Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A2 to A license

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Congoey
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:36 - 07 Oct 2021    Post subject: A2 to A license Reply with quote

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me if there are any cheaper bikes out there that are eligible to do an A license test on but can easily be A2 restricted and derestriced to effectively legally ride it to a test center?
I want to upgrade from an A2 to an A license but it seems to be a difficult task to do without going through a school and repeating what I've already learnt but on a slightly more powerful bike and spending around £600 which I would much prefer going towards a bike that I could enjoy for a bit then make some money back selling it on down the line.

Thanks

spongefinger
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:03 - 08 Oct 2021    Post subject: A2 bandit Reply with quote

Bandits can be restricted and can be picked up pretty cheap.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:02 - 08 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hard part is likely to be finding insurance for you to ride the bike on a provisional.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

spongefinger
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:21 - 08 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
The hard part is likely to be finding insurance for you to ride the bike on a provisional.

He has an A2 licence.

Congoey
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:26 - 08 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

spongefinger wrote:
arry wrote:

He has an A2 licence.

After talking to a riding school I realize that the issue is if I derestriced it for the test then I wouldn't technically be insured for my license, I am only covered if I'm doing it with a riding school it seems. I don't know if there are any companies that would insure me for the test part.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:46 - 09 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

spongefinger wrote:
arry wrote:

He has an A2 licence.

And when the bike is unrestricted and therefore outside of his licence category.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:58 - 10 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it and with a CB750, never restricted it, had a friend ride me to the test centre.
I'd recommend a bandit or sv650.

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:38 - 11 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Er6 is a piece of piss to restrict and de restrict again, it’s just a stop on the throttle and one screw to switch.

If you can find one for sale that is in that position then you’re golden, it’s a decent bike too.

If you get desperate I could be convinced to sell mine for the right price.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:10 - 11 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prawny wrote:
I could be convinced to sell mine for the right price.

Eyes on something else already? Laughing

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:35 - 11 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

£600 for a school? I'm pretty sure when I had my mod2 cancelled (the next unit to the test centre was on fire!) and had to apply to get my money back from the DVSA, the cost was around £60 or so in instructor costs. So for you, that'd be that figure plus the actual test fee itself.

Assuming you've not had your A2 licence for donkeys years, why not speak to the school you originally trained with, explaining you literally just want to do the mod 1 and mod 2 tests with no training on one of their bikes? They might just peg you along with one of their other students for their tests.

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:06 - 11 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
Prawny wrote:
I could be convinced to sell mine for the right price.

Eyes on something else already? Laughing

Always! Laughing

Not sure I don’t fancy something lighter and slower. But also I got an insurance quote on a 1200 GS and that wasn’t much more than I’m paying for the tangerine dream

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:18 - 11 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick look online shows up insurers that will cover you for your test on a bigger bike. As you’re under supervision any policy that is covering you on an a2 bike should cover you on a derestricted bike for the test, but I’d just give your insurer a call to confirm. You’ll need to restrict it again to ride home if you fail.

Mod 1 your insurance technically wouldn’t be valid anyway because you’re not in an area where the public generally have access so no need to worry there.

Edit - valid is the wrong word there, it’s not required as the RTA doesn’t apply, if you drop it and you’ve got comp you could still claim for the damage, but you don’t need PL cover.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 11 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prawny wrote:
Always! Laughing

Not sure I don’t fancy something lighter and slower. But also I got an insurance quote on a 1200 GS and that wasn’t much more than I’m paying for the tangerine dream

I am half considering trading in my 125cc against a Royal Enfield Meteor 350cc (in Supernova trim). Then using that as my moon-mile commuter bike. Just because taking the 125cc onto the motorway always feels ropey as fuck.

I think I will keep the ER6F as my big bike though, recent events taught me it's powerful and fast enough and I need to get way more miles in on it before I even consider moving up again.

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:39 - 11 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prawny wrote:
Always! Laughing

I am half considering trading in my 125cc against a Royal Enfield Meteor 350cc (in Supernova trim). Then using that as my moon-mile commuter bike. Just because taking the 125cc onto the motorway always feels ropey as fuck.

I think I will keep the ER6F as my big bike though, recent events taught me it's powerful and fast enough and I need to get way more miles in on it before I even consider moving up again.

Yeah a solid plan that. No chance of me having multiple bikes unfortunately, I was going to try and get a demo on a Himalayan when I took mine in for its MOT but I’m working from home due to a COVID outbreak so it’s just going to the local garage instead. The amount of time I’m planning on spending on the motorway I think a smaller bike would do.

I hate revving the nuts off mine though, I’d love something with super lazy power that I could never need to get past half throttle on and do 70 at super low rpm. Think I’d need a big feck off tourer for that though and it would be crap in traffic at the ends of my commute. I want to try a CRF300L but I’m worried I’d miss the power on the odd occasion I actually use it.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:36 - 15 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prawny wrote:
Always! Laughing

The Meteor isn't likely to be much faster than your 125 really. It's 20bhp vs the claimed 14.5bhp of your Zontes, but it weighs 190kg. It might have the edge on top speed (eventually), but I doubt acceleration will be much different.

Motorway commuter bike is bang smack in the ideal capabilities of the Kwak. You want 30bhp or so minimum really for comfortable motorway work, ideally closer to 50bhp so you've enough pace to escape from situations and manage speed differences between lanes (e.g. pulling into a faster moving lane without needing a massive gap to get up to speed in).

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 15 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
The Meteor isn't likely to be much faster than your 125 really. It's 20bhp vs the claimed 14.5bhp of your Zontes, but it weighs 190kg. It might have the edge on top speed (eventually), but I doubt acceleration will be much different.

Motorway commuter bike is bang smack in the ideal capabilities of the Kwak. You want 30bhp or so minimum really for comfortable motorway work, ideally closer to 50bhp so you've enough pace to escape from situations and manage speed differences between lanes (e.g. pulling into a faster moving lane without needing a massive gap to get up to speed in).

I knew the Meteor didn't have much more HP than my 125 but it's got more than double the torque so I thought that would make it much better to ride. Then again I actually didn't consider that the Meteor weights 191kg (wet) compared to the Zontes 109kg (dry).

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:18 - 15 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your situation I would be flogging the 125 and using the cash as deposit on the ER6 replacement ‘recreational’ bike as the ER moves up to commuter duties.

Mine’s just cost me a fair bit to get through the MoT so it’s gone from being a trade in to the year ‘round ride. I’m stalking the auctions for something ‘different’ for occasional use.

…until I change my mind again. Laughing

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:14 - 16 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithy wrote:
…until I change my mind again. Laughing

Laughing much the same as me
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 164 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1