Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Opinions on this bike please (2007 Honda VTX 1300)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:47 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Opinions on this bike please (2007 Honda VTX 1300) Reply with quote

Thinking about putting in a bid on this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313676467497?hash=item4908930d29:g:3vMAAOSwc81hHij2

Anyone got opinions on this, I think it looks good Embarassed

I want to add a cheap cruiser to my fleet. Is there any other options? If possible don't want to go over £3,500. Am I being too cheap at that price point? Possibly have to accept a big of a "project bike". Sad

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:53 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks ok but it's an import so should look better than a same aged uk one.

Sold as seen trade sale is complete bollocks by the way and is the sign of a twat seller.

They are decent bikes and hold up well against any other metric cruiser.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:05 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with the bike, assuming it runs okay. However that seller always whacks on high reserve prices so don't be surprised if the auction ends "reserve not met" Sad Also, the official time is 8 to 10 weeks to get a plate although my father-in-law's Kwacker plate turned up in just over 6.

Didn't know you could get an MoT without a plate, how do the results get registered with the DVLA? Thinking

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:09 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin number, same as a bike with a plate.

It's that trade sale bollocks I can't stand.

Looks a nice bike mind.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:19 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bike is probably fine - I've no idea.

I've bought a few spare parts from that seller before, and I think I've cottoned on to what the deal is. They are breakers, and, what's more, they tend to overprice stuff. They're quite happy to sit on stuff for years, and are quite hard to knock down on price.

I've been looking for a spare engine (just as a backup), and they've got 2 of them. Both of them pretty grim, with no guarantee as to anything, and overpriced. Yes, I could just bite the bullet and take the plunge, but I'm not that happy with their manner of business to do that, so long as I don't need a spare engine.

I would buy from them again, depending on price, but if I was considering buying a bike from them, I'd need to see it in person first to check there are no missing parts or parts replaced with inferior ones. This is because they are breakers and they part out absolutely everything. Importing a bike from the USA and giving it nothing but a wipe-over before selling it on Ebay - that's lazy but hardnosed. Would it be, genuinely, a good deal? Don't know.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:49 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough, glad I asked then to find out the seller can be a little tricky. There's no realistic way I can get down there to see the bike before the end of the auction so it looks like I will need to let this one go.

If there's any other recommended cruisers that generally pop up in the price range - what should I be looking out for?

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:54 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are well known for nicking small but rare and valuable bits off bikes to sell seperatly. I.e. Aircooled RD350 airbox lids, Kawasaki Triple air boxes etc.

I wouldn't buy a bike off them without seeing it first.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Re: Opinions on this bike please (2007 Honda VTX 1300) Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
Thinking about putting in a bid on this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313676467497?hash=item4908930d29:g:3vMAAOSwc81hHij2

Anyone got opinions on this, I think it looks good Embarassed

Fat Angry Bike for a Fat Angry Scotsman - should work out fine. Just don't expect me to talk with you in public. They make me feel really rather queezy.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:38 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you’re gonna ride that, you’ll need tassels on your leather jacket Laughing
And some arse less chaps Laughing

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:25 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
If you’re gonna ride that, you’ll need tassels on your leather jacket Laughing
And some arse less chaps Laughing

Mate no shame here, I will being adding them to the shopping list along with my dildo seat.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:37 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weisse Schlange wrote:

Sold as seen trade sale is complete bollocks

I've seen that trade phrase used, why is it bollocks

fair trading act/consumer rights or summat like that?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:40 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a trade sale if it's bought by Joe Public and 'sold as seen' is what you get when you buy from a private individual rather than a trader.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:45 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a business account on eBay, you have no choice but offer a returns policy even if it's only 14 days.

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:59 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smashing bike mate. You want it you have it.

Can you get spares? (tyres/exhaust)

My last bike had the speedo on the tank I swore I'd never get another one with it on the tank, you have to constantly look down to observe info, i.e. keep taking you eyes off the road.

Are you happy to fill every ~100 miles?

Other than that, I love it.

Edit: That's one of them top notch windshields too.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:21 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

the bike looks too heavy to go around corners Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:27 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Scotsman I don't want to sound like an absolute nugget but given you've just chucked the commuter down the tarmac, and your 125 didn't look like its tyres had seen a corner in 2000 odd miles, I'd really 'stick to knitting' at the moment and just concentrate on getting the 650 back up and running, then spend some seat time bringing up the skills. 2 accidents on the clock already, if you're going to spend money, I'd invest in the training we have already spoken a bit about.

The cruiser thing can wait. Once you realise how motorcycles can actually corner, you'll be put off that whale of a thing, anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:48 - 21 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Mr Scotsman I don't want to sound like an absolute nugget but given you've just chucked the commuter down the tarmac, and your 125 didn't look like its tyres had seen a corner in 2000 odd miles, I'd really 'stick to knitting' at the moment and just concentrate on getting the 650 back up and running, then spend some seat time bringing up the skills. 2 accidents on the clock already, if you're going to spend money, I'd invest in the training we have already spoken a bit about.

The cruiser thing can wait. Once you realise how motorcycles can actually corner, you'll be put off that whale of a thing, anyway.

Arry don't pull your punches now mate damn Laughing

I admit I can't get the knee down though Embarassed saying that past few days I've been practising counter-leaning after watching this FortNine video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1mSavQ_DXs

Admittedly I am probably very neutral position. The last parts for the Kwak should be turning up this week along with the correct size flywheel puller. After Stinkwheel (I think that's who it was) talked about using the current (slightly) damaged rotor could get magnetic shrapnel in the engine I just thought fuck it, take the extra fitting time and get the replacement one on it.

Once the stator and stator cover turn up I will be wrenching on it the weekend after. Actually looking forward to it getting a chance to learn a bit. I am a bit worried about not being able to get the flywheel off or back on though. I printed out the forum advice to have at hand while I take a shot at it.

On the training subject, I definately think I will be doing it, I just don't know if ROSPA or IAM is the one to do? Is there actually any real difference?

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:49 - 21 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admit I can't get the knee down though Embarassed saying that past few days I've been practising counter-leaning ..

Eh, what is that? The 'murican equivalent to 'propping up the bar' ?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:09 - 21 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Eh, what is that?

The youtube video is of someone trying to make a comparison between apples and oranges.

'Counter leaning' is done when offroading or offroad style riding.

But on a road bike of pretty much any description you need to be leaning because if you try to counter lean then that's a quick way to learn all about high siding.

The big question I have from that video is how many people have crashed after watching it because they thought counter leaning would make them faster. Laughing Laughing

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:19 - 21 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
A100man wrote:
Eh, what is that?

The youtube video is of someone trying to make a comparison between apples and oranges.

'Counter leaning' is done when offroading or offroad style riding.

But on a road bike of pretty much any description you need to be leaning because if you try to counter lean then that's a quick way to learn all about high siding.

The big question I have from that video is how many people have crashed after watching it because they thought counter leaning would make them faster. Laughing Laughing

Embarassed so normal leaning on-road is the best? I am too trusting of F9.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 21 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Fat Angry Scotsman"]
Ste wrote:

if you are riding on uk roads fast enough to require your knees sliding along the tarmack, dont expect to live a long life.

that kind of aggression needs to be dealt with on a race track.

damn, when did i get old Sad

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:45 - 21 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Youtube channels make up new content all the time because that's their creator's job. Their business depends on getting views and interaction, whether that's through clickbait ("you've been cornering wrongly all this time!"), jokes, nice colours or whatever. Whether you agree or disagree with them in the comments, they win. This is because this is their bottom line:

https://gb.youtubers.me/fortnine/youtube-estimated-earnings

Any views, comments or votes feed the algorithm which suggested that video to everyone in the first place. You have to bear in mind as well that a lot of content is aimed towards American viewers, simply because America is a huge source of traffic:

https://www.reddit.com/r/IdiotsInCars/comments/pqe87x/i_was_the_idiot_today_slow_down_even_if_you_think/

Point being, at the end of the day, if you crash because of poor advice from a Youtuber, they aren't going to care about it or pay for anything. It's just business. A Youtube channel will typically start with paid-for views and subscribers, and when those views and subs reach a certain number, the algorithm starts suggesting those videos to viewers. You won't see most of the content posted to Youtube. You will only see what the algorithm wants to suggest to you, even if your search query is specific, in many cases.

Bearing all this in mind, the trust thing might be misplaced. Unless I'm missing something, there is no incentive on creators to provide accurate, authoritative, reliable or even responsible information.. Youtube is either information or entertainment, and there is a lot of misinformation out there and it isn't always easy to detect. It's fun to play with, though. You can make a video with purposely wrong info, and wait for interaction from people telling you you're wrong. It's just another way to monetise attention.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:15 - 21 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the watchword is "discernment."

Donut Media, Mighty Car Mods & Cleetus McFarland, easy - pure entertainment. The likes of FortNine & Engineering Explained try and put forth a more authoritative image but they're mostly just subtly shilling stuff.

Even when I look up a YouTube video of, for example, fitting an exhaust system for my bike it still amazes me that people even fuck that up or at the very least make things more difficult than they need to be.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 22 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specifically leaning off the bike either way (rather than just sitting neutrally) just isn't really needed for road riding at normal speeds.

Saying that, I counter lean whenever I'm doing a u-turn. It makes the bike incredibly stable, even at very low speeds. My instructor taught me to do it (after I'd dropped the bike) when I was learning and I've done it ever since. Haven't high sided yet...

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:58 - 22 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:
Haven't high sided yet...

That's a low speed manoeuvre so it's completely expected that you'll want to move you weight around on the bike.

Trying to incorporate counterleaning into normal everyday riding is when it could go very wrong.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 187 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2