attatch your iphone to motorbike handlebars Reply with quote

https://gizmodo.com/apple-don-t-attach-your-iphone-to-motorcycles-mopeds-1847660042

Apple recently released a report suggesting mounting their newer phones to the handlebars on some motorbikes is likely to kill the camera due to high-frequency vibrations.

Would have been useful to know a year or so ago before the camera autofocus on my iPhone shit the bed, probably from using it as a satnav for long rides. :/

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:58 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall Quadlock had issues with that in the past and decided to do something about it:
https://www.quadlockcase.com/blogs/news/introducing-the-vibration-dampener
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:09 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not just apple, any mechanically stabilised lenses (OIS) are susceptible, e.g. Google Pixel 3 & 4, Nexus 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 9, S10.

Dropping a phone can also damage this mechanism.

I use my old screen damaged S7 mounted on the yoke when I need to see directions, otherwise I'll just use the phone in my pocket connected to a BT headset for voice only navigation.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:37 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Quadlock and an iPhone 12 Pro Max and I got the vibration dampener and my camera still works fine after thousands of miles.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above, any OIS gets issues with hard mounting. I too use an old phone (One+ 5T) for satnav duties.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:00 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

What software does everyone use for bike navigation by phone?

I use a dedicated Garmin device on my own bike, but last week had a day out on a courtesy/test-ride bike (an S1000XR) while my own was being serviced, and decided I'd use Google Maps to plot a nice circular route around North Wales, and navigate that using my phone. Was a shambles, because every time it came to a waypoint, it just stopped and asked me if I wanted to carry in to the next one or not. It would have been fine for a straightforward linear A-B route by the optimum path, but that's how I use satnav in the car, not on the bike.

So, am interested to know for next time.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Waze, had the same issue in Google maps, but I can dismiss it when it's mounted to the top yoke as my gloves are touch screen enabled.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:24 - 13 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

I use a dedicated Garmin device on my own bike, but last week had a day out on a courtesy/test-ride bike (an S1000XR) while my own was being serviced, and decided I'd use Google Maps to plot a nice circular route around North Wales, and navigate that using my phone. Was a shambles, because every time it came to a waypoint, it just stopped and asked me if I wanted to carry in to the next one or not. It would have been fine for a straightforward linear A-B route by the optimum path, but that's how I use satnav in the car, not on the bike.

Waze

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:13 - 13 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
I have a .. an iPhone 12 Pro Max

I thought better of you.. Rolling Eyes

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 13 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Embarassed I apologise for my mediocrity in phone choice Sir

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 13 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Embarassed I apologise for my mediocrity in phone choice Sir

I just checked and I can confirm it costs more than I paid for any of my current bikes. Shocked

.. but then I am a mean sod.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:16 - 13 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
I just checked and I can confirm it costs more than I paid for any of my current bikes. Shocked

.. but then I am a mean sod.

My phone costs £65 a month from Tesco mobile and comes with unlimited data, calls, etc on a 24 month contract. My deal was from upgrading and is only slightly better than what new customers are currently getting.

The device is certainly not worth the money. I mean, my 75" Philips Ambilight TV cost less at £999 on the nose. Phones are extortionate these days, it used to be that the equivalent Samsung was cheaper and better than Apple but now they are roughly equal on pricing.

EDIT: I also got the TV on interest free credit on Amazon!

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:30 - 13 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

You could try something like this for dismissing the message (unless you make your gloves touch screen compatible)

Mountain_Man86
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:36 - 18 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone used those anti-vibration mounts for their phones? Do they work to the extent that the phone's camera survives?

Brands like SP Connect sell them but its an expensive risk to take if they don't work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

matelot
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:35 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mountain_Man86 wrote:
Has anyone used those anti-vibration mounts for their phones? Do they work to the extent that the phone's camera survives?

Brands like SP Connect sell them but its an expensive risk to take if they don't work.

I've got the quad lock damper on mine and a good 6k miles later no issues.

Prior to purchase i did try and get confirmation of a guarantee not to damage the phone from quadlock at the time. However just got some none commital blurb back.

only downside for me is the damper increases the size of the mount quite a bit so it looks like a club sandwhch.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:03 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep my phone in my pocket. There's enough flab there to damp any vibration from the bike.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mountain_Man86 wrote:

I have a quadlock one on mine and it's worked brilliantly. I have a cheap J&S phone mount on my 125cc and I've had no problems from that but I think that's simply because it's so low quality that it's not rigid enough to be a problem and is naturally damping because it's so shite.

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:06 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each to their own and all that, but I can't see the attraction of paying the thick end of a grand for a phone, and then attaching it to the handlebars of a motorcycle. Come to think of it I can't think of the attraction of paying a grand for a phone full stop. I have a £100 Chinese handset which has handled the job of being a telephone admirably for the last few years, and is showing no signs of carking it.

About five years ago I scored a bag of sat navs from the local hospice shop for a fiver, figuring that if I attached them via one of those brake fluid reservoir clip mounts they'd do fine. Any that I lost due to either water ingress or falling off could be classed as wear and tear at that price.

One fell off - when I rode through the world's biggest pothole in the pissing rain - but the second is still going, having been thoroughly doused on several occasions to no ill effect. The out-of-date maps have never seen me lost either, even if a few newly-laid by passes have seen me allegedly riding through a field.

I just can't help feeling that there are better things to be spending that sort of money on...

Barnoe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:55 - 21 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Samsung S21 Ultra and use Quadlock with the antivibration mount.
Done thousands of miles without problems so far......

Well apart from charging my phone in heavy rain... my phone didnt like it and set an alarm off (moisture in Charging socket) i thought the noise was coming from the bike at first.
So much for the phone being waterproof :/

i didn't have any issues with my previous Samsung on this mount either.
Its not the cheapest mount to buy, but its really good.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:12 - 21 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barnoe wrote:
I have a Samsung S21 Ultra and use Quadlock with the antivibration mount.
Done thousands of miles without problems so far......

Well apart from charging my phone in heavy rain... my phone didnt like it and set an alarm off (moisture in Charging socket) i thought the noise was coming from the bike at first.
So much for the phone being waterproof :/

i didn't have any issues with my previous Samsung on this mount either.
Its not the cheapest mount to buy, but its really good.

Wifie came to me with that warning on her phone. How did it get wet? asked I as it was a lovely day. The waterproof bag leaked when paddleboarding says she. Why do you need your phone with you when paddleboarding? leave it in the effing car. Brick Wall

It still recovered though! Good old Samsung S7!

Mountain_Man86
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:15 - 22 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Re spending so much on a phone. I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max, which admittedly was the most expensive phone I had, and still have, ever bought. It is much more than just a phone however. The camera is excellent which means when i am out with my family and young son, I can take lovely photos which are good enough to print out and keep on my work desk. My company uses Apple products exclusively so an iPhone is a no brainer from that perspective over android devices. I therefore use it for business, which means emails, internet etc is very useful. Of course, cheaper phones will handle emails etc, but the camera is not something cheaper phones do as well.

The other thing I always consider when buying anything expensive (including motorbikes) is that the true cost is only the difference between what you pay, and what you sell it for. So my phone at £1199 will likely sell next year for around £400 - £500 second hand after using it daily for over 3 years. Therefore its real cost to me is actually £699. Over 3+ years, that makes the case only £233 per year. For the functionality it provides me, that is a yearly price worth paying in my opinion. However, I do accept it's a high initial outlay.

Re: mounts, I wonder which is better, Quadlock or SP Connect? Both seem to have good reviews.

I've recently come across the Beeline GPS navigation unit which looks smart. Very simple with great battery life and connects via your phone on bluetooth. However, its more expensive than just buying the Quadlock or SP Connect system and is yet another gadget that needs charging eventually. Why is life always full of so many decisions!?

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:41 - 22 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mountain_Man86 wrote:
Re: mounts, I wonder which is better, Quadlock or SP Connect? Both seem to have good reviews.

I've recently come across the Beeline GPS navigation unit which looks smart. Very simple with great battery life and connects via your phone on bluetooth. However, its more expensive than just buying the Quadlock or SP Connect system and is yet another gadget that needs charging eventually. Why is life always full of so many decisions!?

The Quadlock works perfectly well for my even more expensive and newer iPhone 12 Pro Max so I suppose it would work equally well for your phone. It gets a thumbs up from me Thumbs Up

Mountain_Man86
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:56 - 22 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mountain_Man86 wrote:

The Quadlock works perfectly well for my even more expensive and newer iPhone 12 Pro Max so I suppose it would work equally well for your phone. It gets a thumbs up from me Thumbs Up

That's a good vote of confidence! Thanks for sharing.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:18 - 22 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mountain_Man86 wrote:
So my phone at £1199 will likely sell next year for around £400 - £500 second hand after using it daily for over 3 years.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=iPhone+11+Pro+Max&_sacat=0&LH_ItemCondition=3000&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

Wink

Mountain_Man86
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:58 - 24 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like a pretty snazzy phone mount from Peak Design.. shipping late 2021 I believe.

https://www.peakdesign.com/products/motorcycle-bar-mount

Just a shame they don't include much detail about their alleged 'best in class vibration reduction'. Not cheap though.. perhaps Quadlock is still the best route based on others recommendations.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 208 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2