Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What have you done to your bike today?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:38 - 13 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank f*ck for that!! On both counts ; - )

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:41 - 13 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers! Thumbs Up

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:30 - 14 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJP wrote:
Soft tissue injury only (spent a large part of the day being X Rayed in A&E). Now begins the insurance shenanigans. Fortunately, I have witnesses.

"He reversed into me" etc etc.

Glad not potato, hope it all goes as smoothly as possible. Did you take legal protection on your insurance? I always have and on the couple of times I've had to use it, it has been very cost effective.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:01 - 14 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried to get an old Triumph started today. No idea where it's been sitting for the last few years probably somewhere dry like California as the rust is all minimal surface stuff.

Went with cheap PWK knock-offs just for testing. One carb was fine but couldn't get the other to stop leaking. Pissed about with the tang but gave up and just ran a tube off the overflow. Funnily enough it only shows the level just above what it should be. Oh well, good enough to run...

https://img.youtube.com/vi/WNgFrsqhmeM/0.jpg
https://youtu.be/WNgFrsqhmeM

No choke, no Easy-Start/Start-Ya-Bastard spray required Smile

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:11 - 14 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve long neglected the ‘99 ZX6R’s second valve clearances check, in fact the workshop I respect said they don’t bother unless the bike has problems. The first check and adjust (shim under bucket) was done by another workshop, now retired. Well, lately it’s had difficulties starting, although otherwise it’s been a rocket ship. I’d also wondered whether the intake roar had become extra raucous and was trying to tell me something. I’ve no idea if that’s a valve clearances thing but anyway, it’s off the road so I can perform my first valve clearances check (and adjust?). I’ve said it here now so it’ll have to happen. For me this will be a long job. I must get the ‘03 R1 an MOT, even though it’s not the best winter bike of the two.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:15 - 15 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the Snarley out, round to Chelmsford - 7.15 am, very early morning for me. Nice to be riding away from the traffic in commuting time of day.

Dodged the rain (managed to get there and back without actually getting caught).

Did my Mrs Doyle act for the morning, stole some succulents out of the garden of the departing fam ( Wub ) and came back home the same way.

Caned it, a bit. For me. Laughing
Another good autumn riding day.
Cool

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:00 - 15 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked it up from the dealer Smile

https://www.bikepics.com/picture_upload/photo/bikepics-2822622-full.jpg
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

stevo123
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:35 - 16 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice machine!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:52 - 16 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

went out for the last ride of the year this morning, unfortunately it started drizzling as soon as i left home and got consistently worse, so only managed about half an hour.
when i got back i turned off the fuel and ran the bike until it stalled, put it on the rear paddock stand and oiled the chain.

thats probably me done until the spring Sad

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:48 - 16 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a deposit on another one. Despite my resistance in my from my what bike thread, I'm getting another VFR750. This time a '92 3rd gen, appeared locally at the right price. Pick it up in a couple of weeks when schedules align. Reckon it'll go straight through an MOT.

Cleaned rear caliper on current 4th gen and greased sliders etc.

125 is going back to the lad I got it from after a top end rebuild.

Last edited by ThatDippyTwat on 19:48 - 16 Oct 2021; edited 1 time in total

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:21 - 16 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A problem with a Harley Sportster: engine error complaining about the rear oxygen sensor not seen and the front malfunctioning. A bit of testing and I believe the rear is fucked and taking out the front (the sensor outputs are separate but they share the same circuit for the heating elements) as disconnecting the rear seem to make front happier.

We'll see when the replacement sensor turns up.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:50 - 16 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my Sportster is too old to have sensors ... Thinking

However, it does have a gear change lever which seems to enjoy jumping off the splines when I least expect it, not least of which being halfway down a dual carriageway.

Nursed it round the next roundabout, in third (I think) and back up to the roundabout that I remember losing it at.

Luckily the lever was about 10 metres south of the junction, so I was slightly less likely to get borked by traffic coming along behind me (luckily early-ish, 10 am) Saturday morning traffic, I had to slow down, stay running, change hands and lean over to kick the damn thing up.

Cars luckily not swinging too fast out of the roundabout.

So I stuck it on, gave the damn lever a kick into place, and nursed it first to Halfords, and then back home without losing it again.

Managed to get some advice from a neighbour about how to fix it back on, so got my hands a bit dirty.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:01 - 16 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

Managed to get some advice from a neighbour about how to fix it back on, so got my hands a bit dirty.

thats the prettiest nails ive ever seen on a grease monkey Laughing

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:03 - 16 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
hellkat wrote:

I reckon Nobby at the Weekend has that beat...

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:07 - 16 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

I decided it was time to go back to being a bit glam.
Mr. Green Thumbs Up

They may not last.
I was opening up the nubs on the battery for the GSX this afternoon to put some distilled water in, and some kinda water-lookin stuff came up when they came off.

I think it might have been battery acid, but I rubbed it off a bit sharpish then went to wash my hands and there seems to be little ill effect so far. Shifty

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:49 - 16 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably needs welding on.
Not your nails Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:05 - 16 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm thinking about loctite, but I'm a bit nervous about committing to that.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:19 - 17 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Well I'm thinking about loctite, but I'm a bit nervous about committing to that.

Put up some pics in a thread in the Workshop. I'm not familiar with the mechanisms, Tractors, sorry, Harleys use, to affix the gear lever, but someone will be, or we can work it out. Usually it's a splined shaft (not that kind, calm down), and the usual culprits are splines that are manky and need a clean, the pinch bolt was loose/fucked, or worst case splines are fucked. the first two are easy enough to sort, the latter is garage time, RIP bank account.

You should trade Nobby nail tips for shaft advice.

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:48 - 17 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

Look at that wee smiling face ! Awwww.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:54 - 17 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
hellkat wrote:

Put up some pics in a thread in the Workshop. I'm not familiar with the mechanisms, Tractors, sorry, Harleys use, to affix the gear lever, but someone will be, or we can work it out. Usually it's a splined shaft (not that kind, calm down), and the usual culprits are splines that are manky and need a clean, the pinch bolt was loose/fucked, or worst case splines are fucked. the first two are easy enough to sort, the latter is garage time, RIP bank account.

You should trade Nobby nail tips for shaft advice.

Well it should be two things: the pinch bolt clamping down the lever and also sitting in the relief on the shaft. It should be the case that the pinch bolt needs to be entirely removed to slide the lever off the shaft.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 17 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulled front calipers, cleaned up pads, cleaned pistons and overall worst muck, greased slider, put back together.

Got a mahoosive flatspot on the tyre from a bus driver blindly pulling into our lane when trying to pass parked cars on his side, causing the car in front of me to lock up, and me to have to head for the space between the car and the bus. No contact, but it was a green rizla away from it. Words were said by both me and the car in front. Bus driver gave no fucks, muttered bullshit about schedules.
Easy-X wrote:
It should be the case that the pinch bolt needs to be entirely removed to slide the lever off the shaft.

I know HD like to do things differently, so I was hedging my bets, but assuming it's as you say and all is normal, then either the splines are wallered out on either the lever or shaft, possibly both, or the pinch bolt isn't pinching (my guess).

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:48 - 17 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
"He reversed into me" etc etc.

Glad not potato, hope it all goes as smoothly as possible. Did you take legal protection on your insurance? I always have and on the couple of times I've had to use it, it has been very cost effective.

Yep, I was dreading that.

But the other side's insurers have now accepted liability - so that's one battle sorted.

The damage looks fairly superficial so unless there's something I've missed, I'm hoping they'll just fix it and bung me some compo for pain and suffering.

And no, I don't bother with Legal Insurance (after a bad experience with them) I've just bunged this to Mr "No Win, No Fee" so we'll see how I get on.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:30 - 18 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleaned it, put the cover over it and put it away for a few weeks. I don't use it to commute this time of year, too many slippy leaf patches on the roads i use. Will drag it back out for a few weeks when the damp has fecked off and it's cold but dry.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:32 - 18 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJP wrote:

Yep, I was dreading that.

But the other side's insurers have now accepted liability - so that's one battle sorted.

The damage looks fairly superficial so unless there's something I've missed, I'm hoping they'll just fix it and bung me some compo for pain and suffering.

And no, I don't bother with Legal Insurance (after a bad experience with them) I've just bunged this to Mr "No Win, No Fee" so we'll see how I get on.

Hopefully that's all there is to it - at least the liability is sorted, that's the biggest hurdle sorted.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:57 - 18 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOT'd it.

One advisory, and I knew it was there, new slider hadn't arrived in time to change it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 162 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 10 of 48