Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Servicing a little-used car?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 19 Sep 2021    Post subject: Servicing a little-used car? Reply with quote

Just found out that my elderly mum has put her 10-year-old Golf through its MOT which it passed without issue. However, it turns out she apparently declined any form of servicing because she 'only drives about 1000 miles a year so it's not worth it'; and not only that but she did the same thing last year too, FFS (though not the year before!).

I've explained the error of her ways; ie that the need to service a vehicle is not just based on distance driven, etc and she's going to get it sorted out. However - I'm curious - under these circs, rather than just having a 'full annual service', what stuff that can legitimately and safely be omitted from that if you do bugger all miles?

Last edited by Freddyfruitbat on 12:14 - 20 Sep 2021; edited 1 time in total

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:53 - 19 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's start by say a "service" may entail actually changing things like replacing the oil but it should also be an inspection of wear parts like the brake pads. There's some overlap with what you'll get as advisories on the MoT but not necessarily the same things will get checked.

Personally I wouldn't panic, Golfs are solid cars, but you could help out by checking things like the oil and water levels and top them up if necessary.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:53 - 19 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say its a little used car...

But its also a little-used car.
So ... a car which is used but is very small (Golf, quite compact) but also not used very often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugGsgwJL8b8

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:54 - 19 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start with an MOT, deal with anything that might turn up, then do a basic service.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:58 - 19 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose another way of looking at it is "what are catastrophic failure points with active neglect?" and that would be lack of oil, lack of water, lack of brakes, fucked tyres and filling up with the wrong fuel. Everything else is pretty much fix it when it falls off.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:12 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry as the safety stuff is checked by the MOT. Then do the oil, water, other fluids. A 10 minute check if you have a cup of tea while doing it.

Wifie wouldn't open the bonnet from one year to the next if some warning light didn't shout at her. (then she'd expect me to open it Rolling Eyes ).

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:16 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Everything else is pretty much fix it when it falls off.

I don't know about that, I would rather someone noticed a fucked ball joint in a service before it failed while I was driving it. Embarassed

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:20 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

One would hope that the worn ball joint would be picked up on an mot long before it became fucked. That is the point of an mot in the first place.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:37 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more inclined to service by mileage than I am to service by year, however such short journeys will be harder on a car. On that basis, I'd book a service every two years. Tell her to drive the thing more, or get rid. It's pointless keeping a car and doing such few miles in it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:48 - 21 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm I am also reluctant to change oil yearly now on the cars I don't use often. They also get 5 year coolant to save bothering with 2 year intervals. Probably won't go beyond 2 years on oil.

The 4t bike burns a 750ml in 500 miles so It gets new oil very often as it is.. So that just gets done on mileage regardless of time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:45 - 22 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably it's stored outside. So that can introduce corrosion on brake discs, although probably not likely to be massively bad. Brake fluid; it'll need changing every few years irrespective. Oil obviously. Tyres might be perishing - I'd check these for cracks before and after taking it for a drive (as in my experience they sometimes don't present themselves until it's been driven). Although not an essential, and it might not even be fitted, but air-con generally benefits from regular use or else the seals can dry and fail. If the air-con is already broken then no use worrying over it, but if not it's worth getting your mum to use it regularly. Added benefit is it helps to dehumidify the interior of the car too (which may well be a bit damp, especially if it gets used for shorter journeys especially if when the weather is naff).

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 22 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Z does about 1000 miles a year, think I last dumped the oil 3 years ago.

My Zafira which does about 12000 miles, I dump the oil twice a year.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:57 - 23 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawakid wrote:
My Z does about 1000 miles a year, think I last dumped the oil 3 years ago.

One of my cars has full synthetic oil in it- I didn't bother changing the oil for 3 years.
But the mineral oil or semi synth oil in the other vehicles... it makes me think.

I would be tempted to buy one of those oil test send off kits that laboratories test and assess the life of the oil and the contamination.

But it's quite expensive at £50 or more- so a £6 oil change may aswell just be done instead if I ever did feel like it was something I doubted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:15 - 23 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time-based stuff that shouldn't be skipped IMHO:

- brake fluid
- cambelt.

The rest is distance-based and anything going wrong should be caught at an MOT (like degrading tyres, ineffective brakes and so on).

I took a similar approach to servicing my last bike - with lockdown it barely moved through 2020 so I wasn't going to shell out for a service to replace near-new oil and filters; the last service was a major one so the brake fluid and valve check were done.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:06 - 23 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBS FTW.
Condition Based Servicing.
Change when worn.

Critical item: brake fluid due to water absorption and 'sometimes' the fuel filter if diesel. (If water in tank it can grow bacteria that form a film/sludge which can block filters.

If run regularly as opposed to frequently then brake discs should stay rust free. As long as the brakes are actually used during regular infrequent trips.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 206 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1