Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Aftermarket bearings?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:45 - 14 Oct 2021    Post subject: Aftermarket bearings? Reply with quote

I'm contemplating getting the swingarm of my old cbf500 powdercoated. Obviously this means removing and replacing bearings. Considering the cost of them if I get the measurements right can I go with aftermarket replacements?

Eg

Will part 21 here https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/4799223/cbf500a6-2006-ek-abs/swingarm be ok to replace with https://www.bearingsrus.co.uk/61904-2rz-skf

Can part 20 be replaced with

https://shop.marksman-ind.com/91071-mr7-003-equivalent-honda-bearing-16204-p.asp

I can't say I can see any issues with quality replacements

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:57 - 14 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:02 - 14 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can guarantee Honda bearings are just rebadged Koyo or some other Japanese bearings. As long as you get the size right ypou are fine.

The only thing I would say is it looks like you are replacing open bearings with sealed. That isn't a problem unless you have a grease nipple which means you won't be able to grease tham at a later date.

Saying all that, I would happly replace those bearings with shielded and just give the needle bearings a good grease on assembly.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 14 Oct 2021    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket bearings? Reply with quote

PotatoHead2020 wrote:
I'm contemplating getting the swingarm of my old cbf500 powdercoated. Obviously this means removing and replacing bearings. Considering the cost of them if I get the measurements right can I go with aftermarket replacements?

I did this same job on my ZX6R but there was a twist in that needle roller bearings (your part 20) come as “full complement” or “caged”. Some differences in speed tolerance and load bearing, although I don’t think they’re concerns here. My problem was the “full complement” rollers aren’t held within the shell so you have to find a bit of rubber hose to slide in, keeping the needle rollers up against the shell wall, otherwise they misalign during installation. I did this but couldn’t stop the little sods from falling out when installing the bearing. I got caged ones instead, which has been fine.

Having said all that, the alternatives you’ve found are caged. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:26 - 15 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 165 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1