Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Dual wheel monowheel trailer idea

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 01 May 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:47 - 11 Sep 2021    Post subject: Dual wheel monowheel trailer idea Reply with quote

Normally I have a nice chunky single wheel on this trailer but it's out at the moment so I can fit new bearings. In the meantime I threw on this pair of pointless spare wheels to move the trailer around in the garage easier and it made me wonder why this wouldn't work in real life. Ideas?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:08 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't one of them lift up when you corner? In which case, there seems little point in having two.

Might track straighter making it less weave-prone? Could go the other way too though.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 25 Oct 2018
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:03 - 13 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Won't one of them lift up when you corner? In which case, there seems little point in having two.

Might track straighter making it less weave-prone? Could go the other way too though.


I strongly agree with point 1, and once that happens I'd expect it to become very weavy.
____________________
Lexmoto Valiant 125; 94 CB400; 96 CB750F2; 81 CB750 (restoring); 2001 ZX9R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:24 - 13 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you're taking that to the landfill?

Most Clashed together contraption I've seen since Scrapyard Challenge Romania.
____________________
Disclaimer: The comments above may be predicted text and not necessarily the opinion of MCN.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:26 - 13 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
I assume you're taking that to the landfill?

Most Clashed together contraption I've seen since Scrapyard Challenge Romania.


You obviously haven't seem the bike it's attached to...
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 01 May 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:56 - 21 Sep 2021    Post subject: Contraption?! Reply with quote

I'll have you know that hideous contraption has done thousands of miles with never a problem. It does look a bit weird but it's actually the best trailer I've ever used.

As for the dual wheel nonsense, I don't think having two wheels close together would actually be all that different. I find that the one wheel trailer tows absolutely straight without any weaving or anything because of the monowheel effect. Of course the two tyres close together might make it more stable in a straight line but to be honest that's no different than what a single wheel feels like. A monowheel trailer just tows in a perfectly straight line behind the bike no matter what you do to it.

You can go knees down at a roundabout fully loaded and do all manner of silly shit with a monowheel trailer and the thing just tracks perfectly behind the bike. It's a different story with two wheel trailers which can sometimes try to kill you to death when you least expect it.

The only annoyance I find with a monowheel trailer is that at low speeds loaded up it can make your bike feel a bit wobbly, but that goes away the faster you go. At road speed you don't even know it's there.

Anyway, the tyres on these two little wheels are far too small for me to use. I'll be putting the nice chunky single wheel back on and run it half full of water with low air pressure as usual. Works great like that.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:51 - 23 Sep 2021    Post subject: Re: Contraption?! Reply with quote

lingeringstink wrote:
I'll have you know that hideous contraption has done thousands of miles with never a problem. It does look a bit weird but it's actually the best trailer I've ever used.

As for the dual wheel nonsense, I don't think having two wheels close together would actually be all that different. I find that the one wheel trailer tows absolutely straight without any weaving or anything because of the monowheel effect. Of course the two tyres close together might make it more stable in a straight line but to be honest that's no different than what a single wheel feels like. A monowheel trailer just tows in a perfectly straight line behind the bike no matter what you do to it.

You can go knees down at a roundabout fully loaded and do all manner of silly shit with a monowheel trailer and the thing just tracks perfectly behind the bike. It's a different story with two wheel trailers which can sometimes try to kill you to death when you least expect it.

The only annoyance I find with a monowheel trailer is that at low speeds loaded up it can make your bike feel a bit wobbly, but that goes away the faster you go. At road speed you don't even know it's there.

Anyway, the tyres on these two little wheels are far too small for me to use. I'll be putting the nice chunky single wheel back on and run it half full of water with low air pressure as usual. Works great like that.


"Goes away the faster you go."

If Chuck Jaeger was still using the forum you could PM him/her about that phernomenham.
Laughing
____________________
Disclaimer: The comments above may be predicted text and not necessarily the opinion of MCN.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

virus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:12 - 23 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not sure why you of all people are asking for advice on this one chap. We all know your creations disobey the laws of physics anyway. Laughing


Naturally i wont give any advice on trailers, youve seen how bad mine were. Laughing
____________________
own: 81 xs1100g...
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:16 - 23 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

virus wrote:

Naturally i wont give any advice on trailers, youve seen how bad mine were. Laughing


Did you ever find that video of the sideways trailer of death?
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

virus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:16 - 23 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
virus wrote:

Naturally i wont give any advice on trailers, youve seen how bad mine were. Laughing


Did you ever find that video of the sideways trailer of death?
.

you mean the flatbed beer shaker? Laughing Unfortunatley no footage has emerged, I'd love to see how shite it was now I understand it all a bit more. that thing was built using some hella dodgy practices, arc welding galv plate for a start Laughing
____________________
own: 81 xs1100g...
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:30 - 23 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weren't you lot involved with that dog trailer thing which was featured on police camera action / traffic cops / whatever program it was?

(I say 'you lot' in the most endearing way Laughing)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

virus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:18 - 23 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

short version; Yes.

Long version; Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessss.


Laughing
____________________
own: 81 xs1100g...
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:35 - 23 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the video for anyone who's interested in how to carry a dog in a trailer... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7Uj6_7Mm2s
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:13 - 23 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Weren't you lot involved with that dog trailer thing which was featured on police camera action / traffic cops / whatever program it was?

(I say 'you lot' in the most endearing way Laughing)


Yes.

Molly cam.

https://youtu.be/sQpM2vDAxk8

Virus's trailer was second only in lack of handling and wishful thinking school of welding adherance to the Burt Munroe-style wooden stick instead of sidecar wheel episode.

https://youtu.be/iVmBtjoqXfM

Actually, no. Now I watch it again, the sidecar crabs less.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:15 - 23 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always thought a pitbike rolling chassis with a vertical pivot attached to the front yoke would make a really good base for a monowheel trailer.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 01 May 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:57 - 27 Sep 2021    Post subject: Molly malarky Reply with quote

The first time I followed the Molly trailer on a motorway jaunt I learned that it was a good idea to keep a bit of a distance because of the consequences of a big slobbery dog in a windy trailer.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
  Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.52 - MySQL Queries: 17 - Page Size: 96.33 Kb