Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What have you done to your bike today?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:11 - 18 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did I do to my bike today? left it covered up cos it's pissing down and my Rainpal never got delivered.

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:20 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arghh. Fitted Hel brake lines to the laddies ZX6R

Bloody sure they put the yellow tag on the wrong end of one.
Took a power of lining up thats for sure.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:49 - 25 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to the Super Sausage to meet a mate..
Saw a Husqvarna 401 thingy in the car park. Liked it..
https://photos.app.goo.gl/HtbXmFaun5Jifsqy8

My FZ in the far background.. got home and dumped the oil and drained the carbs for winter..https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/C68uUlCO7uFCVEp8f5xTaNM7JFdJS2-MK6ELgNs2Xfp_FUsuOb8O2jrWlxjSdCMGaD_V4pMnzkJPxtxXNZZStqC-ay5DPTjIDyOjZ-06AgvjxZ6r8U15BD1N9gGalkDir5ZkaOMe9-FBe1e15RLQV2e5dVyvEp6Xi4ZhUIR1olUZx3wANOSOhLYJQnivbua2bX6Y8pjteR3fHQudfFKWVuimlJ0C6JHP02l_sHKNgfZSWX7WgDEbR0jvfMgz_3Q2wO20Eoxf63KobqpQ2HGVJd6Ge3a8Qibju6zgyX56GO9TpaDJE69TJBM1wHt3Gvip70I0JHJNP9YaMeL1cgbbnKfGnpCp0slw1djgy-Acr6aLdJr78eoeIRf9Pqa63pcAISzxSvLg3mAgTv8-iiS-0mDJR-N0l-EM_sf89oFAVJU90LS5LbqCVJ7D43D8bBroLPoD3hjmgeKs20jcbJD_vxwNk4BKMYGDQlA_EWDlSzHx4UqgMLDRD-KU18spDhMDI2C5gw55KFsXLRLgS-vOmujOsVDx9bilJqrYcC5oLBcH86Zpskjd9EKRSRMkavDM00UxmFo4Gaxy8afGc8Nj5rNlrCdrmlG84ZLZy4tdtEcECHex3ll2gBqR21_R1cJUgXQYR3QutXuABB8iNFSNOX6mR6jXDjja5w4e5-TeskKIG9we_b2pFl6HYsL45mW_pjyNlcmA2-7XmYImLJCumcd-=w1292-h969-no?authuser=0

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 25 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weisse Schlange wrote:

Just got some Hel lines for my sv650 and one of the banjo bolts came with a tiny hole. Emailed Hel and they said it's a normal manufacturing defect but to go ahead and use it. Doesn't give me much confidence in the quality control.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 25 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
Weisse Schlange wrote:

Just got some Hel lines for my sv650 and one of the banjo bolts came with a tiny hole. Emailed Hel and they said it's a normal manufacturing defect but to go ahead and use it. Doesn't give me much confidence in the quality control.

Don't worry - it only squirts fluid out when you pull the lever. It'll be fine.

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:52 - 25 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hurriedly and slapdashedly (I’m sure that’s a word) fitted some heated grips to mine yesterday after nearly losing my thumbs to frostbite on Thursday morning.

My good they look cack, going to pop the tank off and hide the 6 miles of extra cable that Oxford provide later in the week/next weekend and then research how to wire them in so they’re not going to run my battery down if I forget to turn them off.

The whole job was made more difficult by the discovery that the old grips were tapped in somewhere around the back of the headlights and wires from previous are’s grips where just hanging loose.

It’s beyond my current knowledge, so I’m going to have to track down a cheap Haynes manual so that I can do it properly

Last edited by Prawny on 18:30 - 25 Oct 2021; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:28 - 25 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hooked up the bike to my Optimate trickle charger.
And looked at it forlornly as the rain pissed down Sad .

I love this country, but sometimes I fkin hate it Mad .

I have the time and opportunity to get out and about on the bike and it rains like a feckin monsoon Sad .

At least my battery is charged!

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:01 - 25 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

Don't worry - it only squirts fluid out when you pull the lever. It'll be fine.

I thought so, I just wanted to be completely sure before I used them. Fair play to Hel though, they responded to my email very quickly.

Prawny wrote:
I hurriedly and slapdashedly (I’m sure that’s a word) fitted some heated grips to mine yesterday after nearly losing my thumbs to frostbite on Thursday morning.

My good they look cack, going to pop the tank off and hide the 6 miles of extra cable that Oxford provide later in the week/next weekend and then research how to wire them in so they’re not going to run my battery down if I forget to turn them off.

The whole job was made more difficult by the discovery that the old grips were tapped in somewhere around the back of the headlights and wires from previous are’s grips where just hanging loose.

It’s beyond my current knowledge, so I’m going to have to track down a cheap Haynes manual so that I can do it properly

Don't the oxford grips just wire straight into the battery and have an auto shutoff feature so it doesnt drain? I've been looking at getting some and that's what their install video says to do.

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:06 - 25 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:

Don't the oxford grips just wire straight into the battery and have an auto shutoff feature so it doesnt drain? I've been looking at getting some and that's what their install video says to do.

The good ones do, I’m cheap so I bought the £35 commuter ones and they don’t have that feature, just a metal toggle switch and only 2 heat settings.

Mysteriass
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:46 - 25 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prawny wrote:

You can buy inline discharge protection circuits. It's a relay that will disengage load when the battery or power source goes below a threshold.

IMAGE: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/uwsAAOSwxNReVrjF/s-l600.jpg

Some examples:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154625388559
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252928364204
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252928364204

You could put that circuit in a box, fuse it, and then fuse the fuse. Then use a hot glue gun to seal it.

Or put a volt meter on your dash. Every bike should have one.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:58 - 25 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also try and find a switched feed. Quite a few bikes have a specific accessory socket if you stare at the wiring diagram hard enough. Just check the current rating.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:50 - 26 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted a new battery. Worth noting it actually sits on its side in the tray for the XSR (probably the MT07 too) precluding the use of an unsealed battery, no biggie in this day and age. The usual palaver with the battery terminal nuts Smile

Mysteriass
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:47 - 26 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally laid out a tenner for new handlebars to replace my bent ones (Previous owner damage of course)

They were only bent by about a centimeter but it was enough to niggle my neural autopilot; forcing me to acknowledge a slight manual correction on every bend to the right.

Took all gizmo off the old bent ones earlier. Washing up liquid under the grip-lips to free them up.

Then took a look at the new one's (for a tenner) and... the hole for the throttle switch-gear tag is drilled in the wrong place.

So tommorow, the new handlebars will be drilled. It's all absolutely bloody fascinating. The suspense. Could write a thriller about the stuff that goes on in this shed when I receive crap / bust / inscrutably configured parts off ebay.

(I ordered a front wheel couple weeks back. It had a back tyre on it...and they'd put its rotation on the wrong way round - How. Do. You. Confuse. A. Back. Wheel. From. The. Front? - Yes it's a disk brake front wheel. All you can do is laugh, or cry...at the absolute state of it all)

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:10 - 27 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted Titan Classic Titanium disc bolts to the CBF500. Sick of the rust spots on the standard ones. Just the wheel spindle to go now and the rest of the front bolts are all either Titanium or High Tensile SS.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:28 - 27 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in them last week I wasn't happy with the sliders, so I replaced them and the slider covers in all the calipers. Chances are they're original so 25 years old. red rubber grease on the actual sliders, copper grease on the threads and between the slider head and cover.

Chucked some W4 clamps on the downpipes and link pipe as the W2's were getting a bit cruddy. Still waiting on a V-Band turbo clamp so I can try to seal the exhaust onto the cone gasket properly. They've sent the wrong one 3 times so far, and even my mates drag bike (1300-ish cc oil burner with a turbo) doesn't need a 90mm/3.5" pipe, but whoever was in QC assures me they've personally checked it's a 2"/51mm clamp in the post this time, but I'm not holding my breath.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:05 - 27 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prawny wrote:
I’m cheap so I bought the £35 commuter ones and they don’t have that feature, just a metal toggle switch and only 2 heat settings.

Relax, you're not cheap! These are cheap!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154311147226?

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 27 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Prawny wrote:
I’m cheap so I bought the £35 commuter ones and they don’t have that feature, just a metal toggle switch and only 2 heat settings.

Shocked

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:46 - 27 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mysteriass wrote:
(I ordered a front wheel couple weeks back. It had a back tyre on it...and they'd put its rotation on the wrong way round - How. Do. You. Confuse. A. Back. Wheel. From. The. Front? - Yes it's a disk brake front wheel. All you can do is laugh, or cry...at the absolute state of it all)

I stare long and hard at the rotation mark on bicycle tyres and still it's 50/50 whether I get it right Laughing

Mysteriass
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:59 - 27 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

I stare long and hard at the rotation mark on bicycle tyres and still it's 50/50 whether I get it right Laughing

But you know your life isn't on the line with a bicycle unless you've got some thousand pound racing machine or legally challenged e-bike. It'll just "zhum" on the road a bit more than usual. I'm fairly certain it's safe to say you take a bit more care with a motorcycle.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 27 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

Shocked

I didn't buy them.. Smile

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:23 - 27 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to wrestle the engine out of the old Triumph without taking off the head or rocker covers:

https://i.imgur.com/dDALcUj.jpg?1

Looks quite clean for its age, it did conceal a little patch of dirt on the frame:

https://i.imgur.com/NkR0VdF.jpg?1

Sick

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:41 - 27 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Wow! There is a limit to how much effort I’d be willing to go to to save money and that is past it.

As an aside I tried my new grips this morning and they were super toasty? Think I’ll be able to use my summer gloves much longer than expected now. Huzzah!

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:48 - 03 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headstock bearings in the CBR were notchy, got picked up on the MOT. I'd not noticed them and put the slightly hard steering feeling down to worn tyres. After putting a new set of tyres on it felt normal, until it was pointed out on the test.

Riding home after the test failure made me realise how awful the steering was lol.

New set greased and put in, new seals too. Can't wait to ride it as it was handling really nicely even with the issue on its new tyres, and with a washer on the rear shock the tip in was superb.

Mysteriass
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:56 - 03 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
Headstock bearings in the CBR were notchy, got picked up on the MOT. I'd not noticed them and put the slightly hard steering feeling down to worn tyres. After putting a new set of tyres on it felt normal, until it was pointed out on the test.

Riding home after the test failure made me realise how awful the steering was lol.

New set greased and put in, new seals too. Can't wait to ride it as it was handling really nicely even with the issue on its new tyres, and with a washer on the rear shock the tip in was superb.

Couple weeks back I had just rebuilt half of an accident damaged bike.

I'd regreased the head bearings and re-adjusted them because some clown had tightened them right down. I couldn't see any damage to the bearings or race. I ran a toothpick over the surface of the races - they all felt perfect.

I took it for a spin. Seemed good. Got back, put the bike on centre stand and lifted the front wheel to give the steering a final check by giving the forks a tug. Yoke was rocking. Shit! So I was thinking there was something seriously wrong and that was why the last guy had fully tightened the steering bearings.

So, I take the clocks off, the top yoke, the handlebars. Several scratches on the fuel tank later, I tighten the steering bearings down as they were when I got the bike.

The yoke was still rocking.

Now this is going to be expensive, right?

To cut that little story short. It wasn't the yoke that was rocking. The steering bearings and my adjustment were fine. The centre stand pivot in the frame had just decided to oval off at that moment. This caused the whole bike to rock ever so slightly, perfectly simulating knackered steering bearings when I tugged the forks.

So, I'll have to make some kind of collet, bush or washer for the centre stand pivot. But it can wait. Some fat cunt has obviously had their way with it over the years and now I'm the one landed with the consequences of someone else's fat arse -> https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/001/520/849/f33.png

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:29 - 04 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ weird. Nipping them up is easy, getting the old buggers out is a pain in the arse. At least you've got fresh bearings in.

Can you bore out and fit an insert or sleeve where the centre stand goes through the frame/engine? Admittedly it'll be a large insert, but better than the alternative.

Maybe do away with the centre stand if it has a sidestand too, or just live with it?

Last edited by Hong Kong Phooey on 12:53 - 05 Nov 2021; edited 1 time in total
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 164 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Page 11 of 47